Author Topic: Can the Spurs make the playoffs?  (Read 6593 times)

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: Can the Spurs make the playoffs?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 04:23:13 PM »
False.  The Rockets have been on the rise since they lost loser coach Jeff Van Gunty and got Real coach with Championship experience Rick Adleman.  And Luis Scoldawg.
Ditto Hornets.

Hmmm.  I wasn't aware of the Finals pedigree of Jeff Bower.  Or that Van Gundy's championship experience with New York didn't count.  Learn something new every day, I guess.

Then again, some people *NEVER* learn.
Something about learning?

OK City win 50 games next year?
Joe Vancil
No.

OKC isn't even a playoff team next year.  Maybe not for several.

I still think this is a team in danger of collapsing.

I was wrong about Oklahoma City being a playoff team this year.  I figured LA, Dallas, San An, Utah, Portland, Phoenix, New Orleans, and Denver were better at the start of the season.  As it stands right now, Portland and New Orleans are behind them, and San An is tied (while holding the tie-break, I believe).  Portland and NO have not done as well as I thought, and OKC has done better than I thought.

I also called David Robinson "a waste of a perfectly good first round draft pick."  I'm not infallible, nor do I claim to be.  Then again, I don't leave messages that can be easily (mis?)interpreted to read that Jeff Van Gundy doesn't have playoff pedigree, whereas Jeff Bower *DOES*.  And I don't have to go to threads from October '09 to try to find incorrect statements by the person I'm trying to discredit.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 07:04:39 PM »

Here's a thought to sip to:
My assertion was that OKCity would have a better record then the Spurs and OKC would also make the playoffs.
I put it in writing when i voted on the West Conf playoff teams.  (zig thread).
I'm most likely going to be wrong about the Spurs making the playoffs.
But i put my money where my mouth is as to who would have the better record.

you mean this thread: http://forums.phillyarena.com/index.php?topic=6017.0

please post your exact quote.  in fact I will post in it to bring back to the front for everyone to read again.  looking at our projections it seems the Suns were shortchanged by Joe and myself.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 07:13:03 PM »
^^ yeah.  I picked OKC in and Spurs out.
I believe i am the only one to pick the Spurs, make that Popovich out.

Not sure who besides me picked OKC in.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 12:13:35 AM »
False.  The Rockets have been on the rise since they lost loser coach Jeff Van Gunty and got Real coach with Championship experience Rick Adleman.  And Luis Scoldawg.
Ditto Hornets.

Hmmm.  I wasn't aware of the Finals pedigree of Jeff Bower.  Or that Van Gundy's championship experience with New York didn't count.  Learn something new every day, I guess.

Then again, some people *NEVER* learn.
Something about learning?

OK City win 50 games next year?
Joe Vancil
No.

OKC isn't even a playoff team next year.  Maybe not for several.

I still think this is a team in danger of collapsing.

I was wrong about Oklahoma City being a playoff team this year.  I figured LA, Dallas, San An, Utah, Portland, Phoenix, New Orleans, and Denver were better at the start of the season.  As it stands right now, Portland and New Orleans are behind them, and San An is tied (while holding the tie-break, I believe).  Portland and NO have not done as well as I thought, and OKC has done better than I thought.

I also called David Robinson "a waste of a perfectly good first round draft pick."  I'm not infallible, nor do I claim to be.  Then again, I don't leave messages that can be easily (mis?)interpreted to read that Jeff Van Gundy doesn't have playoff pedigree, whereas Jeff Bower *DOES*.  And I don't have to go to threads from October '09 to try to find incorrect statements by the person I'm trying to discredit.
The 2009 thread was asking the question of whether OKC would make the playoffs in 2010.  Its now 2010.  It's approaching playoff time.  It's a timely topic. Lower your defense mechanisms.  I can assure you no one thought you were infallible.

Jeff Van Gundy with "playoff pedigree".   :D :D  Whatever.  Stacked Houston roster and all he did was fail.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 12:56:44 AM »
Ditto Hornets.

Hmmm.  I wasn't aware of the Finals pedigree of Jeff Bower.  
::)
The similarity point for New Orl as to the Rockets was "on the rise".
Which New OrL certainly was before Paul blew out.

New Orleans 2008 - 56-22, 2nd seed
New Orleans 2009 - 49-33, 7th seed
New Orleans 2010 - 25-21 at the time Paul went out....

