Author Topic: Ray Allen said to want $100 mill for 5 years . . .  (Read 1451 times)

Guest_Randy

Ray Allen said to want $100 mill for 5 years . . .
« on: September 30, 2004, 10:37:19 AM »
What do you think?  Is he worth that much money?  One of the best shooters in the league, a better than average passer, and an underrated defender (at least with the Sonics) and a class citizen to boot -- but is he worth $100 for 5 years?  What kind of player should you be to deserve $20 mill a year in today's lottery tax NBA (not to mention our present economy).  

I love Ray Allen as a player as well as a citizen but he isn't worth $100 mill, IMO.  There are only a handful of players worth that kind of money in the NBA:  Shaq (and he is in the last year or two of that kind of money), TD, KG, Kobe -- a VERY short list, if you ask me.  I think Allen is in tier number 2 -- the $15 mill a year category.  Allen is a great player but I don't believe he can strap the team on his back and will them to a win -- that's what it takes to be a $20 mill a year player.

jn

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 10:39:42 AM »
I agree completely Randy.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 10:56:13 AM »
Just yet another case where you and I agree Randy.

Guest-koast

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 11:04:18 AM »
Wow...Sounds to me like he just wants to be traded.  He's not worth 20 million a year.  Shaq, KG, Duncan....big men are worth that much.  A mainly jumper shooter DOES NOT deserve that kinda money.  I love Ray Allen but common now....is this a joke?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 11:29:58 AM »
He's just asking for Allan Houston type of money   :eek2: ....and if the market will pay it then more power to him.

However I agree with the rest of you....only a handful are worth that type of money.  I might add a few others...Ming (although the next couple years may prove otherwise), Iverson, LeBron (ability to put fans in the stands).  But still a very short list.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 01:33:38 PM »
The Iverson of  prior years was worth it.  The  Iverson of  last year wasn't.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 03:05:40 PM »
Nobody is worth that type of money.  Except Vinnie Del Negro.
Paul

Guest_Randy

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2004, 07:38:54 PM »
Nobody is worth that type of money.  Except Vinnie Del Negro.
See, 101, that's where other Spurs fans disagree with you -- there is a fan here who thinks that Avery Johnson was worth that kind of money.  Keep telling him that he's wrong -- after all, Avery was SOOOO happy to not be playing in the CBA that he would have paid for anything!