Author Topic: Congratulations yet again, JoMal, Jordan  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Congratulations yet again, JoMal, Jordan
« on: May 16, 2004, 10:22:29 PM »
Good game. That elbow to Garnett by was Peeler was punk, Garnett's return elbow was punk too but he got away with it because Peeler was double punk wtih that elbow to the jaw, they both deserved to be ejected and I will be surprised if Peeler is not suspened for that one.

Overall Sacramento shows flashes of defensive intensity, but not the aggressiveness they need at this point in the post season. The Wolves never acted like they were afraid of driving and Chris Webber is still the waaaay overrated soft little woman I've always took him for. Good game for Peja, and Bibby proves how important he is to this team every game. Half Minnesota's TO's came off heads up defense by the Kings and they turned them into some pretty easy buckets.

JN, your boys have their work cut out for them Wednesday, Sacramento is not afraid of you and they match up better than I thought, Miller was seriously disruptive of Garnett's game and Garnett is acting more like a thug out there every game.

Glad the Kings won but only because it gives LA a couple extra days rest, I don't care which team we face. If LA plays the way they played the Spurs in the last 4 games, no way either of these teams can beat them in a 7 game series, although I would love to see LA break Webbers little woman heart again, so for sentiments sake, that's the matchup I would prefer.
Dan

Guest_Randy

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 10:55:12 PM »
KG and Peeler BOTH deserve to have gotten ejected from the game and Peeler will be riding the pine in game 7 for the elbow to the jaw.  The got tied up on the other end and BOTH players weren't happy about it -- I'm still trying to figure out where Peeler was going -- he was going deep into the paint and looked like he decided that he was going to go through KG to do it.  Deep in the paint is a little bit unusual place for a SG to be so I can't help but wonder if he didn't go down to let KG know that he wasn't afraid.  It's whack that KG wasn't tossed -- of course, they could have just caught the reaction rather than the initial blow.  Peeler is definately not playing in game 7 -- KG probably will get to play although he should have been ejected as well, IMO.  Superstars do get the calls.

Congrats to Kings fans -- their team did what they needed to do -- give the Lakers more time off to rest, I mean, take care of business and force a game 7.  I really don't care which team the Lakers play -- both will present different problems but I don't think either one of them are as good a team as the Spurs.  

By-the-way, does anyone think this years playoffs have been incredibly mixed?  Blowouts by opposing teams with seemingly little understanding of why?  I don't see a lot of adjustments by coaches in the Kings/TWolves matchup -- am I missing something?  I guess just some nights teams execute better than others?  And it's not just the Western Conference either -- we see the same thing in the Indy/Miami and Detroit/Nets series too.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 11:43:05 PM »

By-the-way, does anyone think this years playoffs have been incredibly mixed?  Blowouts by opposing teams with seemingly little understanding of why?  I don't see a lot of adjustments by coaches in the Kings/TWolves matchup -- am I missing something?  I guess just some nights teams execute better than others?  And it's not just the Western Conference either -- we see the same thing in the Indy/Miami and Detroit/Nets series too.
I think that has more to do with how well all the teams matchup with one another then it does anything else.  The teams that execute their game plan are the teams that are winning.  So far this has held true for every series of this round.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 08:09:59 AM »
Chris Webber is still the waaaay overrated

I don't think Chris is rated very highly anymore these days.

As for the "fight", they both deserved to be ejected, but you could see that from the one refs viewpoint he couldn't see Garnett's elbow.  Peeler started it (he definitely intentionally shoved KG down), then ended it with a blow to the head.  He shouldn't be playing game 7.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 10:59:56 AM »
Things were getting a little rough in that game. Must be the playoffs.

With the refs holding dear to the League's philosophy of letting the players play the game, it was inevitable that eventually things would get a little ugly. That it was Garnett and Peeler, two friends who don't even play against each other on most possessions was a big surprise. There were ample plays earlier where a couple of foul calls would have headed off trouble later, but no one was getting kicked into submission, so the officials just ignored the activity. Strange that KG would tempt fate like that though. He came very close to retaliating to the final Peeler elbow, but stopped just in time.

