Author Topic: Hey Ted  (Read 19622 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hey Ted
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2004, 12:18:19 AM »
LOL at myself!

I just read the last paragraph of my indignant reply to WoW:

"I'm not some mindless drone who doesn't wipe my ass unless my church leader tells me to. I came to this belief on my own. It's my choice, and I've made it."

Just add the following line on the end: "I'm going to wipe my ass because I choose to!"  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :unsure:

101, nice post on tolerance. I know that too many in my church think they're the only ones going to heaven. I don't believe God, whatever his name is, works that way.

JN, thank you for finally bringing basketball back to the board!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 12:19:35 AM by Ted »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

jn

Hey Ted
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2004, 12:49:08 AM »
Yeah and now that I've done that let me veer off again and follow up on Baudolino. I don't know if you're familiar with Eco but I've read Focault's Pendulum and Baudoliono is superior.  I haven't read Name of the Rose but I've seen.  Don't know if follows the book at all but I'd like to find out.

As I'm sure you've gathered I'm not a religious person.  I do love history though and in the past couple years I've read more on the Crusades and Jerusalem.  What's great about Baudolino is the great mixing of historical events and what people believed at the time mixed with a personal perspective.   I won't give away to much but the event's surrounding Frederick Barbarossa and the Lombard League are true and at one time people really did believe in the Kingdom of Prestor John and the map of Cosmas and his Christian Topography.  That and they believed in people with one leg, people with genitals on their chest and half human, half dogs.  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Hey Ted
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2004, 01:29:44 AM »
I respect your right to have that opinion in peace. Can you do that for me?

HUH?

Anyway, like I said, religion is just like a parking ticket, you don't really think about it till one is on your windshield then you pretty much get pissed.

That site was at the top of the list on msn or lycos search.  I think I was actually looking for the salamander reference.  The first portion came from that same website that the second portion had their slant and I'm sure there is a "lovey" mormon site that I could read as well.  Figured you'd be a good place to start with a counter to those points mentioned in the slanted post.

If you don't want to, no problem.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Hey Ted
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2004, 01:32:00 AM »
Yeah and now that I've done that let me veer off again and follow up on Baudolino. I don't know if you're familiar with Eco but I've read Focault's Pendulum and Baudoliono is superior.  I haven't read Name of the Rose but I've seen.  Don't know if follows the book at all but I'd like to find out.

As I'm sure you've gathered I'm not a religious person.  I do love history though and in the past couple years I've read more on the Crusades and Jerusalem.  What's great about Baudolino is the great mixing of historical events and what people believed at the time mixed with a personal perspective.   I won't give away to much but the event's surrounding Frederick Barbarossa and the Lombard League are true and at one time people really did believe in the Kingdom of Prestor John and the map of Cosmas and his Christian Topography.  That and they believed in people with one leg, people with genitals on their chest and half human, half dogs.
When I asked about the Masons one of them gave me a book called "Born in Blood".  Only read a little and never gave it back, I wonder if I'm on their "list".

YIKES!  :unsure:  
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Ted
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2004, 04:18:24 AM »
It's all good WoW. Sorry I jumped you. I'll take your word for it, because no matter how cantankerous a bastage you are, I think you're pretty much an honest bastage. I guess it's my fault for "posting away" and "giving you plenty of ammo."  :huh:  Now that I look back, it's clear to me you weren't "attacking" my faith.  :ph34r:  Please forgive my odd, yet not surprising, knee-jerk response.

I like 101's philosophy on religion. Live and let live. I like my faith. It may not be for everybody, but it works for me. Anyway, I'll try to stay away from your windshield from now on.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 04:47:17 AM by Ted »

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Ted
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2004, 04:20:04 AM »
When I asked about the Masons one of them gave me a book called "Born in Blood".  Only read a little and never gave it back, I wonder if I'm on their "list".

YIKES!  :unsure:
I doubt it. Although the Masons are quite powerful.

You are, however, now on my list. :ph34r:  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Hey Ted
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2004, 09:58:48 AM »
Dude...G0 TO BED!! :blink:  
Paul

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Ted
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2004, 12:19:54 PM »
Two words: research paper from hell . . .  :blink:  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Ted
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2004, 01:31:13 PM »
See...that's why I dropped out of HIGH SCHOOL!  They were giving me all this shyte about turning in homework, going to class, screw that! :angry:   :lol:  
Paul

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Ted
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2004, 02:46:21 PM »
Ah, yes, the Masons -

My grandfather was a mason, back in their hayday - the twenties and thirties. He had a Mason ring, which he wore all the time. My dad got the ring when he died, and I got the ring from my father just before he died.

I wore the ring in honor of them. Someone told me that unless I was a Mason myself, I could not and SHOULD not wear that ring. So now it sits in a safety deposit box.

Granddad was a grand poomba with the Masons, or whatever they call the big cheese. Back in his home territory (the Pennsylvania coal mine region), granddad's name carried some weight, though he was just a linemen for the local power company and a volunteer fireman.

All of that was before my time, but when we visited granddad, strangers often would come up to my brother and me and introduce themselves. We were seven and four years old at the time.

My mom's family was a bit different. In the 1870's, the group that was a truly secret society back in that region were the Molly Maguires. If you have never heard of them, you might want to look them up. Several of mom's uncles by marriage and other relatives were members of the Maguires in their hayday.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Hey Ted
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2004, 04:04:41 PM »
It's all good WoW. Sorry I jumped you. I'll take your word for it, because no matter how cantankerous a bastage you are, I think you're pretty much an honest bastage. I guess it's my fault for "posting away" and "giving you plenty of ammo."  :huh:  Now that I look back, it's clear to me you weren't "attacking" my faith.  :ph34r:  Please forgive my odd, yet not surprising, knee-jerk response.

I like 101's philosophy on religion. Live and let live. I like my faith. It may not be for everybody, but it works for me. Anyway, I'll try to stay away from your windshield from now on.
If that's the case could you talk to my 4 kids and my wife about staying out of my windshield.  At least tell them that it's ok if only ONE of them prays before we eat.  The two oldest are pretty easy, they just give thanks for the food and family but the two little one's go on and on and on.  They thank god for everyone and for every little thing they've done in recent memory.  They give thanks for playing in the yard, mommy cleaning them up, X-Box, their bikes, the two dogs, Coke, milk, Strawberry Shortcake cartoon, TV.....you get the idea.  Both of do it and I like my steak hot and my Coke cold.

Could you speak with them?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Hey Ted
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2004, 04:11:11 PM »
Ah, yes, the Masons -

My grandfather was a mason, back in their hayday - the twenties and thirties. He had a Mason ring, which he wore all the time. My dad got the ring when he died, and I got the ring from my father just before he died.

I wore the ring in honor of them. Someone told me that unless I was a Mason myself, I could not and SHOULD not wear that ring. So now it sits in a safety deposit box.

Granddad was a grand poomba with the Masons, or whatever they call the big cheese. Back in his home territory (the Pennsylvania coal mine region), granddad's name carried some weight, though he was just a linemen for the local power company and a volunteer fireman.

All of that was before my time, but when we visited granddad, strangers often would come up to my brother and me and introduce themselves. We were seven and four years old at the time.

My mom's family was a bit different. In the 1870's, the group that was a truly secret society back in that region were the Molly Maguires. If you have never heard of them, you might want to look them up. Several of mom's uncles by marriage and other relatives were members of the Maguires in their hayday.
Did your grandpa make it up to Shriner? (sic?)
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Ted
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2004, 04:20:33 PM »

He did.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Hey Ted
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2004, 04:21:15 PM »

He did.
Scottish Rite or Yorkish Rite (sic?)

EDIT: you need to put [/SIZE] after Jomal TM
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 04:21:59 PM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Ted
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2004, 04:34:41 PM »
If that's the case could you talk to my 4 kids and my wife about staying out of my windshield.  At least tell them that it's ok if only ONE of them prays before we eat.  The two oldest are pretty easy, they just give thanks for the food and family but the two little one's go on and on and on.  They thank god for everyone and for every little thing they've done in recent memory.  They give thanks for playing in the yard, mommy cleaning them up, X-Box, their bikes, the two dogs, Coke, milk, Strawberry Shortcake cartoon, TV.....you get the idea.  Both of do it and I like my steak hot and my Coke cold.

Could you speak with them?
I'll see what I can do.

Strawberry shortcake. LOL! It is kind of funny to listen to little kids pray. How old are the two little ones?

I don't know man--If your wife's into it, I think you're screwed. If I were you, I would get to the table early so you can start cutting your steak before saying grace. It'll take some practice, but if you learn to use a fork and to chew with your mouth closed, you could probably get away with eating during prayer.