Author Topic: Just to change the subject for a minute...  (Read 2096 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Just to change the subject for a minute...
« on: May 10, 2004, 11:12:19 AM »
There was another game played in Minneapolis over the weekend. You know, that other Western Conference second round series?

Turned out to be a heck of a game too. Mucho props to the much more poised Wolves to pull out an amazing victory down 10 points with just over 4 minutes left in the game. That level of desire is so hard to compete against. The Kings, who did a marvelous job themselves to get back into the game, then build that lead, seemed to forget that clock management could be to their benefit to help maintain the lead. Apparently this novelty never entered their minds and they played right into the crowd and the Wolves enthusiasm by jacking up ill-adviced shots that had no chance of going in, or them getting any foul calls either. Not in the last two minutes of a road game in the NBA playoffs. That ain't gonna happen, so why drive the lane with the expectations of getting a call?

But the Wolves were clutch, and they snatched a sure victory from the Kings that probably would have sealed the series for Sacramento. Their inconsistency the last several months still makes me extremely unsure the Kings should be the Western Conference representative IF they even win this series and get by the the Spurs or Lakers next round.  I could never image either the Lakers or Spurs squandering a ten point lead with four minutes left in the game, IN A MUST WIN ROAD GAME THAT WOULD SEAL THE SERIES!!!! But the Kings certainly could, and did. That is simply not championship material - that is loser material.

I credit the mentality of the Wolves players to pull together and regardless of the score, grab a must win. I have to discredit the Kings players for a very public display of weakness in the same setting, to allow another team to do that to you is disgraceful, especially when only two very makeable shots or free throws - and they had several - could have put this game out of reach.

If that was all we can expect from this team at the end of playoff games, why are they even bothering to compete in the first 44 minutes? As a King's fan, I was embarrassed.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 11:20:53 AM »
THANK YOU.  Now that you mention it, I need to mention one thing.

I HATE SAM CASSELL!

Hate the way he looks, hate his cocky attitude, and most of all, I HATE THE WAY HE SWINGS HIS ARMS BELOW HIS WAIST WHEN HE MAKES A BIG SHOT.

It looks like he's pretending to swing his "big balls" around, that's so damn annoying.
JN? Any rebuttal??  ANYBODY ELSE FEEL THIS WAY??
Paul

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 11:34:59 AM »
You know JoMal, you are correct, there was another playoff game this weekend, and props to JN and and the Wolves for showing remarkable poise and pulling out a win. Condolences to you JoMal for watching the Kings pull a huge choke job with the game well in hand at the end ot the 4th.

That having been said, what was Minnesota doing letting the Kings back in after holding a 10 point halftime lead on their home floor? How are the number 1 seed fighting for their playoff lives at the end of game 2, down 0-1, for the second straight time, against one of the worst defensive teams in recent memory, ON THEIR HOME FLOOR!?!?!?! If I were you JN, this win may give you a sigh of relief, but also raise several very serious question marks. For one, Sacramento blew this game, Minnesota did not win it, what were the Kings doing settling for outside jumpers (and missing)? If they had forced the action inside and went to the line even just twice, the Wolves are down 0-2 and looking like the ultimate tankers. Be thankful the Kings have Adelman for a coach and a Kings team that inexplicably fell in love with clanking outside jumpers down the stretch JN, or you guys would be done. No excuse for the Wolves to blow a lead, and a very well played first half, I might add, on their home floor and have to fight back with 4 minutes to go, if Sacramento doesn't blow it themselves, the Wolves lose. THAT was a choke job of monumental proportions.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 11:36:46 AM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 11:40:18 AM »
Of course we saw the other game JoMaL.....its just that we all happend to be home doing the Mother's day thing so Im sure alot of us were in front of the computer when normally we would be out running errands/having fun.  That is why you saw alot of posts over the weekend.

The Minn/Sac game was more of a nail bitter then the Lakers/Spurs game was yesterday.  Excellent game by both teams.  KG took over this game.    Any spot he wanted to get to he was getting there and if adjustments are not made he is going to continue to burn the Kings front court.  Much easier said then done because not only do you have to worry about KG but you have to worry about Sam going for 40 again on you.  I didn't think they were going to be able to hold him down like they did in game 1.

I really did think Spree was going to be a huge factor in this series and so far he's fell a bit short in my eyes.  He isnt playing HORRIBLE but he isnt really slicing and dicing enough IMO.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 11:41:00 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 12:00:06 PM »
THANK YOU.  Now that you mention it, I need to mention one thing.

I HATE SAM CASSELL!

Hate the way he looks, hate his cocky attitude, and most of all, I HATE THE WAY HE SWINGS HIS ARMS BELOW HIS WAIST WHEN HE MAKES A BIG SHOT.

It looks like he's pretending to swing his "big balls" around, that's so damn annoying.
JN? Any rebuttal??  ANYBODY ELSE FEEL THIS WAY??
Cassell's dance is just as stupid as Bibby's -- maybe they need to get a room!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 12:06:35 PM »
THANK YOU.  Now that you mention it, I need to mention one thing.

I HATE SAM CASSELL!

