Author Topic: Another basketball thread  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Another basketball thread
« on: October 14, 2004, 10:51:59 AM »
NBA thinking of banning 3-Pointers until end of game

Bloomberg News
Oct. 13, 2004 12:00 AM

The National Basketball Association is considering a plan to abolish the 3-point shot until the end of games to increase shooting percentages and make the sport more aesthetically pleasing.

The NBA may ban 3-pointers until there's five minutes left in the game in its development league this season, Stu Jackson, NBA senior vice president of basketball operations, said in a telephone interview. The National Basketball Development League season is scheduled to begin Nov. 19.

"We've talked about it," Jackson said. "We're wrestling with the idea." He said it was too early to tell if the NBA would change the rule.  

"I don't want to jump that far ahead," he said. "It's a very radical change, certainly one that would take a great deal of time to get support if there were positive aspects."

Banning the 3-point shot until late in the game might lead to a more up-tempo style and higher shooting percentages because players would be encouraged to take shots closer to the basket. It also would stop players on fast breaks from pulling up for a shot from the three-point line instead of going for layups.

The NBA instituted the 3-point shot in 1979. Last season, teams shot a combined 34.7 percent from beyond the 3-point line, which ranges from 22 feet to 23-feet, 9-inches from the basket.

Rules Changes

Tinkering or even overhauling the rules isn't uncommon for the NBA, which altered its guidelines allowing teams to play zone defenses before the 2001-02 season. Previously, only man-to-man defense was permitted.

One of the reasons the NBA started the six-team development league in 2001 was to use it as a testing ground for rules changes, Jackson said.

Steve Kerr, who made a record 45 percent of the 3-pointers that he attempted in his career, said he supports the elimination of the long-range shot.

"I kind of liked the 3-pointer before every player on every team was a 3-point shooter," Kerr, who won five NBA championships, said in a telephone interview. "It's being shot way too often these days and it's hurting the game. I wouldn't mind seeing an experiment that gets rid of it."

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 02:07:07 PM »
The NBA may ban 3-pointers until there's five minutes left in the game in its development league this season, Stu Jackson, NBA senior vice president of basketball operations, said in a telephone interview. The National Basketball Development League season is scheduled to begin Nov. 19.

"We've talked about it," Jackson said. "We're wrestling with the idea." He said it was too early to tell if the NBA would change the rule.  

"I don't want to jump that far ahead," he said. "It's a very radical change, certainly one that would take a great deal of time to get support if there were positive aspects."

Oh great put Stooge Jackson on this, yeah he will put together a great plan  :crazy: .  He was teh guy that put together the great plan for our Olympic team this year, so I am sure he will pull this off without a hitch  :bs: .
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 02:09:25 PM »

Oh great put Stooge Jackson on this, yeah he will put together a great plan  :crazy: .  He was teh guy that put together the great plan for our Olympic team this year, so I am sure he will pull this off without a hitch  :bs: .
LOL ya really.  Do us basketball fans want Stuey to handle this?

Sounds like a STUPID idea to me.   You don't put in a 3 point line for decades and decades then decide to maybe take it away.  I thought all these new BS rules they are passing in the league is to boost scoring, not do the opposite.  Teams like the Sonics and Mavs score a great deal of points off three point baskets.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 02:21:59 PM »
The National Basketball Association is considering a plan to abolish the 3-point shot until the end of games to increase shooting percentages and make the sport more aesthetically pleasing.

Umm, someone explain to me how removing the 3 point shot would make the sport more "aesthetically pleasing?"  You mean MORE dunks and LESS shooting from the outside?  Do we REALLY want to take away the ONLY thing that presently encourages our youngster to actually TRY to learn to shoot from outside?  We've already losing WAY too much in the art of outside shooting (presently the reason why we have so few NBA players in the US that can shoot well from outside) -- we want to encourage kids to dunk even MORE and shoot outside even LESS?  It doesn't surprise me that someone who put together this year's dream team would come up with this idea.  IMO, we need to encourage kids to learn how to shoot outside MORE not less.

Want an idea for increasing shooting percentages?  How about paying ESPN to ONLY show shooters with pure strokes shooting from outside every night and not showing the dunks, flashy passes (ESP. when they are errant), etc.  You might be surprised how effective a little thing like that could be.  

I'm beginning to think that the NBA is wanting to bring itself to "street ball" level -- you know, where flash is more important than fundamentals.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 02:30:25 PM »
Umm, someone explain to me how removing the 3 point shot would make the sport more "aesthetically pleasing?" You mean MORE dunks and LESS shooting from the outside?

By removing the 3 pt line you actually limit drives.  Defenders now play farther off their man, because they're not rewarded with the extra point, and close off lanes.

Theoretically it would increase ball movement and encourage the mid range game, not drives and dunks.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 02:54:35 PM »
Umm, someone explain to me how removing the 3 point shot would make the sport more "aesthetically pleasing?" You mean MORE dunks and LESS shooting from the outside?

By removing the 3 pt line you actually limit drives.  Defenders now play farther off their man, because they're not rewarded with the extra point, and close off lanes.

Theoretically it would increase ball movement and encourage the mid range game, not drives and dunks.
And theoretically, don't we already have that option in the NBA?  I don't see this helping anything.  I just don't see the lack of a 3 point line accomplishing your theory.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 03:00:15 PM »
You don't think players (and coaches) get infatuated with the extra point, 3 pt line, and sportscenter highlights?  Antoine Walker literally answered once, on why he shot so many 3 pt'ers, "because they don't have a 4 pt shot).