Please refresh me with what it is that qualifies a team as "on the rise"?  If it means the coach is losing the support of the players, the team's record is getting worse as years go by, and the team is falling further out of the playoff race, then by all means, New Orleans is "on the rise."
Here is your quote on New Orl:
And I'll still take the top 6 plus the Hornets and the Thunder.

The Hornets aren't nearly as bad off as people seem to think.  This team is going to get stronger and stronger as they get more and more familiar with the changed personnel and the changed coaching.  It's not a team in free-fall any more.
So which is your view of New Orl?  :D

My point about them being "on the rise" is since their beginning in 2005 or whenever it was.  Got better every year except for the step back in 2009.
2005?06 38 44    .463       
2006?07 39 43    .476       
2007?08 56 26    .683    
2008?09 49 33    .598     Chandler and Stojakovic injured.   
2009?10 25-21

2010 i think the 25-21 record is deceiving as New Orl started out 3-8.  That's a 22-13 rebound before Paul went down.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:26:26 AM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 10:13:06 AM »
Ditto Hornets.

Hmmm.  I wasn't aware of the Finals pedigree of Jeff Bower.  
::)
The similarity point for New Orl as to the Rockets was "on the rise".
Which New OrL certainly was before Paul blew out.

New Orleans 2008 - 56-22, 2nd seed
New Orleans 2009 - 49-33, 7th seed
New Orleans 2010 - 25-21 at the time Paul went out....

Please refresh me with what it is that qualifies a team as "on the rise"?  If it means the coach is losing the support of the players, the team's record is getting worse as years go by, and the team is falling further out of the playoff race, then by all means, New Orleans is "on the rise."
Here is your quote on New Orl:
And I'll still take the top 6 plus the Hornets and the Thunder.

The Hornets aren't nearly as bad off as people seem to think.  This team is going to get stronger and stronger as they get more and more familiar with the changed personnel and the changed coaching.  It's not a team in free-fall any more.
So which is your view of New Orl?  :D

My point about them being "on the rise" is since their beginning in 2005 or whenever it was.  Got better every year except for the step back in 2009.
2005?06 38 44    .463       
2006?07 39 43    .476       
2007?08 56 26    .683    
2008?09 49 33    .598     Chandler and Stojakovic injured.   
2009?10 25-21

2010 i think the 25-21 record is deceiving as New Orl started out 3-8.  That's a 22-13 rebound before Paul went down.

*Sigh*

Reality, saying you think a team will improve when they learn the system is not contradicting what Joe originally said.    The phrase 'On The Rise' and 'improving' are not always interchangeable.  A team can improve yet not be considered a squad 'on the rise' in the conference.  The Sacramento Kings look to be improving over what they were just a few seasons ago but no one would consider them 'on the rise'

On a side note, why do the Hornets get a pass for two role players being injured but you can't even give your own team the Spurs any pass even though they've fought off injuries all year?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:17:21 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 10:17:18 PM »
Man i hope the Spurs stay at #8 and face the Flamers in Round 1.
SuperManu can u please save your 2005 Finals Co-MVP preformances for the Lakers in Round 1?  Like you did tonight vs Orlando.
43/6/5

westkoast, did you notice the Spurs won the 3rd qtr tonight by 10?  Because i know you do not notice the Spurs have been owned in the 3rd qtr of virtually every game this year vs a good team.  Vs a lot of lesser teams also.  What could be a difference maker?  Who got ejected before halftime?  ;) :D

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 11:06:43 AM »
Man i hope the Spurs stay at #8 and face the Flamers in Round 1.
SuperManu can u please save your 2005 Finals Co-MVP preformances for the Lakers in Round 1?  Like you did tonight vs Orlando.
43/6/5

westkoast, did you notice the Spurs won the 3rd qtr tonight by 10?  Because i know you do not notice the Spurs have been owned in the 3rd qtr of virtually every game this year vs a good team.  Vs a lot of lesser teams also.  What could be a difference maker?  Who got ejected before halftime?  ;) :D

Maybe someday, one can hope, you will understand that there are so many variables in a basketball game it is rarely ONE thing that makes or breaks a game unless it is of course a last second shot at the buzzer.

Might I add that teams tend to play harder when their coaches get ejected and have for 30+ years now?  Also, a well disciplined team doesn't all the sudden steer to go off road, they stick with the game plan.  They didn't completely switch up their game plan when he left so what you are saying really is moot at this point.  What's sad is your thoughts barely scratch the surface.  Try thinking a little harder and digging a little deeper.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com