Author Topic: NBA players doing some good in the community  (Read 1284 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
NBA players doing some good in the community
« on: September 25, 2004, 03:02:31 PM »
An assist on the court leads to two points, maybe three, but an assist off the court means so much more. Here are some of the notable community efforts made by NBA teams and players from the Western Conference.

• The Dallas Mavericks’ Jason Terry holds Hoops Showdown, a game whose proceeds support the United Negro College Fund. He also sponsors basketball camps and built a computer lab for at-risk youth.

• The Lakers’ Brian Grant is one of the NBA’s most active philanthropists, and his foundation offers profound support to underprivileged children and the elderly.

• The Tracy McGrady Foundation donated more than $350,000 dollars last year to various children’s programs and he has hosted children from Make-A-Wish and more.

• Houston Rockets forward Juwan Howard and his foundation have been involved in collecting and distributing over 21,000 winter clothing items, refurbishing basketball courts and supporting tutoring in the projects where he grew up in Chicago. He hs also adopted a school where he has given students incentives to read more books.

• Mavericks guard Jerry Stackhouse lost two sisters to diabetes and both of his parents have the disease, so he has become very involved in supporting and promoting diabetes prevention programs.

• Dallas’ Michael Finley inspired fans to give to a hunger program—and along with some teammates he matched their donations. The result: more than $100,000, which is good for 20 truckloads of food for the hungry. He gives away a block of tickets to youth programs for every game, holds an annual golf tournament to raise money for the Make-A-Wish foundation, runs a free week-long basketball clinic and is involved in Read to Achieve, a Black History Month art contest and a number of events involving disadvantaged children both in Dallas and in his hometown of Chicago.

• Mavericks big man Dirk Nowitzki has spent time with children from the Make-A-Wish Foundation, promotes a recycling program, regularly visits hospitals and has committed to answering every piece of fan mail he receives.

• The Denver Nuggets’ Marcus Camby’s Cambyland Youth Foundation partners with schools and organizations to improve education in underserved communities. At Thanksgiving he personally delivered dinners to 50 families. At Christmas, he picked up 15 disadvantaged children in an SUV limo, gave each a signed jersey and $100 to buy presents for their families.

• Blazers guard Nick Van Exel took it upon himself to provide a Christmas experience for 35 underprivileged children and four large families. Through a church he got wish lists from the children, bought the things they wanted and personally delivered the items before Christmas. He then hosted them all at a surprise Christmas party. At Thanksgiving, he and his Warriors teammates each bought 150 turkeys and Van Exel personally delivered them to 10 area shelters. He also gives away a block of tickets to every home game.

• Warriors guard Jason Richardson gives away a block of tickets for every home game. J-Rich also donated over 200 Thanksgiving turkeys, co-hosted a reading camp at a local school, and is a spokesperson for an educational program that stresses attendance, academics and attitude.

• Rockets center Yao Ming heard about a boy whose dying wish was to meet him, so he immediately rushed to the hospital for a special visit. In China last summer he raised over $300,000 for SARS research with a telethon. He arranged for teammates and friends to appear by tape. Teammate Steve Francis and Reebok each gave $10,000.

• L.A. Clippers forward Elton Brand hosts the free, fun Elton Brand Day for his hometown fans in New York and supports afterschool education, youth sports and programs for single parents.

• Karl Malone surprised a group of children from a local youth program with a trip to see his racing team, followed by a party he personally hosted. He also arranged for 25 children to tour a trendy clothing supplier—then surprised them with a party and $1,000 each to shop. He and the Sparks’ Lisa Leslie helped to paint a Boys and Girls Club, he donated 1,000 pairs of shoes to victims of wildfires, he frequently visits schools and he and his agent paid tens of thousands of dollars for first aid equipment to be put into police cars.
• Lakers forward Lamar Odom buys tickets, a bus ride, T-shirts, hot dogs and sodas for 40 children at every Heat home game. He’s also involved in hospital visits, turkey giveaways, the team’s Family Festival and the Read to Achieve program.

• A member of the board at the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and the Memphis Zoo, Memphis’ Shane Battier is active in Read to Achieve and the Grizzlies tickets for kids program.

• Grizzlies guard Jason Williams provides tickets to Special Olympics athletes for every home game, and was honorary chairman of West Tennessee’s biggest fundraiser for the Special Olympics.

• Minnesota forward Kevin Garnett has launched an ambitious program called 4XL to encourage minority students to attend business school.

• T-Wolves forward Mark Madsen visited Iraq to meet with and entertain U.S. troops.

• Phoenix’s Amaré Stoudemire won more than $35,000 on Wheel of Fortune for the Boys & Girls Club. He also hosted 200 children for Thanksgiving.

• When he signed his contract, the Suns’ Shawn Marion donated a million dollars to various charities through the local United Way. He also funded a reading room at a local Boys and Girls Club.

• The Portland Trail Blazers' Shareef Abdur-Rahim runs a foundation whose staff, friends and families spent this past Thanksgiving delivering meals to more than 2,000 people in need. He hosts a rally each August donating backpacks and other supplies to school kids, a toy drive in December, and a scholarship program at his old high school. He is also working on building Reef House, where elementary school children can learn about computers, life and more.

• Blazers center Theo Ratliff recently gave $200,000 to his hometown of Demopolis, AL to build an activity center targeted to serve at risk children. He also promotes literacy through Read to Achieve, a special basketball camp, and an essay contest.

