Author Topic: OT: Issues you would like to see Bush/Kerry debate  (Read 2559 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
OT: Issues you would like to see Bush/Kerry debate
« on: August 23, 2004, 08:54:31 PM »
Since we have a little mix of political views around here I thought I would pose this question to the board.  What are some issues you would like to see Bush and Kerry go at it about?  Other than the main 2 they seem to be focusing in on.

Ones I would like to see them speak more about is social security (since I believe I wont ever see mine so why do I need to let Uncle Sam bend me over every 2 weeks) and this overtime issue.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 10:59:10 PM »
US role in Iraq
Homeland Security
US role in United Nations
Intelligence reform - or improved performance
Government waste
Elimination of Partisan Politics and focus on what's good for the American people
Campaign reform
"War on Terror"
Migration of jobs to overseas

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 12:58:53 AM »
Joe already had a few that I would have interest in, a few others below

Kyoto Protocal - would you sign or not and why

Specific propsals on an energy policy

International trade, how many and what kinds of trade barriers, duties and or tarrifs would you propose, and what trade barriers will you fight

What will you do regarding North Korea

What will you do if Iran develops a nuke, and what if Isreal takes preemptive action to prevent it

What actions will you take on tort reform

What specific parts of the government would you propose we privatize

What actions will you take to force unions to follow the same anti-trust and anti-competitive laws the private business must follow

Would you support that an International body like the International Court have jurisdiction over US soldiers fighting in war, outside US soil.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 08:23:20 AM »
The complete opening up of our borders
The legalization of prostitution
Convening of a special prosecuter to find out who REALLY killed Kennedy
The opening up of files on the Area 51 incident.
Paul

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 01:01:18 PM »
Ziggy, Joe...great issues to bring up.  Some of those I just didnt even think about to tell you the truth.  I am especially intrested in the foreign trade and the Isreal/Iran/Korea.  Im worried about countries WE KNOW have weapons like this for a FACT.  Not we heard from a guy who heard from his cousin who is dating a girl who use to live in Iraq.

Spursfan101, im disapointed in you for putting the hooker issue above a more important issue like what the title of the next star wars will be.

*puts silver and black dunce cap on 101
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 01:02:22 PM by westkoast »

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 01:07:50 PM »
Hey West-Toast,

Haven't you heard? The George already released the title. It's going to be called The Revenge of the Sith.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 01:09:40 PM »
Hey West-Toast,

Haven't you heard? The George already released the title. It's going to be called The Revenge of the Sith.
*turns in pocket protector and ti-83 calculator*

:cry:

Im still dorky right guys?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 01:10:03 PM by westkoast »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 02:04:00 PM »
Not nearly as Dorkey as me sitting here with my treo smartphone....

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 01:36:43 PM »
A couple of other issues that I forgot to add to my list

Where do you stand on embryonic stem cell research?  
Do you support creating human embryos strictly for the purpose of destroying them for research?  
Do you support using federal funds to do research where human embroys are created then destroyed strictly for the purpose of research?  
Do you support creating embryos strictly for the purpose of destroying them to harvest embryonic stem cells for theraputic reasons aka "personal biological repair kits"?  
Do you support theraputic cloning of human embryos?  
If you do support theraputic cloning, and you do support destroying embroys strictly for the purpose of harvesting stem cells, can you make an argument that is consistent with those beliefs that does not support reproductive human cloning, for any reason theraputic or not?  
And finally do you agree with the statement that "the moral history of mankind is more important than its medical history"?  
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

jn

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 01:50:24 PM »
ziggy,

"the moral history of mankind is more important than its medical history"?

Please clarify if you would.  

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 03:03:04 PM »
ziggy,

I think they should debate Bar b que sauce....

George is a "Texan" and Kerry is in the Heinz family....it should be interesting!
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 03:52:23 PM »
ziggy,

Are there limits to medical pursuits on moral or ethical grounds?  If not then the medical history of mankind is more important than the moral history.

Josef Mengele believed that there was no moral or ethical dilemma in the research he did.  Many of the researchers who do medical research on animals for the benefit of humans presents no moral or ethical dilemma.  Many of the practitioners and researchers of embryonic stem cells see no moral or ethical dilemma in creating and destroying human embryos for research or for human theraputic treatments.  John Edwards himself stated that he supported human theraputic cloning, and John Kerry co-sponsered a bill in the Senate that would explictly allow the creation of human embryos BY CLONING, if they are destroyed within 14 days.

So the question is "what if it is determined that 14 days is not a sufficient time by which to create and harvest the necessary embryonic stem cells, for proper theraputic benefit in humans?"
"What if it is determined that implantation of cloned embryos into human wombs, and then aborted after six months creates the greatest human medical benefit?"
"What if it is determined it is medically best to actually birth these humans derived from cloned embryos, and then destroy them to harvest organs?"

There very well be a great many medical benefits that can be derived from embryonic stem cells, but that is FAR from being determined.  Even given that the possibility exists, are you prepared to do morally ambigious or ethically repugnant things in the hope that we will see someday see some breakthrough in human medical therapies?

AA Mil

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 08:14:06 AM »
What's wrong with animal testing? Animal testing on mice has saved thousands of cancer patients from sure death. How do you think the all the latest cancer treatments have come about?

And PROPS to Kerry for wanting to fund stem cel research.  
Paul

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 08:48:32 AM »
What's wrong with animal testing? Animal testing on mice has saved thousands of cancer patients from sure death. How do you think the all the latest cancer treatments have come about?

And PROPS to Kerry for wanting to fund stem cel research.
Spursfan101
I didn't say testing on animals was wrong, and I didn't say it hasn't done much good.  My point was that it poses ethical and moral dilemmas.  That was the point of the earlier question regarding moral and medical history as well.  Just because it poses an ethical or moral dilemma does not mean it can't or shouldn't be done.

So does Bush deserve props as well for supporting federal funding on adult stem cells, cord blood stem cells, and only existing embryonic stem cell lines?  Does Kerry deserve props as well for co-sponsering legislation that would for the first time allow the theraputic cloning of human embryos with the express and legally required purpose of destroying them within 14 days?  Are you prepared to support morally ambigious or ethically repugnant things in the hope that we will someday see some breakthrough in human medical therapies?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 09:53:03 AM by ziggy »

AA Mil