Author Topic: Interesting words by the "cup thrower"  (Read 1387 times)

Guest_Randy

Interesting words by the "cup thrower"
« on: November 23, 2004, 03:26:52 PM »
From Detroit . . .

The man who prosecutors say ignited a brawl at the Pistons-Pacers game served time in prison for assault and then violated the terms of his release by driving drunk in 2002, according to authorities and public records.

John F. Green, 39, a home renovator from West Bloomfield, first declined to say whether he was the man who precipitated the melee Friday by lobbing a plastic cup with ice at Pacer Ron Artest. Later, he denied that it was him.

"It might look like it from the video, but I didn't do it," he said Monday in front of his home. "If they're going to charge me, charge. But what are they going to charge me with?"

By Monday night, however, his lawyer backtracked from the statement.

"If he did it, the most he did was throw a cup of ice," attorney Sean Patrick Smith said. "Now he's being made out to be a monster."

The person who identified Green from videotape of the fracas was Oakland County Prosecutor David Gorcyca. The prosecutor, who is leading the investigation of the case, said he is Green's former neighbor from the time both lived in Royal Oak.

Gorcyca, who said investigators need to interview more witnesses before any charges would be filed, said most charges emanating from the fracas are likely to be misdemeanors.

The only exception, he said, might involve the unknown person who tossed a chair at the players.

Green is on probation after pleading guilty to operating a vehicle under the influence of liquor in Macomb County in May 2002, according to Gorcyca and public records.

It was his third such offense, Gorcyca said. Smith declined to say whether Green has a current driver's license. After Green was released from state prison in 1994, his supervision required that he refrain from drinking alcohol and attend substance abuse counseling.

He was originally sent to prison in 1986 for passing bad checks and carrying a concealed weapon, according to state prison records.

He was charged with escaping from prison in July 1988, the records show. He was sentenced for that, and for assault with intent to cause bodily harm, in January 1989. He was discharged from prison in February 1994.

Smith, an attorney from Birmingham, said such offenses had little to do with Friday's fracas.

"It's just a cheap shot," he said. "I don't know why the prosecutor keeps bringing it up. It's just terrible that he's being dragged through the mud as a scapegoat for what's wrong with society."

It wasn't known what beverage was in the plastic cup that hit Artest. Smith said his client no longer drinks and wasn't drinking alcohol during the game.

After he was struck, Artest jumped into the stands where he, other Pacers and several fans exchanged punches. The fans then doused the players with soda, beer and popcorn.

While Green denied that he tossed the cup, he said he leaped onto Artest's back when the player began striking another fan.

"He was just an innocent bystander," he said about the other fan. "He was just a kid enjoying the game."

Before denying that he had tossed the drink, Green earlier declined to say whether he had thrown the cup. He also wouldn't say whether he knew who had tossed it.

"It was happening so quickly," he said. "I don't remember the details."

He said he regretted that the episode had become such a national incident and was reflecting poorly on the Pistons and Metro Detroit.

As for his injuries, Green said he sustained cuts and bruises on his left shin and his left ear and temple. A mark could be seen above his left eye.

He said he felt someone pummeling him and that Artest "mule-kicked" him. He said the kick angered him, so he struck Artest.

But he said he wasn't badly injured and had no plans to file a lawsuit against the players.

"I'm a big guy," he said. "I'm all right."

Police said that nine people were injured in the fracas but that all of the injuries were minor.

Green's neighbor, Alan Marshall, said Green moved into his neighborhood about a year ago. Marshall has never seen Green cause any trouble.

"He's never shown any kind of temper around here," he said. "I'd say he's been a good neighbor."

Green, who is 6-foot-3, has a Semper Fi tattoo on his upper right arm. It wasn't known whether he was in the Marines.

He said he is a big Pistons fan who goes to nearly all of the home games. He said he isn't a season ticket holder, but a Piston official contradicted him.

As Green spoke, he was accompanied by Smith.

Several houses away, several TV news crews fiddled with the satellite feeds on their vans. Green chatted with neighbors and helped his son extricate his hand from a knot in the line of his Scooby Doo fishing pole.

"Everyone is targeting him as the villain," Smith said about his client. "He's not a villain. The Pacers are the villains."

Smith said Green was worried sick that he might be banned from future Pistons games.

That's exactly what will happen if he's charged and convicted of anything in the incident, Pistons' Chief Executive Tom Wilson said.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 04:03:50 PM »
So the guy who thru the cup is also Mr. Blue who pulls Artest away from another fan, only to start socking Artest in the head?  Shoulnd't he be punished for hitting Artest on top of throwing the cup?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 04:14:51 PM »
According to his attorney this morning he was "only trying to get a better grip on Artest to prevent him from hurting other fans".  It was funny watching the guy & his attorney squirm on Good Morning America.  In response to a question about throwing the cup his attorney replied "there are legal issues concerning intent".  As far as the incident "everyone got out of their seats and started moving forward" but the video shows otherwise.  So they (attorney & fan) fell back on a standard response "watch the tape, it doesn't lie".

So the guy threw the cup but had no intention of starting a riot.  Then when Artest charges the stands he was the first one to jump on Artest's back but was just helping a poor innocent bystander.  This guy was the biggest instigator of all....and should be put in a locked cage with Artest for a few hours.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 06:19:39 PM »
It was funny, saw the newscasters staking out his house, and he let his dogs out instructing them to ATTACK!  
Paul

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 06:53:45 PM »
According to his attorney this morning he was "only trying to get a better grip on Artest to prevent him from hurting other fans".  It was funny watching the guy & his attorney squirm on Good Morning America.  In response to a question about throwing the cup his attorney replied "there are legal issues concerning intent".  As far as the incident "everyone got out of their seats and started moving forward" but the video shows otherwise.  So they (attorney & fan) fell back on a standard response "watch the tape, it doesn't lie".

So the guy threw the cup but had no intention of starting a riot.  Then when Artest charges the stands he was the first one to jump on Artest's back but was just helping a poor innocent bystander.  This guy was the biggest instigator of all....and should be put in a locked cage with Artest for a few hours.
He was just helping out his fellow fan.........by punching Artest in the head multiple times?  The guy deserves to get assault charges placed on him since it would be silly for Artest to sue him for money.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 10:24:44 PM »
i heard snippets of this guys interview, he never admitted to throwing the cup, his words i the interview were that he was in "the general area of where the cup was thrown", he says he got hit in the shin by artest and reacted, the guy is not suppossed to be drinking whatsoever as he is an alcohic with a record....so of course it wasnt HIM that threw the cup...even the there is film now of him doing it.  this guy is hoping to get paid, and he can be charged for inciting a riot.  what a jerk, he was well coached by his attorney for the interview...