No question Peeler is out for game seven and Garnett will be playing. I did not see enough from KG to warrant him getting suspended as well, regardless of what the Kings think about it.

Game seven should prove to be either a Wolves blowout or a very tight contest. Since game two, I have felt the Kings were just going through the motions anyway, so this series getting to a game seven has totally surprised me. I have no faith in the Kings shooting any better then they have, and only their defense has kept them in these contests. Without their offense, though, I just cannot see them beating a much more active Wolves' team.

Dan, Webber is hardly going to be a problem for the Lakers in the conference finals if a miracle happens and the Kings reach them. He can not jump; he can not move laterally; he can not finish shots around the basket; and his outside shot is average on a good day for him. To continue to harbor such a strange anti-Webber animosity against a player who can't offer much more then Darius Songaila is extremely naive. His leg is obviously not 100 percent and may never be 100 percent ever again. This is sort of like you hoping that the Lakers will be getting another chance to play the Celtics and Larry Bird in the finals. The Webber you think you are getting is not available.

Now if Bibby and Peja show up for that series while you are busy mocking Webber, you are going to look like a fool, aren't you? If Bibby and Peja combine for 60 points and you are just happy that Webber got 10 and "looked" like he sulked for a minute afterwards because of it, at least you will be happy over the Laker loss I take it.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 11:31:43 AM »
I guess my point where Webber is concerned is, I have NEVER seen anything in him that comes even remotely close to living up to all the hype and press this malcontent little punk has recieved over the years. Sure, before the injuries, he had some talent, but he had no "game" and no heart, he has been and always will be, a loser with no killer instinct and no drive or desire. He seems more content to bite the hands that feed him and try to keep his undeserved image that he is "the great Chris Webber" alive by crying and whining like the little woman he is, there's nothing great about him, there's nothing special about him, there's nothing scary about him, there never has been. He's never done ANYTHING for the Kings except cry and complain and while this Kings team may be scrappy and props to them for pushing the Wolves to a game 7, but the bridesmaid label the Kings will wear for yet another year is IMO the direct result of him being in the lineup and Adelman being too stupid to see it.

I agree, Peja and Bibby get hot and it changes so many things, but LA just withstood a stifling Spurs defense and figured out a way to adjust to the Parker pick and roll and Duncan's incredible talent, even if I think he is a little soft, I am not afraid of the Kings right now. Malone and Shaq are not Garnett and Brad Miller is in for a rude awakening if he try's his little stunts against that frontcourt. And yes, I have a whole crow chilling in the freezer if I am wrong.
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 12:11:19 PM »
Dan, I certainly agree that any Laker/King series will not be decided by Webber's play. Unless he can miraculously start to hit his 15 foot jumpers more consistently, there is not much he can offer. This is now Bibby's team, though the Kings insist they have no obvious team leader. That is not true.

As for what Webber did previously, you are clearly wrong if you never saw what he could do. For a time, he was the complete power forward, with his passing, rebounding, shooting and overall talent. His first several years in Sacramento proved he was as good as advertised, regardless of your belief that he never lived up to the hype. Few players ever do, but for a time he was the best at his position in the NBA.

But no, he was never a player that could lead his team far enough and his off-court antics have never put him in an elite status either. I have to agree that the latest indications of his malcontent over his playing time and being booed does not set well with me, but lately he has not said anything, has hardly been interviewed, for that matter, and has mostly been quiet over his modest, but effective playing against the T-Wolves. He has a good offensive game about every third time out, but he looks to be having too much difficulty in jumping or pushing off his bad leg. I do give him credit for even playing on it when others had to check out of the season early because of similar injuries.

You are wrong about his drive and desire. His rehab to come back proves that to be wrong. What he lacks is poise during important parts of key games. He must have a nervous stomach that prevents him from executing properly in crunch time. That is totally different from lacking desire.

