Author Topic: Wow, hope no more rookies score on the MVP . . .  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Wow, hope no more rookies score on the MVP . . .
« on: August 31, 2004, 09:25:59 AM »
• Pssst: At an informal workout the other day at Target Center, after Timberwolves rookie Rick Rickert made a nifty move to slip past his boyhood idol, Kevin Garnett of the Wolves, to score a basket, Garnett responded, without warning, by punching Rickert in the jaw.

A cut required seven stitches to close, and Rickert also suffered a chipped tooth. The astonished 6-10 Rickert didn't retaliate against the 7-foot NBA most valuable player, who also had unkind words for the former Gophers player. Apparently, the rookie wasn't supposed to score on the MVP. Rickert received his stitches at University of Minnesota Hospital.

Because the incident involved the Wolves' franchise player, the incident seemingly will make it even more difficult for Rickert to make the Wolves' final roster.

Gee, what a wonderful role model this Garnett guy is.  He shows such great leadership skills and concern for others.  Or has the MVP trophy gone straight to his head.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 10:53:55 AM »
Where was this posted (not that I don't believe you, I just want to send it to someone)

jn

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 11:20:26 AM »
It's from a guy named Charley "Shooter" Walters in the St. Paul Pioneer Press.  Shooter is and old school columnist who just does a bunch of short blurbs several days a week.  His accuracy has been slipping the past few years.

Still if this even half true it's ridiculous.   Rickert is a softy from Duluth.  I can think of no reason for this.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 11:38:34 AM »
At least he didnt bring his glocks and his uzi's to practice that day.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 11:43:01 AM »
Where was this posted (not that I don't believe you, I just want to send it to someone)
I linked to it from another site (HoopsHype.com)...but it is in the St. Paul Pioneer Press.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 07:51:44 PM »
Pssst: At an informal workout the other day at Target Center, after Timberwolves rookie Rick Rickert made a nifty move to slip past his boyhood idol, Kevin Garnett of the Wolves, to score a basket, Garnett responded, without warning, by punching Rickert in the jaw.

A cut required seven stitches to close, and Rickert also suffered a chipped tooth. The astonished 6-10 Rickert didn't retaliate against the 7-foot NBA most valuable player, who also had unkind words for the former Gophers player. Apparently, the rookie wasn't supposed to score on the MVP. Rickert received his stitches at University of Minnesota Hospital.

Because the incident involved the Wolves' franchise player, the incident seemingly will make it even more difficult for Rickert to make the Wolves' final roster.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 08:59:44 AM »
My guess is in the next few days you'll start to hear about elbows, back picks or trying to take out someones knees.  There's obviously more to this story.

jn

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 09:47:50 AM »
Walter's follow up today mentioned Garnett apparently realized he screwed up.  That and some fawning stuff directed at Rickert's toughness.

Someone on another site reminded me that KG and Andrae Patterson, another marginal player, got into a fight a few years back and Patterson managed to hang on with the Wolves another year and half.  

Another report I heard was that KG acutally hit him twice and was going for a third when someone stepped in.  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 02:56:38 PM »
Hope that other player his him where it hurts.  In the pocketbook!
Paul