Author Topic: Hey Ted  (Read 19620 times)

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Hey Ted
« on: February 20, 2004, 02:50:42 PM »
And I'm assuming your a mormon based on your place of residence.  Is it true that Mormons can't drink caffeine?
Paul

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hey Ted
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 04:53:33 PM »
Yeah, if we do, it eats our insides out and leaves us a quivering shell of a body.

Seriously, it's not true. In fact, right now I'm drinking a wonderfully cold Coke!

Basically we believe in a code of health that encourages us to avoid certain things and to eat more of certain things.

Things to avoid include eating too much meat (I think the words we use are to "eat meat sparingly"), drugs (the illegal kind), acohol, coffee/black tea (basically things that can lead to addiction).

Things to eat more of include grains, fruits and vegetables and healthy young male children (I'm not completely sure on the last part).

You aren't kicked out of the church if you don't follow the code. But we believe basically that keeping the health code gives us access to blessings, such as long life and good health. That's about it. Sorry if I over-answered the question.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 04:54:48 PM by Ted »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Hey Ted
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 05:04:45 PM »
Can you eat pork?

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Ted
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 05:08:27 PM »
Dammit WoW! For the last time! I am not going to kill you and eat your flesh!

There are no prohibitions on which animals we can use for food.

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Ted
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 05:20:00 PM »
Dammit WoW! For the last time! I am not going to kill you and eat your flesh!

There are no prohibitions on which animals we can use for food.
man ted i dont know ho wyou have time for the internet and service all 12 of your wives..... :ph34r:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Ted
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 05:23:23 PM »
All I need is one free hand and a palm pilot baby!

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Ted
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 08:44:57 PM »
Is it true you need a membership card to get into the synagogue? :blink:  
Paul

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Ted
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 12:44:36 AM »
Depends on what you're talking about. Anyone can come to any meeting house (or chapel) on Sunday or anytime they want, even WoW could come! :o

Temples are different. They basically are patterned in purpose after the Temple in Jerusalem. So there are different criteria for entry, and yes, there is a card of sorts, but it's more of a certificate saying you and your ecclesiastical leader say you're worthy of entry.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Ted
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2004, 10:54:52 PM »
I have a few mormon friends, and they cuss every now and then. (Pretty rare though, I must admit.)  Noticed one word they use all the time, and this cracks me up, and I wonder if you use it too....

BUGGER!  No, not as in something that comes out of your nose!  More like the insect variety.  "OH BUGGER!"  Cracks me up!   :lol:  
Paul

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Hey Ted
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2004, 04:16:42 PM »
I have a few mormon friends, and they cuss every now and then. (Pretty rare though, I must admit.)  Noticed one word they use all the time, and this cracks me up, and I wonder if you use it too....

BUGGER!  No, not as in something that comes out of your nose!  More like the insect variety.  "OH BUGGER!"  Cracks me up!   :lol:
Bugger is a UK term.  Means the same as  the f word.  It does carry more of a homo-f more than anything, meaning it's kinda like saying f*ck me/you in the arse.  It's just as versitle as the f word.  It's used so much in the UK that it's become as acceptable as sayin something like shot/darn/shucks here in the US but it's origin is no in question.

My favorite UK term in "tosser(s)", means the same as "jerk off(s)" here in the US.  
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Ted
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 11:41:16 AM »
That must be a regional thing. The big thing Mormons do with swear words is to "church them up" a bit. Words like shiz, shite, crap, heck, fetch, fetchin', flip, flippin', freak, freakin', frick, frickin', friggin', gosh dang, etc. The funniest is probably "cheese 'n rice!" It's really quite ludicrous. The purpose and emotion behind the words is the same, so I usually just use the real thing, although not around my wife or kid.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Ted
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 11:56:01 AM »
I want to convert, but I want to avoid the usual hazing rituals that go along with membership.  HAD ENOUGH OF THOSE IN COLLEGE! :unsure:  :unsure: Damn..I mean DARN fraternities!   :lol:  
Paul

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Ted
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2004, 12:35:56 PM »
My favorite UK term in "tosser(s)", means the same as "jerk off(s)" here in the US.

I thought the English version was "Wankers"?

As for Mormons, they are a bit different. In my young, formative years, (just out of high school), my best friend was a staunch Mormon. His family, especially his mom, kept the family to the whole Mormon crede. Derek did not drink any stimulant or alcohol, never cursed, and attended Temple regularly with his family. He made up for it by f***ing like a Banshee. The guy went through girls like water, using them and disgarding them regularly and with no conscience.

Then he got the 'so-called' calling, and went on a Mission to England. Everything was fine, as Derek went out and converted the natives, looking so presentable and nice. He always had a great sense of humor and was outgoing and charming. Part of his recruitment method, it turned out, was to seduce divorcee's. This actually worked out, in that he met his future wife in this way. It did NOT work out, however, when he seduced a still-married women.

Driven by guilt, they both confessed their sin to higher-ups.

Derek was immediately excommunicated for a full year and sent back home in disgrace. This is where I come into the picture. In order to be reaccepted back into the Church, Derek and his family had to repent and accept their shame in Temple once Derek's year of shame was completed. I was invited to this inner sanctorum of the Mormon Church as Derek's closest friend. I sat amongst the congregation, the only non-Mormon present, as each family member (mom, dad, two brothers and one sister) stood before the large congregation and explained how Derek's actions had personally affected their lives. Then Derek got up and accepted full responsibility for his actions and begged forgiveness of everyone, including me, who he mentioned by name. It was intense, to say the least.

Later, after Derek was reaccepted back into the church, he brought his fiance over from England and I stood as his best man at his wedding. Again, the only non-Mormon present. It was like being inside a cult. The intense bindings of the Mormon church amongst its members is incredible. You do not deal with individuals, but the hive. The 'oneness' of its members is where the Mormon church gets its strength. Derek never quite belonged to this mentality and as a result was never a true member of the church as the rest of his family were, to his detriment later. He did his 'duty' by them, but he would tell me in so many words later how much he really hated the controlling aspects of the church.

Derek was forever after an outsider to the Church he grew up in and his family, for that matter. He eventually moved his family away.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 12:38:48 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Ted
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2004, 12:40:09 PM »
Hazing rituals? What hazing rituals?  :ph34r:

You sure about converting? The majority of Mormon's are ignorant, died-in-the-wool conservatives. Sure you could handle that?  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Hey Ted
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2004, 12:45:02 PM »
That reminds me...any of you guys Masons?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"