Author Topic: Ref Bill Kennedy wasted?  (Read 1404 times)

jn

Ref Bill Kennedy wasted?
« on: April 26, 2004, 01:52:22 PM »
Good God what was wrong with this guy on the Denver/Wolves game? He had to be bailed out be the head ref repeatedly.  

Most notably he called over and back on Vo Lenard after Spree hit the ball into the back court and made no call when Chris Anderson wiped out Wally on a dunk attempt.  It's almost an automatic foul in that cass although it appeared Andersen really just grazed Wally's head.  The real problem was he hit the ball while it was in the cylinder.   It couldn't have possibly been more obviously a goaltend.  Kennedy is apparently a NASCAR fan.  He was so excited by Wally's crash he forgot what was important.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Ref Bill Kennedy wasted?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 03:35:07 PM »
Garnett pointed at him after Anderson's play and told him it was his call to make, not the ref at mid-court. I also saw, I think it was White, shove Garnett away from the Denver bench while Garnett was on the court. That should have resulted in a technical.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Ref Bill Kennedy wasted?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 03:38:54 PM »
Garnett pointed at him after Anderson's play and told him it was his call to make, not the ref at mid-court. I also saw, I think it was White, shove Garnett away from the Denver bench while Garnett was on the court. That should have resulted in a technical.
That was Andrea Miller, and he did get called for a Tech.

Garnett should have got a tech for faking an elbow the Millers face a couple of plays earlier.

The call was correct.  Two FT's NO flagrant.  Wally just lost his grip, the swipe by Anderson was clean, if Wally still had his hands on the ball above the rim that should not be called goal tending.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jn

Ref Bill Kennedy wasted?
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 04:02:32 PM »
I definitely agree it was not a flagrant. Andersen was going for the ball.  However it clearly looked like he knocked it out of Wally's hands and into the cylinder.

What difference does the offensive player having his hand on the ball in the cylinder make?  I'm unfamiliar with that part of the rule.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Ref Bill Kennedy wasted?
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 04:11:02 PM »
I definitely agree it was not a flagrant. Andersen was going for the ball.  However it clearly looked like he knocked it out of Wally's hands and into the cylinder.

What difference does the offensive player having his hand on the ball in the cylinder make?  I'm unfamiliar with that part of the rule.
If blocking a dunk is goal tending then dunking the ball would be as well.

My point is I didn't agree with whomever said it was goal tending, Wally still had his hands on the ball.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Ref Bill Kennedy wasted?
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 04:25:13 PM »
Miller, right, but I never saw the technical called on him at all. I must have missed it. I just remember them wondering if it would be called, but no one went to the line, did they?

As for Anderson's play, it could be argued he got all ball and it wasn't even a foul, I suppose. Certainly not goal tending, and certainly not flagrant. It looked like a clean play, but when the player lands like that it almost always results in foul shots.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."