What chance the Kings may have to even meet the Lakers in the next series has much more to do with Bibby's play and Peja's shooting. While Bibby will bring his attitude, I have not a clue what is wrong with Peja. The entire offense just stinks if Peja can't shoot and it has stunk for most of this series. Much more problematic for the Kings lately is not Chris being in the lineup, as he has done very well on defense and has keep the offense moving, but the disappearance of Peja. Stojakovic's lack of scoring, his horrible passing, and his bizarre expectation that refs are going to bail him out every time he shoots and misses have been far more trouble for the Kings then Webber's play, which has been very good in general.

Miller is not going to change what he does regarding Malone; if anything he will be more of a headache. That is his game and no one, including Shaq as you should well know, frightens Brad in the least. Miller absolutely loves playing the game rough. He craves the contact and the shoving and the floor burns. His goal is to see those elbows start to fly and that look of anger and retaliation coming his way.

Rude awakening? You mean status quo.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 12:39:02 PM »
Dan, I certainly agree that any Laker/King series will not be decided by Webber's play. Unless he can miraculously start to hit his 15 foot jumpers more consistently, there is not much he can offer. This is now Bibby's team, though the Kings insist they have no obvious team leader. That is not true.

I don't think Webber hitting his jumper is really going to matter because Malone plays the pick-n-roll very well.  Miller and Vlade will be more of a factor with their jumpshot because the best way to beat the Lakers defense is still the pick-n-roll against Shaq.  So far the Lakers have survived that play because the gaurds, Francis and Parker, are not consistent.  Not true with Bibby and Cassell, both those guys are battle tested but the Wolves don't have anyone that is worth guarding beyone 5 feet playing the center position.  Shaq will hang back and they will play Sam for the jumper IF they should meet.

As for what Webber did previously, you are clearly wrong if you never saw what he could do. For a time, he was the complete power forward, with his passing, rebounding, shooting and overall talent. His first several years in Sacramento proved he was as good as advertised, regardless of your belief that he never lived up to the hype. Few players ever do, but for a time he was the best at his position in the NBA.

I think Webbers tendency to completely disappear in crunch time takes away alot from his rep.  I cannot think of a player that's a bigger disapppointment in the clutch...oh wait...Malone!  ;)  Franchise player who can't take a franchise shot is enough to kill anyone's rep but at least Malone stepped it up now and then but he's remembered for not being able to beat MJ, Webber is none for not beating ANYONE (Jazz, Lakers, Mavs and maybe Wolves).

You are wrong about his drive and desire. His rehab to come back proves that to be wrong. What he lacks is poise during important parts of key games. He must have a nervous stomach that prevents him from executing properly in crunch time. That is totally different from lacking desire.

I agree, the desire is there, just not the nerve.

What chance the Kings may have to even meet the Lakers in the next series has much more to do with Bibby's play and Peja's shooting. While Bibby will bring his attitude, I have not a clue what is wrong with Peja. The entire offense just stinks if Peja can't shoot and it has stunk for most of this series. Much more problematic for the Kings lately is not Chris being in the lineup, as he has done very well on defense and has keep the offense moving, but the disappearance of Peja. Stojakovic's lack of scoring, his horrible passing, and his bizarre expectation that refs are going to bail him out every time he shoots and misses have been far more trouble for the Kings then Webber's play, which has been very good in general.

This is why I didn't Peja as a franchise player.  A franchise player would find other ways to contribute.  Rebounding, driving to the hole for FT's, anything to offset his poor shooting.  I noticed the Peja has been shooting ALOT expecting contact and the call from the refs.  That incredible run in game 3 Peja was just shooting and you saw what he could do.  Peja didn't care who did or did not hit him, he was just trying to shot.

