Author Topic: Polls from SportsNation about the mess . . .  (Read 1082 times)

Guest_Randy

Polls from SportsNation about the mess . . .
« on: November 22, 2004, 04:33:33 PM »
Who is most to blame for Friday night's brawl in Detroit?
46.4 %: Detroit fans
39.4 %: Ron Artest
9.3 %: Ben Wallace
4.8 %: Detroit security
0.6 %: Referees

Do you fault Ron Artest for going into the stands after being hit from close range by a full cup of beer and other items?
58.6 %: Yes, he has to have a cooler head and let security handle it.
41.4 %: No, any person has a right to defend him or herself in that situation.

Do you fault other Pacers players for going into the stands after Artest reacted?
50.5 %: No, they've got to protect a teammate
49.5 %: Yes, they weren't attacked but they escalated the situation

Just interesting how people responded.

rickortreat

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 07:57:25 PM »
Interesting that the majority recognize the fans were responsible.  Artest was wrong to go into the stands, but IMO the penalty to him and to the Pacers was excessive.

The responsibility for this goes first to the fans, and then security.  If the fan who threw the drink was apprehended and arrested, Artest would have had no reason to go into the stands.  

I blame Artest for not keeping his cool.  I'm sure being hit by a cup of beer really hurt!  It was all ego on his part, and his behavior in general is rediculous.  Even prior to this incident, some of the stories about him reveal him to be a jackass.  

Now he can rest up from all his work on his rap album.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 09:27:19 PM »
I really don't have a problem with the suspensions -- I really HATE to see Indy's season tanked but Artest and Jackson got exactly what they deserved.  I still think that JO's and Wallace's were a little severe -- if Wallace left the court, then I agree with the six game suspension and feel it could have been more, however, while JO shouldn't have punched a fan, the punch, IMO, is no more severe than the fan going onto the court (he actually will BENEFIT from this as he will sue and get money for being in a place he never should have been).  It doesn't look as if the fan will get anything, will he, for approaching a player ON the court -- which is a VERY dangerous precedence to set, IMO.

I think the reason why sports fans are reacting this way is BECAUSE of the fact they see the players being treated severely (and for the most part deservedly so) while the Detroit organization and fans can seemingly do whatever they want without ANY penalties to speak of.  THAT, IMO, is a crime!!!

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 10:25:28 AM »
Ron Artest was on the Today Show with Matt Lauer this morning, it was a riot. Matt was asking him questions, he's not the brightest bulb in the world, the questions went way over his head.   :huh:

Several times during the interview, he kept plugging his cd release, he literally would show it to the camera!  And after the interview, they interviewed the Players Association President, and he made reference to the fact that Artest wasn't the most articulate person in the world!
Paul