Author Topic: OT: Joe V, I seez ya lurking!  (Read 7244 times)

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
OT: Joe V, I seez ya lurking!
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2004, 03:04:12 PM »
Rolando,
     First of all - GET IN ON THE FANTASY LEAGUE!  WE NEED YOU!

Now - back to the subject at hand:  Shaq doesn't face many low-post centers who look to score.  Duncan fits the mold, and about half the time (if not more), it's a power forward covering him.  Duncan is the only real low-post offensive-minded center - and he's also the focal point of the Spurs offense.  Campbell, in contrast, isn't a focal point - although, by my strategy, he would be.  Kobe and crew aren't going to be upset that they have to help Shaq handle Tim Duncan...but I can't think they'd be happy if they had to help him handle Elden Campbell.

Ben Wallace isn't an offensive threat, per se, which is why I'd use him and his mobility in pick-and-roll.  And Okur has serious range.  The idea is that you don't have a single player who can make Shaq take a look at the entire spectrum, the way a young Arvydas Sabonis might have, so you have to use multiple players if you want to do that.  Detroit has the right personnel.  The question remains whether they'll do it or not.

Joe

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Guest_Randy

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2004, 05:07:18 PM »
Rolando,

Now - back to the subject at hand:  Shaq doesn't face many low-post centers who look to score.  Duncan fits the mold, and about half the time (if not more), it's a power forward covering him.  Duncan is the only real low-post offensive-minded center - and he's also the focal point of the Spurs offense.  Campbell, in contrast, isn't a focal point - although, by my strategy, he would be.  Kobe and crew aren't going to be upset that they have to help Shaq handle Tim Duncan...but I can't think they'd be happy if they had to help him handle Elden Campbell.

Ben Wallace isn't an offensive threat, per se, which is why I'd use him and his mobility in pick-and-roll.  And Okur has serious range.  The idea is that you don't have a single player who can make Shaq take a look at the entire spectrum, the way a young Arvydas Sabonis might have, so you have to use multiple players if you want to do that.  Detroit has the right personnel.  The question remains whether they'll do it or not.

Joe
Again, not sure how you figure all of this -- IF these players were in their prime (Campbell is well past his, Okur isn't even close to being in his prime and Wallace is simply not multi-faceted) you MIGHT be able to do what you are talking about but Shaq knows Campbell -- they played against each other every day in practice.  Campbell isn't as good now as he was then.

Next, Campbell is capable of playing 15 minutes a game and you are going to struggle with his rebounding and his post play.  Sure, he has some moves around the basket -- he also has the absolute WORST hands in the NBA.  You think that Ostertag can't hold on to the ball -- wait until you watch Elden -- it's not pretty.  Okur isn't a good enough shooter to pull Shaq out of the post -- the Lakers can simply cover with their backcourt players or watch him shoot -- and the Pistons had better hope that he makes 45% or better from the arch because they aren't getting another shot.

I think the Pistons BEST option is to try to get Shaq out of the paint on pick-and-rolls -- it's their best way to try and get Shaq in foul trouble and/or get some easy looks at the basket.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2004, 06:58:42 PM »
Rolando,

Joe
Wallace is no serious offensive threat but Randy made it out to sound like he can't do anything.  His jumper has actually improved quite a bit this year.  Plus he is the best in the league at getting an offensive rebound in the paint and getting it back up towards the rim.

I dont think your Elden strategy will work because unlike Sabonis/Vlade he lacks that creativity in the paint and a hook shot that is effective against Shaq.  Both players were so good at finiding creative ways to get their arms and/or body around Shaq.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com