Author Topic: Geez Louise, another managerial blunder  (Read 1083 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Geez Louise, another managerial blunder
« on: October 10, 2004, 03:58:56 PM »
I am sorry but Phil Garner totally blew that game.  The double switch with Biggio to gain one spot in the order, in the 7th was STUPID.   :crazy:   A double switch is a great strategy, but in this case you took away one of your best offensive players, and gained one spot in the order  :crazy: .  The fact that he didn't do another double switch when he brought Lidge into the game was an even bigger bonehead  :crazy: .  He gets 7 pitches out of Lidge, his best pitcher out of the bullpen  :angry: .

I know you want to get ahead of Drew, but if there was ever a time to pitch out, the first pitch was the time to do it.  Everybody knew Furcal was running, that is his role.  He is the best basestealer on the team, the last thing Atlanta wants to have the double play in order, and Drew is your best hitter.  I was yelling PITCH OUT.  I also agree with Joe Morgan.  Once the count on Drew gets to 3-1, and firstbase is empty, WALK HIM   :crazy: .  Furcal is the only run that matters, so putting Drew on is irrelevant.  You set up the DP again.  BUT NOOOOO they pitch to Drew and he singles in Furcal.

Have to admit Berkman did a great job of hitting against Smoltz, but I knew without any doubt that Kent was going to hit into a game ending DP.  He had already hit into one, and I figured Smoltz would throw him nothing but splitters.  Threw him a fastball first pitch, but Kent doesn't take advantage, and then he gets a pitch belt high and he grounds into a DP.  Personally I would have gone with a suicide squeeze.  Scoring runs off Smoltz is hard, and with his splitter, the chance of popping up the bunt is greatly reduced, and you tie the score to play some more.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 05:11:26 PM by ziggy »
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 04:17:52 PM »
Glad i missed it.  Besides the playoff game being the most important, lets also give away an 18 game home streak.

:angry:  :angry:

Why did he pull Clemons after 5?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 04:21:20 PM by Reality »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 10:56:35 PM »
Beltran and Co bailed Garner out.
But his blunders effects remain as he used up Clemons and Oswalt.
Sure they will be good to go for the middle games but not twice nor the opening two as they would have been.  With them I think Hou gets at minimal a split in St Louis.  Now, well who knows.

I'm stoked for Hou.  A loss would have Gradyfied Garner forever.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 01:36:29 AM »
Sure they will be good to go for the middle games but not twice nor the opening two as they would have been.  With them I think Hou gets at minimal a split in St Louis.  Now, well who knows.

I'm stoked for Hou.  A loss would have Gradyfied Garner forever.
IS there any doubt that Beltran is a STUD.
38 dingers
121 runs
36 doubles
9 triples
104 RBI
42 SB with only 3 caught stealing and he was 28 without a CS with Houston.  For the last 4 years he has stolen 162 bases and been caught only 15 times, the best % in history.

4 HR and 2 SB, .455 BA, and 9 rbi's in the playoffs so far
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 02:09:44 PM »
Sure they will be good to go for the middle games but not twice nor the opening two as they would have been.  With them I think Hou gets at minimal a split in St Louis.  Now, well who knows.

I'm stoked for Hou.  A loss would have Gradyfied Garner forever.
IS there any doubt that Beltran is a STUD.
38 dingers
121 runs
36 doubles
9 triples
104 RBI
42 SB with only 3 caught stealing and he was 28 without a CS with Houston.  For the last 4 years he has stolen 162 bases and been caught only 15 times, the best % in history.

4 HR and 2 SB, .455 BA, and 9 rbi's in the playoffs so far
No doubt.  The Angel follower who argued with me that they should stand pat was balking at even a Beltran for Eckstein trade.  Ditto Beltran for Washburn (I will say it appears Washburn goes as his health allows.  Superb when healthy.)

He was insulting so as to suggest Ortiz for Beltran.  Ortiz is the only pitcher on the Angels he can't stand.  When i suggested Guillen for Beltran he balked.
When i suggested Garret Anderson for Beltran he balked.  I tried reasoning with him that to get Beltrans #s a team would have to give up Beltran-like #s.   Did not compute.

zig is G Anderson hurt or something?  Because his defense and non hustle is pathetic.  Add his throwing arm, or lack thereof.  He has to be playing injured, right?  LA times antogonist but once in a while accurate write TJ Simers wrote about Andersons not being willing to break a sweat and Simers says GA took umbrage to it.  However still no mention of injury.