I absolutely think it would help.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 03:02:41 PM »
If it weren't for the Steve Kerr draining all of those 3 pointers during the Spurs championship run, the Spurs wouldn't have had a chance. I'm against tinkering with it.
Paul

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 03:07:36 PM »

And theoretically, don't we already have that option in the NBA?  I don't see this helping anything.  I just don't see the lack of a 3 point line accomplishing your theory.
To put it in simple terms for Randy:

The difference is whether you close out on Bruce Bowen in the corner to stop the 3 or play off of him and let him shoot.  Heck even give him two dribbles to the basket and shoot.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 03:42:54 PM »
why he shot so many 3 pt'ers, "because they don't have a 4 pt shot).

:rofl:  :D  :rofl:  
Paul

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 05:37:12 PM »
You don't think players (and coaches) get infatuated with the extra point, 3 pt line, and sportscenter highlights?  Antoine Walker literally answered once, on why he shot so many 3 pt'ers, "because they don't have a 4 pt shot).

I absolutely think it would help.
They do but its not all negative.  What about the spacing for the offensive team?  That kind of spacing gives the big men some room to operate.   I believe if there was no three point line that it would effect spacing for players like Tim Duncan, Shaq, Webber, KG, and others.   It also helps the slasher and cutters to get into the middle.  I don't think it disrupts the game enough to wear the league needs to step in.   If a team chooses to fall in love with the 3 that is their problem and something THE COACH needs to handle.  Not Stu.  The league wants higher scoring, the 3 promotes that.  What about the energy a big three point shot gives a team?  How many times in the playoffs have we seen a series change because of a huge 3 point shot being made?

Threes that are inside the offense are not the problem.  Its the transition 3 point shots that are the problem, but even then those promote fast breaking for the other squad.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 05:45:49 PM by westkoast »

Guest_Randy

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 08:57:26 AM »
What about what else the 3 brings?  Long rebounds which can lead to fast breaks at the other end of the court -- it's one of the reasons they instituted the 3 point line -- to help increase spacing to see more in the middle.  They were tired of the collapsed defenses in the middle because of the lack of spacing.  Of course, there are a ton of other rules they have enacted to try and make the game "more appealing" -- how about if they actually start emphasizing fundamentals and shooting -- does the general public REALLY want to see nothing but a slam dunk contest?  If that's true, why don't we just quit playing games and just have slam dunk contests every night?  Or just do it at halftime or before/after the game?  I, personally, would rather watch pure shooters stroke the ball from outside than watch a slam dunk contest.  I remember when Petrovic first came into the league -- used to tape games just to watch the guy shoot the ball -- what a stroke.  Same is true for Peja -- just love to watch the guy shoot the ball -- Bird, same thing.  We need to emphasize fundamentals -- that would do a WHOLE lot for the game.

This is SOO obvious in the Olympic selection team -- they went for what was popular rather than what would win.  Umm, you DO have the opportunity to change what is popular -- but you aren't going to do it by losing in the Olympics and just trying to react to whatever the latest poll says.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 09:09:15 AM »
Why do you need a 3 pt line to space the floor?  The 82-83 Sixers championship team had a total of 25 3pt'er made.  For the season.

Doc and Toney certainly had enough room in the lane to drive.  Moses had enough room in the paint to win an MVP award.  

You can still have solid shooters to space the floor without having a 3 pt line.  Teams can still pay for doubling down on a big man in the post.  I don't see how that changes.  Except now instead of kicking it out to a 23 ft jumpshooter, guys may actually take two steps in and hit the 18 footer.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 09:25:26 AM »
Why do you need a 3 pt line to space the floor?  The 82-83 Sixers championship team had a total of 25 3pt'er made.  For the season.

Doc and Toney certainly had enough room in the lane to drive.  Moses had enough room in the paint to win an MVP award. 

You can still have solid shooters to space the floor without having a 3 pt line.  Teams can still pay for doubling down on a big man in the post.  I don't see how that changes.  Except now instead of kicking it out to a 23 ft jumpshooter, guys may actually take two steps in and hit the 18 footer.
Were they allowed to play this kind of zone defense that is in the league right now (Im not up on the rules from back then)?  You also have to take into mind that Sixers team was pretty good from the 1 to the 5.  That is not the case these days with all the teams in the league.  Shaq doesn't have the caliber of player in Miami Moses had in Doc.  On top of that Moses Malone is a high caliber post player.  What about guys like Ben Wallace or Ilgauskus (sp) who are not as talented as other players with post moves or creating space? What about the positive effect the 3 has had on specific team's games in the last 10 years? Shawn Elliot's three point shooting gave space to D-rob and Duncan.  Kerr, Paxton, and Bj Armstrong's three point shooting gave extra space inside the triangle for the Bulls.

Yes you can still have spacing witout the three but having to close out on someone who will get that extra point and that momentum gives a few more feet of space.  The momentum to me is the deal breaker.   A big 3 with under 2 minutes to go swings momentum.  A big 3 with a tie score swings momentum.  Seeing a guy like Ray Allen  make 4 three point shots in a row energizes a team.  It happend in the Lakers/Sonics pre-season game.  What about teams down by 18 who come down and get 3 three point baskets in a row without the other team scoring?    Defenders are more worried about a 3 because its an extra point, much like the shooters are worried about the line because its an extra point.  Goes both ways.

I think that its the coaching staff's responsibility to limit the team from getting 3 crazy.  Not the league.  The fault falls into the players lap if he wants to take a lower % shot.  Its the coaching staff's job to correct that.  A rule limiting the 3 point line till the last 5 minutes of every quarter is silly to say the least.  Eliminating it all together would be a mistake.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 09:57:19 AM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 09:29:47 PM »
OMFG, how stupid.  How can you defend the removal of the 3 pt shot.

I thought this was an article from the Onion.com
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"