Author Topic: Shouldn't the ROY award have been shared?  (Read 4749 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Shouldn't the ROY award have been shared?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2004, 09:19:47 AM »
In fact the Nuggets slid into the eighth spot as much because Utah & Portland had tougher season ending schedules than the Nuggets than anything that Anthony did.

Did they not play the exact same teams over an 82 game schedule?
But did they play them in the exact same order?

Portland faced SA & LA in their last 2 games.  Much different than playing those teams in December or January than playing them in the heat of a race for playoff position.

Playing the same teams over a 5 1/2 month period does not necessarily equate out fairly.  Playing the Spurs in November with Parker & Duncan out (ask Memphis) is very different from facing the Spurs in April.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2004, 11:26:03 AM »
there are circumstances throughout the season where teams will have easier games and harder games.  In my opinion, things balance out, particularly teams in the same conference.

Had Portland or Utah played better and taken care of some cupcakes earlier in the year, their end of year schedule wouldn't have been an issue.  IMO it doesn't de-legitimize the Nuggets making it.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2004, 11:27:54 AM »
there are circumstances throughout the season where teams will have easier games and harder games.  In my opinion, things balance out, particularly teams in the same conference.

Had Portland or Utah played better and taken care of some cupcakes earlier in the year, their end of year schedule wouldn't have been an issue.  IMO it doesn't de-legitimize the Nuggets making it.
dbods, don't try to reason with him, he doesn't even believe half the things that he posts to me.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2004, 12:27:31 PM »
And Cleveland & Miami played the same 82 game schedule.  So Wade led his team to a #4 seed.  James' team gets ping pong balls.  

Last year Amare won over Yao based on his team making the playoffs.  This year the rules change?

I'll go back to my original statement.....IMO the best rookie was in Miami.
Um...Thats because they were both at the bottom of the race and happend to beat the other out for that spot.  Big difference.  Also James' contribution to his team is alot different than Yao's last year.  James is the best player on his team.  Yao was the 3rd best player on his team last year.  Same with Amare.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2004, 12:34:39 PM »
Well, since the ROY voting is over and the final order was James (1), Anthony (2), and Wade (3), with only the first two getting consideration with first place votes, the media has decided.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 12:35:01 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2004, 12:35:57 PM »
Well, since the ROY voting is over and the final order was James (1), Anthony (2), and Wade (3), with only the first two getting consideration with first place votes, the media has decided.
The media had decided in October.  The release of the results was just a formality.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2004, 01:40:48 PM »
The media had decided in October. The release of the results was just a formality

But as this thread so eloquently points out, still debatable.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2004, 02:22:05 PM »
I thought people inside the league had a say so on the ROY honors?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2004, 02:36:24 PM »
I thought people inside the league had a say so on the ROY honors?
Nope.  Executive of the Year is voted on by the GMs.  ROY, COY, DPOY, MVP & Most Improved are all voted by the media.
-Moody Blues