Miller is not going to change what he does regarding Malone; if anything he will be more of a headache. That is his game and no one, including Shaq as you should well know, frightens Brad in the least. Miller absolutely loves playing the game rough. He craves the contact and the shoving and the floor burns. His goal is to see those elbows start to fly and that look of anger and retaliation coming his way.

Rude awakening? You mean status quo.

Miller is in for a rude awakening if he thinks Malone is going to handle Millers play the same way as KG.  Hope the Kings have a good dental plan, Miller is going to need it, that is if he's STILL not to afraid of Shaq to mix it up.

IMO the Kings will be a tougher series for the Lakers should they meet in the WCF.  The Lakers will destroy the Wolves.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 02:15:04 PM »
Miller is in for a rude awakening if he thinks Malone is going to handle Millers play the same way as KG.  Hope the Kings have a good dental plan, Miller is going to need it, that is if he's STILL not to afraid of Shaq to mix it up.

IMO the Kings will be a tougher series for the Lakers should they meet in the WCF.  The Lakers will destroy the Wolves.
Well, WOW, I have not much faith that the Kings would give the Lakers much trouble either the way they have played on offense, but they might be a bit of a matchup problem for the Lakers anyway.

Oh, I am sure that Miller will be involved in something if we get to the next round, but if you are banking on Brad being afraid of the contact, you have got to be kidding. Brad plays for the contact. He gets whacked around as much as any player I have seen and just comes back for more. If his elbow and shoulder are feeling better, and from his play the last several games that appears to be the case, he will mix it up with anyone and not be concerned about his teeth (have you seen them? The guy puts a chaw in his mouth as soon as the games end).

No, Brad is no Duncan or Garnett when it comes to contact. He definitely is in Malone's class in that regard.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 02:30:44 PM »
No, Brad is no Duncan or Garnett when it comes to contact. He definitely is in Malone's class in that regard.
From the games I've seen Miller has not gotten over the Shaq-Attack.

IMO the Lakers match-up way better against the Wolves than they do against the Kings.  

Vlade flops enough to bother Shaq.  Vlade can't play a lick of defense but his antics get into Shaqs head.  Then you have Miller that will bang with Shaq and is IMO more likely to draw a charge on Shaq.

Christie plays decent defense on Kobe and Doug has recently maximized his offensive skills.  In the last game against the Lakers he had something like 3 dunks against Mr. First Team All Defense Kobe Bryant.  I was very surprised by Mobley's play vs. Kobe and I think that's what in store vs. the Kings.  No more weak offense strong defense Bowen or strong offense weak defense Brown.  Kobe will be facing a well rounded player.

With Webber in his current sad state, the PF match-up is even and I'd actually give the edge to Malone.  It's amazing how far Webber has fallen.

Peja vs. George should be a runaway victory for the Kings but both these guys are doing squat in the playoffs.  This is the key to the series, if Peja holds to his current non-franchise player performances then the Lakers win this win easily.  If Peja get back to mid-season form then the Kings can extend the series.

Bibby vs. GP, this will present the same problems as Parker except that Bibby will settle for the jumper and the Lakers can live with that.  If the Lakers continue to break from the triangle then Bibby will be in big trouble vs. Payton.

The Lakers dont' have a bench anymore so theirs really no use comparing the two unless we're talking about miracle game winning shots.

The Wolves have NOTHING!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 03:14:24 PM »

You are dreaming, JoMal -- Webber was a great PF but in order to be a "complete" player, you have to do all those things when it counted -- something that CWebb never did.  TD is the best PF that I have ever seen play the game -- CWebb has never come close to him, IMO (of course, I'm biased -- I don't like CWebb and don't really respect his game since he has more of a tendency to disappear in the important games).  You can have CWebb, JoMal, oh wait, you do -- and you will have him for a long long time!   :D  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 03:59:25 PM »
IMO the Lakers match-up way better against the Wolves than they do against the Kings.  

Vlade flops enough to bother Shaq.  Vlade can't play a lick of defense but his antics get into Shaqs head.  Then you have Miller that will bang with Shaq and is IMO more likely to draw a charge on Shaq.