• Lakers center Vlade Divac’s charity has delivered clothing, toys, and healthcare to children displaced by the breakup of the former Yugoslavia. He has worked to place children in permanent homes—even adopting one such girl to be his own daughter.

• Breast cancer took the life of Kings guard Bobby Jackson’s mother, and he has been involved in several events for the cause—even getting the Kings and Timberwolves to wear pink t-shirts during their warm-ups before a game in April to raise awareness.

• Sacramento’s Brad Miller took children from the Big Brothers Big Sisters program on a $200 shopping spree. He also donated his $35,000 in Wheel of Fortune winnings to the program.

• Kings forward Peja Stojakovic hosted a clothing drive that collected more than 8,000 items for children in his native Serbia-Montenegro.

• San Antonio’s Tim Duncan has rewarded over 3,000 students who demonstrate integrity, respect, dependability, fairness, caring and civic responsibility with Spurs tickets or other prizes, and he has raised close to a million dollars for cancer charities.

• The Seattle SuperSonics’ Ray Allen’s foundation has donated more than $400,000 to sports and community programs, and he volunteers with numerous charities.

• Sonics forward Rashard Lewis donated $125,000 to build a movie theater at the new Ronald McDonald House in Seattle, and bought 75 season tickets for children.

• In kicking off his Kirilenko’s Kids charity for neglected children in Russia, Utah Jazz forward Andrei Kirilenko organized a clothing drive that generated 45 large boxes of goods.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 03:02:52 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 10:45:52 PM »
Westkoast, thanks for posting that. It's a good read. It's nice to know there is another side to the anti-player bias we see so much of lately. And it's nice to see them get some recognition.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 06:39:57 AM »
I really liked reading some of this -- thanks for posting.  It is GREAT to see how some of the players really give of themselves as well as their resources:

What I LOVE to see:
  -  Players who give of THEMSELVES!  Let's face it, it's easier to give money than give your time.  I like the players who make gifts personal -- who don't just provide something for kids but make an impact by giving it to them personally.  I hope that players like NVE realize that when he does something like this, it makes him a role model in those kids eyes.  I have ALWAYS respected the incredible work done by Brian Grant and Shaq off the court -- I would love to see a report on how much PERSONAL TIME players in the NBA give to charities.  These two players really challenge me personally in the amount of time they give to making a difference.
  -  Players who give a larger percentage of their income.  I realize that some players give a bunch of money but some of these players who give $100,000 a year aren't really sacrificing much -- becomes more of a tax write-off than a personal gift, IMO.  It IS good to read much of what is done here -- mainly because it is either MORE than a paltry gift and because most of these players are adding a personal touch in addition.  I TOTALLY respect that!

Thanks for posting, it is VERY good reading!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 11:41:23 AM »
I really liked reading some of this -- thanks for posting.  It is GREAT to see how some of the players really give of themselves as well as their resources:

What I LOVE to see:
  -  Players who give of THEMSELVES!  Let's face it, it's easier to give money than give your time.  I like the players who make gifts personal -- who don't just provide something for kids but make an impact by giving it to them personally.  I hope that players like NVE realize that when he does something like this, it makes him a role model in those kids eyes.  I have ALWAYS respected the incredible work done by Brian Grant and Shaq off the court -- I would love to see a report on how much PERSONAL TIME players in the NBA give to charities.  These two players really challenge me personally in the amount of time they give to making a difference.
  -  Players who give a larger percentage of their income.  I realize that some players give a bunch of money but some of these players who give $100,000 a year aren't really sacrificing much -- becomes more of a tax write-off than a personal gift, IMO.  It IS good to read much of what is done here -- mainly because it is either MORE than a paltry gift and because most of these players are adding a personal touch in addition.  I TOTALLY respect that!

Thanks for posting, it is VERY good reading!
I agree about the time versus money.  I am more impressed with Karl Malone and Lisa Leslie painting a whole boys and girls club with a bunch of volunteers than I am with T-Mac giving up 350k.  Or seeing someone like Juwuan Howard (who often gets a bad rap) going back to Chi-town and giving up things that are extremly usefull like winter clothes and basketball hoops to get the kids playing ball instead of doing bad things with buddies.  The one that did stand out to me that was giving money was Shawn Marion though.  Right when he signed his contract he shaved a cool million off that and it went straight to charity.  Although I rather see a player donate his personal time than money, its nice to see this guy thinking about others (who arent related) when a contract is involved.  Mainly we only hear about how 70 million for X amount of seasons isnt enough or how management is being tight.   Marion was like 'ok im going to be making this much...a million of that is going to charity right off the bat.'  

Shaq was kept off the list because hes in the east now but I have to say hes quite a giver even tho he gets a bad rap himself.  This year when hes in town to play the Lakers on X-mas he is going to fill up 3 18 wheelers with toys/clothes and hand them out in Compton, Watts, and other places of South Central LA.  I was real impressed when he said in an interview that after he gives his kids what they want for christmas that he is going to goto the poor communities and give those kids what they want too.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 10:06:45 AM »
Let's not forget about the unsung heroes of the NBA...

Walter Barry started the "Crack the Books" program. Cokeheads who donated 100 books to the public schools in their area received free crack vouchers.

And don't forget about the Shawn Kemp "Assist the Babies" program. He pledged to match $10 for every assistant he made to the Shawn Kemp Pay Your Child Support fund.

Dare I mention the Kobe Bryant "Don't Dip the Wick" Legal Defense Fund.
Paul