Author Topic: Vince Carter wants out, NOW!  (Read 1681 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Vince Carter wants out, NOW!
« on: September 16, 2004, 04:12:56 PM »
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3016526

"It doesn't change anything with us," Rob Babcock told The Associated Press on Thursday. "He's under contract with our team. We expect him to fulfill all obligations of the contract."
The Raptors' all-star guard told the Toronto Star in Thursday's editions: "It's time for the truth: I want to be traded." Carter also said in a letter to fans posted on his Web site that he's not eager to wait while the team rebuilds.

"My frustration comes from the fact that we have not been able to create an equation to win ballgames," Carter wrote. "I am at the point in my career where I do not have time to wait two to four years for a team to mature."

Carter remains one of the NBA's most popular players because of his highlight-reel dunks, but he has lost some of his explosiveness over the last four years because of knee injuries.

Carter, who has four years remaining on his contract, ducked questions about his future with the team when he was in Toronto for his annual charity all-star game in July. But Carter's agent, Mark Steinberg, said a week later his client asked the Raptors to explore trade possibilities.

Babcock, hired in June, acknowledged the trade demand is an "issue" for the franchise, but he said "it's not really an issue" because he's under contract.

"Is it the ideal way going to camp? No," Babcock said. "But it's really not the nightmare that other people think it is. Would I'd rather he was here without making any public statements and that he was 100 percent behind everything here, yeah absolutely, but he's under contract and I think Vince is a good person, and I think he'll be professional and do what he's supposed to do and fulfill his job."

Babcock hopes the five-time all-star will give his new regime a chance. The Raptors haven't made the playoffs the past two seasons and Sam Mitchell will be Carter's third coach in three years.

"If he comes in with an open mind that's all we want," Babcock said. "He hasn't had an opportunity to play under this system and see what it's like to be a part of this basketball team. This is a whole new era."

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 04:30:28 PM »
If vince hadn't demanded that they re-sign all the old guys to longterm contracts (Antonio Davis, Jerome Williams, Alvin Williams) in 2001 before he re-signed, the raps might not be as bad as they are now.  Those contracts (Davis' and Alvin's in particular) crippled the Raptors.

That's why I love it when players all of a sudden want to become GM's, then take no culpability when it goes bad.

jn

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 04:37:41 PM »
What WINNING team would do anything to trade for him? If I had to guess the most likely suitors would be losing teams looking to boost attendance.  Maybe I am underestimating his reputation but I have to think a lot of winning teams would be unwilling to part with much to get a guy who hasn't elevated his team and hasn't stayed healthy.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 05:03:18 PM »
If vince hadn't demanded that they re-sign all the old guys to longterm contracts (Antonio Davis, Jerome Williams, Alvin Williams) in 2001 before he re-signed, the raps might not be as bad as they are now.  Those contracts (Davis' and Alvin's in particular) crippled the Raptors.

That's why I love it when players all of a sudden want to become GM's, then take no culpability when it goes bad.
What they should have doen was kept T-mac and let VC go.......but then again I dont think any of us were expecting VC's sidekick (at the time) to become one of the very best guards in the league.  Let alone making VC look like a bum when they go head to head.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 05:03:37 PM by westkoast »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 07:56:37 PM »
Maybe I am underestimating his reputation but I have to think a lot of winning teams would be unwilling to part with much to get a guy who hasn't elevated his team and hasn't stayed healthy.

Oh, he elevated his team.  in 2000 he took a putrid team to the playoffs and in 2001 he was a shot away from the finals with a "slightly less" putrid team.

His problem since then has been health, mainly.  But the man does have skills and can help a winning team.

In fact, of the wing players in the league right now he might be the one most suited for a team oriented game, IMO.  He doesn't need to dominate the ball like TMac, AI and the like.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2004, 10:04:05 AM »
Maybe I am underestimating his reputation but I have to think a lot of winning teams would be unwilling to part with much to get a guy who hasn't elevated his team and hasn't stayed healthy.

Oh, he elevated his team.  in 2000 he took a putrid team to the playoffs and in 2001 he was a shot away from the finals with a "slightly less" putrid team.

His problem since then has been health, mainly.  But the man does have skills and can help a winning team.

In fact, of the wing players in the league right now he might be the one most suited for a team oriented game, IMO.  He doesn't need to dominate the ball like TMac, AI and the like.
This is also 4 years and a few injuries in key areas later.  He can be a solid contributor but will he be able to suck it up, fill in as a role player,  and realize that he's no longer considered one of the top 5 players in the league?

I think anyone would like to pick him up.  The question is who needs him?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 10:05:00 AM by westkoast »

jn

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 10:31:59 AM »
Good points dabods.  I think maybe the drastic change in how I view him colored my vision.  Of course all those accomplishments were in the Eastern Conference so they don't really mean much.   ;)

And westkoast the second part of the question"who wants him" is "how much are they willing to give."?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2004, 12:09:56 PM »
Good points dabods.  I think maybe the drastic change in how I view him colored my vision.  Of course all those accomplishments were in the Eastern Conference so they don't really mean much.   ;)

And westkoast the second part of the question"who wants him" is "how much are they willing to give."?
Or better yet how much is he willing to play for in the future?  That's where the whole super-star/role player thing comes into play.  If he leaves for another team, at least one that would be worth being traded to, he is not going to be the man.  His salary should reflect that too down the line.  Is he willing to take a reduced role and a reduced salary?

Anyone remember how long he signed for?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 12:12:08 PM by westkoast »