Christie plays decent defense on Kobe and Doug has recently maximized his offensive skills.  In the last game against the Lakers he had something like 3 dunks against Mr. First Team All Defense Kobe Bryant.  I was very surprised by Mobley's play vs. Kobe and I think that's what in store vs. the Kings.  No more weak offense strong defense Bowen or strong offense weak defense Brown.  Kobe will be facing a well rounded player.

With Webber in his current sad state, the PF match-up is even and I'd actually give the edge to Malone.  It's amazing how far Webber has fallen.

Peja vs. George should be a runaway victory for the Kings but both these guys are doing squat in the playoffs.  This is the key to the series, if Peja holds to his current non-franchise player performances then the Lakers win this win easily.  If Peja get back to mid-season form then the Kings can extend the series.

Bibby vs. GP, this will present the same problems as Parker except that Bibby will settle for the jumper and the Lakers can live with that.  If the Lakers continue to break from the triangle then Bibby will be in big trouble vs. Payton.

The Lakers dont' have a bench anymore so theirs really no use comparing the two unless we're talking about miracle game winning shots.

The Wolves have NOTHING!
WOW, there is little I can add to your analysis, except to say that once again the Kings are beat up and playing in the playoffs. If we can even survive to face the Lakers, we won't be a very healthy team. Not even counting Webber's condition, we probably will not have Bobby Jackson because of his stomach muscle tear, Miller has just recently gotten better regarding his elbow and shoulder, but with him it is hard to tell if he is just playing through his pain. Christie has that rather common basketball ailment, and very painful, plantar fasciitis in his left foot. If Peja is NOT playing physically hurt, then his mental game is injured.

Vlade DOES seem to get into Shaq's head a bit and for the life of me I cannot figure that one out. Miller is also a good mental matchup with the Big Aristotle. Webber will give the Lakers a problem in probably two games at the most and the rest will be average. That has been his pattern. Christie has been playing both ends of the court, as you said, which is one of the reasons, if not the major reason, the Kings have made it as far as they have in the playoffs. He elevated his game. Bibby has been mostly phenomenal. That is the major matchup problem for the Lakers if the Kings get to play them, no question.

As for the bench, you have a huge ally for neutralizing the effectiveness of the Kings second level players. Adelman. He doesn't play them very much after Peeler and Miller.

Our difficultly would be with Kobe, mostly, followed by Malone. We double Shaq and Karl kills teams with his mid-range jumper. Kobe is ice against the Kings. Shaq is always a load in the playoffs, so we have to concede him his points and hope to contain the rest of the team. But for whatever reason, the Kings give the Lakers a good battle most of the time, but unlike the Spurs, we haven't gotten passed them yet.

Maybe we will get another chance this year. If we do, just getting there would be a huge accomplishment for this Sacramento team

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2004, 04:06:01 PM »
You are dreaming, JoMal -- Webber was a great PF but in order to be a "complete" player, you have to do all those things when it counted -- something that CWebb never did.  TD is the best PF that I have ever seen play the game -- CWebb has never come close to him, IMO (of course, I'm biased -- I don't like CWebb and don't really respect his game since he has more of a tendency to disappear in the important games).  You can have CWebb, JoMal, oh wait, you do -- and you will have him for a long long time!   :D
Lots of great players never accomplished the ultimate, Randy. While Webber doesn't, exactly disappear in big games, he also has never won any while still putting up big numbers in these games. Of course Webber has come close to Duncan in playing ability. He was a starting power forward for the West a few years back and he started because he was having a fantastic year.

Randy, I don't mind you hating Webber, but why not just admit you hate the MAN for whatever reasons and not because he can't play any basketball, which your exaggerations of his abilities seem to indicate is how you feel. The Lakers wanted Webber a few years ago, and while he and Malone might be about equal now, Chris also could get better in a year or two and still be playing for some time after Malone retires.