Author Topic: Another case of players wearing the pants  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Another case of players wearing the pants
« on: February 22, 2004, 11:17:41 AM »
Raiders most overated and biggest pouting troublemaker last year Charles Woodson was rewarded for his behavior by Al Davis.  Given the "franchise player" title Woodson now is assured to be a Rayder whereas he could have negotiated with any other team.  

I hope they get their arses run even worse then last year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1740904

New coach Turner hopes to keep cornerback
ALAMEDA, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders designated cornerback Charles Woodson their exclusive franchise player Saturday, giving the team sole negotiating rights with the four-time Pro Bowl selection.

"Placing this designation on Charles allows that he will remain with the Raiders next year," new coach Norv Turner said. "Hopefully we can enter into a long-term deal in the future which will allow Charles to be a Raider for many years to come."

By placing the franchise tag on Woodson, the Raiders will tender a minimum of the average salary for the top five cornerbacks in the NFL or 120 percent of his previous season's salary, whichever is greater.

Woodson, selected by the Raiders in the first round of the 1998 NFL draft, said after last season he would not play for former coach Bill Callahan, who was eventually fired by owner Al Davis after the team's 4-12 season. Woodson was Callahan's most outspoken critic.

If the Raiders had deemed Woodson non-exclusive franchise player, he could negotiate with other clubs.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 12:36:41 PM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 10:49:03 AM »
Wow.....that is all I can say.  The guy is good.  Probably the brightest spot on that side of the ball.  A franchise player tho?  Nah I dont think so.  
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 10:56:02 AM »
Yes if they wanted Woodson all along, meaning since last year then fine.
Instead last year during and after they let he and the other crybaby Tim Brown spout off against Callahan in the media no less.  Now they "reward" his spouting by giving him a franchise title.

Its so obvious who wears the pants.  Great move by Denny Green to say no way to Raiders coaching offer.  Norv Turner did manage to get an excellent coach away from the new England Pats, the linebackers coach.  Guess money talks.
All in all tho Al Davis is the problem with the Rayders.  KC and Denver are going to be strong.  Chargers we'll have to wait and see if they do another idiotic draft move.  But the Rayders are going to have their work cut out.  8-8 at best and I'm hoping for another 4-12.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 11:00:59 AM »
I'm not hopping for another bad season.  Of course I am a Raiders fan.  However, I do like to watch idiot owners/upper management get screwed over when they make bad moves.  So I am torn.  I want my team to do well but I also like to see Al Davis look like a moron.  Just can't stand the guy.

As for the players spouting off.  They have equal control over how things are done when game time comes.  It really irked me to see those guys try to place alot of blame on the coach when the team and the coach should shoulder the blame 50/50.  I love how team sports turn into single problems when the loss column starts to inflate.  The team sucked as a whole, take the blame as a team.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com