Author Topic: Jazz make a couple of deals . . .  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
Jazz make a couple of deals . . .
« on: February 19, 2004, 01:12:25 PM »
According to Marc Stein, ESPN

DeShawn Stevenson to Orlando for Gordan Giricek

Keon Clark and Ben Handlogten to Phoenix for Tom Gugliotta and two first-round picks.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 01:13:32 PM »
Gordan seems like a good pick up for Utah........
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 01:22:55 PM »
2 first for keon?

ouch.

good trade by the jazz.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 01:31:23 PM »
Are those picks protected?  The Suns will probably be in the lottery.

This could be an excellent trade!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 01:35:19 PM »
I like these trades:

Stevenson and Giricek might be a wash. DeShawn has found an average outside shot and has had some good games, but he's not a breakout player. He can't beat people off the dribble, and he's not a special defender by any means. Giricek could be a good scorer, and if Sloan can get him to buy into the system and play defense with effort, he could be the deep threat that can be so effective in Sloan's methodical offense. (Anyone remember Hornacek?)

Clark and Handlogten is a good trade, too. I can't believe Phoenix would give up two draft picks for Keon. Handlogten is a dime-a-dozen 6-10er. He rarely gets of the bench. I'll be interested to see what Gugliotta can do in a system that works well for big men with an outside touch. He's barely been off the pine this year, so I'm not expecting much. The draft picks are enough for Clark IMO. He hasn't done a thing for the Jazz this year.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 01:55:58 PM »
Those are FUTURE first rounders.  Can't say at this time if they will be decent picks or not.  If the Suns improve then they could be low first rounders.

:ph34r:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 03:07:10 PM »
Wowwy, wow wow wow.

We dumped DeShawn, and we got Gugliotta.  I've got a team again, although I hated giving up Handlogten.

What the heck is Orlando going to do with DeShawn Stevenson?  Getting Giricek for him is a steal.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 04:25:25 PM »
The Jazz dump two players they don't want (one they aren't even using) and get a real possibility as well as a smart big man (Googs) who can shoot from the outside.  Googs NEEDS a system to play in and Clark can't play in one -- so I think this is a good trade for BOTH teams -- I think the two draft picks could swing this trade in the Jazz direction though.

I really don't understand why the Magic traded for DeShawn -- sure, they guy shows some talent but he needs to be free to wheel-and-deal and he's not even that great at wheeling-and-dealing.  He's like a little cheaper version of Ricky Davis -- without the range and not quite-as-much skill. Neither play any brand of defense and both have huge egos that think they are the best player in the league.

Utah did VERY well today.  Orlando has made some VERY interesting moves lately -- none of them good, IMO.