Author Topic: Survival football  (Read 2705 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Survival football
« on: September 12, 2004, 06:59:35 PM »
The Losers were

Ted picked Houston over San Diego and they lost 27-20
Reality picked Baltimore over Cleveland and they lost 20-3
WOW picked Chicago over Detroit and they lost 20-16
spursfan101 picked Dallas over Minnesota and they lost 35-17

The winners were

westkoast picked Minnesota over Dallas and they won 35-17
Bods Ballers  picked Minnesota over Dallas and they won 35-17
Lurker picked the Jets over Cincy and they won 31-24
Ziggy picked St. Louis over Arizona and they won 17-10
Wolverine picked St. Louis over Arizona and they won 17-10
ziggy's son picked Philly over the Giants and they won 31-17
jn picked Minnesota and they won 35-17

A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Survival football
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 11:23:52 PM »
Can I trade in my victory in the first round for a Raider victory against Pitt today instead?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Survival football
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 11:25:16 PM »
Figures the Lions would break a 24 game/3 year drought on my pick!

BASTARDS!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Survival football
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 12:10:27 AM »

That's why you don't try to be a genius the first 2-3 weeks, because you don't have enough to base upsets on.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Survival football
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 11:36:04 AM »
Wasn't any of our Survivor picks but did anyone see Payton Manning the $34 million signing bonus boy flunk QB 101?  In chip shot field goal range and he lets himself get sacked for a 12 yard loss.  Vanderjact then missed for the 1st time in 42 tries.

No noise about how fast the NEngland linebacker got in.  Thats 101 that in that circumstance as QB you do not let yourself get sacked.  Get outside of tackles and dump it on the ground.  Or hork it upfield and out of bounds.

New D coordinator, same KC Chiefs weakness.  Give up the long runs.   :alcohol:

Lastly yeah WOW sure was trying to be a genius by picking Lions to lose opener.  They'd only lost 24 straight, Chi was 10 yards away from the winning score with a 1st down in the last tminute.  

jn

Survival football
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 12:17:58 PM »
Yes and Detroit won because of a blocked kick returned 90  yards for a TD.  WOW lost by fluke.

101, however.  Picking against against a powerhouse offense on it's home turf.   :nonono:

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Survival football
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 12:26:13 PM »
Picking against Minnesota is never a stupid move. Look at last year. Powerhouse the first 8 weeks or so, then...FLOP!
Paul

jn

Survival football
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 01:56:34 PM »
Then you should have waited a few weeks to pick against them.   ;)  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Survival football
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 03:58:16 PM »

That's why you don't try to be a genius the first 2-3 weeks, because you don't have enough to base upsets on.
Genius?

I don't think you understand the K.I.S.S. priciple as it was applied to Detroit.  Reality gets it.  It should have been a lock.

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Survival football
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 04:44:43 PM »
Nothing with Chicago's a lock.  Nothing.

Detroit might be a better team than Chicago.  You don't take a chance in week 1 based on some "trend."  Trends are meaningless in football.  You can make up a trend to support every team winning.  Looking beyond the performance of a team in given situations before this year is asking for trouble, especially one as young as Detroit that has had as many changes as Detroit.

You tried to pick a week where a bad team could win, and you could get away with moving on with Chicago, saving the good teams for later in the year.  Good strategy, if it wasn't the first week of the season.  It's far too risky and too much of a quessing game to be doing so this early.  You got burned.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 04:52:36 PM by dbodner »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Survival football
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 05:05:37 PM »
Actually I didn't think WOW's pick was that bad at all.  In fact as I said in the other thread I was thinking about the same pick.  However I felt that Chicago had too many questions and that the game could come down to lucky breaks or wrong bounces.  Too much inexperience on both sides of the ball to feel comfortable  picking that game IMO.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
Survival football
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 08:33:32 PM »

Genius?

I don't think you understand the K.I.S.S. priciple as it was applied to Detroit.  Reality gets it.  It should have been a lock.
The biggest mistake people make is to try and steal a win with a bad team.  There are 32 teams and 17 weeks.  You DON"T have to pick every team, you just can't pick any team twice.  The reality is that if this lasts 9 weeks I will be stunned.  So you only have to pick 6/7/8 times correctly.  I watched this last year, and in every league I watched NOT ONE went past 8 weeks.

As Derek said, the streak Detroit is on has very little to do with the first game this year.  You make the assumption that it will continue, against a marginal team like the Bears, and you are tempting fate.  It is a risk that you don't have to take.  if it was Detroit on the road against NE, or Indy, or Carolina, or Minn, or Seattle then it makes a great deal more sense.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Survival football
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 11:32:43 PM »

Genius?

The biggest mistake people make is to try and steal a win with a bad team.  There are 32 teams and 17 weeks.  You DON"T have to pick every team, you just can't pick any team twice.  The reality is that if this lasts 9 weeks I will be stunned.  So you only have to pick 6/7/8 times correctly.  I watched this last year, and in every league I watched NOT ONE went past 8 weeks.

As Derek said, the streak Detroit is on has very little to do with the first game this year.  You make the assumption that it will continue, against a marginal team like the Bears, and you are tempting fate.  It is a risk that you don't have to take.  if it was Detroit on the road against NE, or Indy, or Carolina, or Minn, or Seattle then it makes a great deal more sense.
Three year drought, I can't break it down more than that.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
Survival football
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2004, 12:45:02 AM »

Genius?

Three year drought, I can't break it down more than that.
Well think of it terms of another Detroit team.  No titles in 13 years, so using your logic THERE IS NO WAY THAT THEY COULD BEAT THE LAKERS.  DOH!!!

AA Mil

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Survival football
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 07:59:49 AM »
Or Tampa Bay, never winning under 40 degrees, getting knocked out from the playoffs 2 straight years by philly, couldn't possibly win in the nfc championship game at philly.

As I originally said, streaks or trends that go beyond the current year are pretty much worthless in football.  Most of the key players for Detroit were still in college when that streak began.  And how many coaches ago was that?

Ziggy said it perfectly.