JN? Any rebuttal??  ANYBODY ELSE FEEL THIS WAY??
At least we know Bibby isnt trying to call his family from the milky way with his dance.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 12:09:01 PM »
THANK YOU.  Now that you mention it, I need to mention one thing.

I HATE SAM CASSELL!

JN? Any rebuttal??  ANYBODY ELSE FEEL THIS WAY??
At least we know Bibby isnt trying to call his family from the milky way with his dance.
do aliens even have "big balls"???? :ph34r:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 12:28:56 PM »
Your an illegal, YOU TELL ME.
Paul

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 12:29:44 PM »
Your an illegal, YOU TELL ME.
hey if not for me your mom would still be in mexico to pendejo!
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jn

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 12:54:36 PM »
Hard to figure this series.  So far the most consistent player has been.... Trenton Hassell?

My biggest concern has been the number of Wolves turnovers that have led to layups for the Kings.  The Wolve's D has been good enough in half court sets but the lack of transition buckets for us and all the easy ones the Kings are getting has me frustrated.  

We shouldn't be asking what the Kings and/or Wolves are doing settling for jumpers at this point because

A. Both teams have a lot of guys who make ther living shooting jumpers

B. The defense has been solid.  If the Kings want to take it to the rack they need to get the ball to whover is being guarded by Cassell.  Hassell has been incredible on D and Spree and even Hoiberg stepped up when they needed to on Sat.

Never thought I'd be saying this but the Kings have done a great job doubling and tripling KG.  Not only have they timed the double well but they've played the passing angles well plus they have sagged without getting hit with many illegal D calls.  They are doing a great job of forcing the ball in to the hands of guys like Hassll, Trent, Kandi, and Madsen.  In addition, with the exception of Hassell the have been getting the ball late in the clock in spots where they are uncomfortable.  

jn

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 01:08:27 PM »
Oh and as for Sam, I guees I'll take the SackDance and the wins versus watching  Terrell Brandon, Chauncey or Hudson losing with dignity.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 01:11:18 PM »
Defensively, the Kings are doing much more then they did during the regular season. That kept them in this game until they could forge ahead. But the collapse at the 4 minute mark was incredible.

And Dan, the Kings DID get to the line twice in the last four minutes; unfortunately one of the shooters was "50 %" Webber, who hit one of two, naturally, and the other was  :(  Doug Christie, who had gotten most of that ten point lead for the Kings earlier. He clanked both of his. But this was a team collapse. The Wolves clearly picked up the pace and went to town on the timid King's defense. I was in shock at how quickly the Wolves shut down the Kings and took it to them.

As for Cassell, I have to close my eyes any time he is called for a foul or hits a big shot. It's not that watching any basketball player complaining to the refs or celebrating a big shot is so wrong, as it is so common. But Sam is the butt-ugliest creature I have ever seen who has the level of self-awareness where his antics are so big a part of his game that he needs to showcase them. He should run from every camera angle possible for the sake of young children.

I hate Bibby's dance, but Cassell is flat out hideous.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Guest_Randy

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2004, 01:33:10 PM »
Defensively, the Kings are doing much more then they did during the regular season. That kept them in this game until they could forge ahead. But the collapse at the 4 minute mark was incredible.

And Dan, the Kings DID get to the line twice in the last four minutes; unfortunately one of the shooters was "50 %" Webber, who hit one of two, naturally, and the other was  :(  Doug Christie, who had gotten most of that ten point lead for the Kings earlier. He clanked both of his. But this was a team collapse. The Wolves clearly picked up the pace and went to town on the timid King's defense. I was in shock at how quickly the Wolves shut down the Kings and took it to them.

As for Cassell, I have to close my eyes any time he is called for a foul or hits a big shot. It's not that watching any basketball player complaining to the refs or celebrating a big shot is so wrong, as it is so common. But Sam is the butt-ugliest creature I have ever seen who has the level of self-awareness where his antics are so big a part of his game that he needs to showcase them. He should run from every camera angle possible for the sake of young children.

I hate Bibby's dance, but Cassell is flat out hideous.
I do have to say that I was AMAZED to see the Kings struggle at the line (again).  How can a team who shoots so phenomenal during the game shoot poorly from the line?  Christie shot better from the arch than he did from the FT line.  

Of course, I'm also watching every minute of the worst freethrow contest in the history of the playoffs.  For ONCE, the Lakers are a better ft shooting team than their opponent (boy, that's got to be a degrading comment).

I know why LA shoots so poorly from the line -- it's Shaq -- but why does SA and SacTown shoot so poorly from the line?  Maybe TD can get them to move the ft line over to the side so he can bank it?  I find it quite amazing.

It was a great game -- I enjoyed it.  

Players that I like:  KG, Peja

Players that I can't stand:  CWebb, Wally World (although he is hurt now), Cassell,  and then whiny coach Adelmann.  

It was great to watch a game that you rooted for some of both sides and then rooted against some of both sides.  It was a great game.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2004, 03:06:36 PM »
Cassell's little celebration dance reminds me of some chimpanzee trying to ward off enemies.  Just add a soundtrack and with eyes closed you would think you were in the Congo listening to the apes......
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues