Author Topic: The AI quandry . . .  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
The AI quandry . . .
« on: February 19, 2004, 01:16:15 PM »
The Allen Iverson update

Allen Iverson will not be traded in the next few hours, but the Sixers -- for the first time in years -- admit they can't rule out the possibility down the road.

That's because Philly is a team on the decline, badly in need of a makeover but saddled with several highly paid veterans who are virtually impossible to trade ... veterans who wouldn't fetch much in return if the Sixers could move them. As a result, it's difficult to envision how Iverson's bosses will ever put the pieces around him that will restore Philly as an NBA Finals contender.

That inevitably leads to the idea that Iverson, the Sixers' only asset with significant value, should be traded so the franchise can start over. Teams that are struggling financially, like Atlanta or Orlando, would relish the opportunity to acquire one of the few stars in sports who attracts a sellout crowd wherever he goes. Iverson for Tracy McGrady? Iverson to the Hawks in a three-way deal that also features 'Sheed, a Philadelphia native? Such trades are bound to be discussed this summer.

Of course, the problem with trading Iverson is that star power that fills the seats -- AI keeps Philly in the black no matter how the team looks on the court. And if it's not contending for a championship, an NBA team's next objective is making money.

So ...

The quandary Philly faces is this: If they don't trade Iverson soon, the Sixers might be stuck with him forever, well into Iverson's 30s. That's when the beating he takes will inevitably take its toll. But if they do trade Iverson, the trade had better make the Sixers better immediately. Because if Iverson ain't there, winning is the only thing that will keep the fans coming to The House The Answer Built.

ESPN.com

Rickortreat

The AI quandry . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 03:32:50 PM »
Unless they could get T-Mac, Kobe or Vince, there's very few players the Sixers could get in return to compensate enough to make them better.

Are the Sixers dead-meat if they stay they way they are?  Not necessarilly.  Not having Coleman and Jackson changed teh team completly.  Particularly on the defensive end, they're much weaker without big bodies to clog the middle.  Kenny Thomas and Big Dog aren't big enough.  Dalembert is great, but he's one, very inexperienced player.

The team could have been a contender this year if not for the injuries.  Mckie and Snow are both expendible, now that some of their younger players are demonstrating ability.  

I'd rather see what the team could actually do, before I let go of the best piece in the set.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
The AI quandry . . .
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 04:20:34 PM »
What about AI's latest challenge to coaching and management?  Do you think that's going away?  What coach in their right mind wants to come in and challenge AI if they fire Ford after this season?  I wouldn't!  And without a decent coach to make this team actually play some defense, this team is going to suck exhaust even in the weak EC.  I think at some point you begin to think of the future -- and I don't think any team with AI has much of a future.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
The AI quandry . . .
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 04:28:16 PM »
Ford would be gone before AI.  Ford hasn't done much and AI has proven himself to be a cash cow and ratings draw for the Sixers.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
The AI quandry . . .
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 04:34:34 PM »
Ford would be gone before AI. Ford hasn't done much and AI has proven himself to be a cash cow and ratings draw for the Sixers.

If this is true, and I believe it is as well, then it condemns the Sixers to mediocrity until AI retires.  It took one of the best teaching coaches in the league to get AI to play well with others -- I don't see him doing that for anyone other than say PJ and that's not going to happen.  

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
The AI quandry . . .
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 05:10:30 PM »
Maurice Cheeks would coach Iverson...in a Philadelphia second.  Even if Portland is improving.  Even if Portland might end up being a better team.

Sometimes, the job you want is the one where you played, and that's the case with Maurice Cheeks.

As big of a headache as Allen Iverson *MIGHT* be, there'll be plenty of folks lining up to coach Philly when Ford is gone.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
The AI quandry . . .
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 05:50:01 PM »
Ford would be gone before AI. Ford hasn't done much and AI has proven himself to be a cash cow and ratings draw for the Sixers.

Ford has publicly stated that he doesn't want to coach ANY nba team next year, let alone the sixers.  he stated this when he took the job, and was the reason they gave him interim title.  he's done this year if they trade ai, trade the whole team or do nothing.  so it's not really a factor.