Author Topic: THE VILLAGE  (Read 2597 times)

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
THE VILLAGE
« on: July 30, 2004, 08:29:29 AM »
Anyone heard any buzz on this movie yet?  Looks aweseome, can't wait to see it. :eek2:  
Paul

jn

THE VILLAGE
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 04:28:23 PM »
Here's a roundup from the IMDB.

The scariest thing about The Village may be some of the reviews that it's getting. Once the darling of critics following his The Sixth Sense, M. Night Shyamalan has been reduced to a whipping boy with this film. Indeed, New York Post critic Lou Lumenick remarks, "A gifted director and visual stylist, Shyamalan's scripts sadly have gotten progressively clunkier." Roger Ebert writes in the Chicago Sun-Times: "Critics were enjoined after the screening to avoid revealing the plot secrets. That is not because we would spoil the movie for you. It's because if you knew them, you wouldn't want to go." Discussing those plot twists, A.O. Scott in the New York Times remarks: "The last thing I want to do is spoil the fun, meager though it is." As for the surprise ending, Stephen Hunter in the Washington Post comments that it's "quite lame, quite tame and quite old. ... I figured it out plenty early, and the 75 percent of you who are smarter than I will get it even earlier." Jack Mathews in the New York Daily News refers to the movie as "a genuine clinker" and "a dreary mess." Joe Morgenstern writes in the Wall Street Journal: "Movies don't come much sillier, or slower, than The Village." On the other hand, Carrie Rickey in the Philadelphia Inquirer calls it a "hair-raising yarn ... Shyamalan deftly turns a familiar fairy tale into an eerie scary tale." And Eric Harrison in the Houston Chronicle calls it "Shyamalan's best film since The Sixth Sense."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
THE VILLAGE
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 04:42:44 PM »
"Shyamalan's best film since The Sixth Sense."
That's not saying anything at all.  All his movies since have sucked, signs was a POS!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
THE VILLAGE
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 10:49:50 AM »
Not planning on spending your cash on this movie?  Go to

www.themoviespoiler.com

for a detailed spoiler of the movie.
Paul

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
THE VILLAGE
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 11:12:56 AM »
"Critics were enjoined after the screening to avoid revealing the plot secrets. That is not because we would spoil the movie for you. It's because if you knew them, you wouldn't want to go."

:huh:

If someone told you the plot secrets, then it would be spoiling the movie, which means you wouldnt want to go.  Too much popcorn on the brain Ebert.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
THE VILLAGE
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 12:02:54 PM »
If someone told you the plot secrets, then it would be spoiling the movie, which means you wouldnt want to go

Not necessarily.

Would you watch 6th sense again?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
THE VILLAGE
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 12:36:26 PM »
If someone told you the plot secrets, then it would be spoiling the movie, which means you wouldnt want to go

Not necessarily.

Would you watch 6th sense again?
I watched it anyways after it being spoiled to see how he was able to trick people for a solid hour and a half.  Thats one of the reasons I liked the movie so much even tho it was spoiled for me.  He did a good job of making it seem like the lead character was actually alive and taking part in those situations.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 12:38:07 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
THE VILLAGE
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 10:45:04 AM »
I just saw it after a trusted source saw it.  I liked it.  Nothing like the advertizements.  I was told of the plotline and still liked it.  Plot line is a shocker when compared to was ads make you envision.

Ebert is paid off doughball.   I figured that one out a long time ago.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
THE VILLAGE
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 11:30:28 AM »
He did a good job of making it seem like the lead character was actually alive and taking part in those situations.

I think he did an excellent job of making the lead character not the lead character.

IMO, what makes 6th sense work, is because after Bruce is shot, all the attention is on the kid.  How he's being treated by kids in school, how it's affecting his mother, having him come forward with his problem then fixing his problem.  You get so caught up in following the kid you don't let the absolute obviousness of Bruce being dead hit you.

When watching 6th sense again, it amazed me how absolutely obvious the plot twist was.  That's when I realized just how great the movie was, because no matter how obvious he made it I (and pretty much everyone who saw it, the first time) had absolutely no idea it was coming.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
THE VILLAGE
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 11:41:30 AM »
'bods I was talking about The Village.  :rofl:

As i look at the posts i made it seem like 6th Sence.  Sorry.  Its all good.  I love commentary on movies.
I think she liked that one too.  I'll give it a whirl.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
THE VILLAGE
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 12:48:25 PM »
'bods I was talking about The Village. rrofl.gif

Reality I quoted westkoast  :rofl:  
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 12:48:46 PM by dbodner »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
THE VILLAGE
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 07:23:44 AM »

i saw the village finally, my wife and i are both shamalamadingdong fans, but we both thought this was the worst movie ever.  I told people who kept trying to let me know about the movie without spoiling it for know that if it was "somekind of scoobie doo movie where 'old man winters' is the one behind everything..."  and wouldnt you know.........it was a damn scoobie doo movie.....only it probably would have been better if scoobie was even in the movie to begin.....or hell maybe if i just had the doobie it could have been better, but no - this movie BITES!!
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
THE VILLAGE
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 10:08:49 AM »

i saw the village finally, my wife and i are both shamalamadingdong fans, but we both thought this was the worst movie ever.  I told people who kept trying to let me know about the movie without spoiling it for know that if it was "somekind of scoobie doo movie where 'old man winters' is the one behind everything..."  and wouldnt you know.........it was a damn scoobie doo movie.....only it probably would have been better if scoobie was even in the movie to begin.....or hell maybe if i just had the doobie it could have been better, but no - this movie BITES!!
Next time give a "spoiler" warning stupid Texan hick (yes that's redundant).
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
THE VILLAGE
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2004, 10:46:34 AM »

Next time give a "spoiler" warning stupid Texan hick (yes that's redundant).
SPoiler my arse, i am doing people a favor here....
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
THE VILLAGE
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 10:59:47 AM »

So you did or did not like The Village?

Also Westkoast you did or did like The Village?

I'm picturing SpursX3 nd wife snuggled up alongside Roger Ebert eating popcorn.  With disgruntled looks.
 :eek2: