Author Topic: OT Holiday Gift Guide  (Read 5978 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT Holiday Gift Guide
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 01:24:31 PM »
We use to do those X-Mas Angels at my previous job.  You know bring gifts the kids ask for and wrap them for Salvation Army to pick up.  That is not quite as cool as what you do.

No, it's cooler, because it's totally anonymous. That's serious charity, when almost no one but the giver knows who is giving.

I dunno.  I think what you do is a nicer gesture.  You are taking more time out of your life to drop the gifts off. bring a smile to the family, and wish them a Merry Christmas in person.  Just my opinion. 
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 01:28:34 PM »
Again, if you go on the 'thought that counts' type of life style - neither is more or less cool because it's the same thought - bringing joy to those who might not have it otherwise.

My only issue in the past has been why is this a concept that has to be limited to just the christmas time?  There are families who go without every day of every month of every year but they are only remembered by man around christmas time so it always struck me as more about the person GIVING the gift and feeling better about themselves as much as the people receiving the gift, almost like the 'guilt' of the season...but i'm pretty cynical and jaded

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 02:02:10 PM »
Again, if you go on the 'thought that counts' type of life style - neither is more or less cool because it's the same thought - bringing joy to those who might not have it otherwise.

My only issue in the past has been why is this a concept that has to be limited to just the christmas time?  There are families who go without every day of every month of every year but they are only remembered by man around christmas time so it always struck me as more about the person GIVING the gift and feeling better about themselves as much as the people receiving the gift, almost like the 'guilt' of the season...but i'm pretty cynical and jaded

I think that has more to do with a lot of people being unable to do it year round.  If I was able to give gifts to needy families every month I would.  I cannot.

Plus knowing you will get a bonus (or at least some of us) and the spirit of Christmas really motivate people to get out there.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 02:10:36 PM »
I think that has more to do with a lot of people being unable to do it year round.  If I was able to give gifts to needy families every month I would.  I cannot.

Doesn't have to be gifts, and doesn't have to be lots, these folks need food and clothes too - how often aside from thanksgiving do those same people donate to food banks?

I don't get cash bonuses myself - and i help out when i can - but i always think it's slightly silly that the 'christmas spirit' makes people all  nice and givey when there's no reason they can't be the rest of the year - it just always reminds me of the guilt i feel when friends talk about having to eat government cheese growing up or wearing hand me down clothes

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 02:31:45 PM »

Doesn't have to be gifts, and doesn't have to be lots, these folks need food and clothes too - how often aside from thanksgiving do those same people donate to food banks?

I don't get cash bonuses myself - and i help out when i can - but i always think it's slightly silly that the 'christmas spirit' makes people all  nice and givey when there's no reason they can't be the rest of the year - it just always reminds me of the guilt i feel when friends talk about having to eat government cheese growing up or wearing hand me down clothes

Well now I feel like crap.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

jemagee

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 02:34:02 PM »
Ted - I do hope your kidding - not my intent to make you feel like crap for doing a good thing but just expressing a thought i've had for a while - is your 'charity' limited only to the christmas holidays or is it soething you at least try to do year round and christmastime is just 'bigger'?

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 02:58:42 PM »

Well now I feel like crap.

Shame on you Ted!!!

;)
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 03:29:59 PM »
Ted - I do hope your kidding - not my intent to make you feel like crap for doing a good thing but just expressing a thought i've had for a while - is your 'charity' limited only to the christmas holidays or is it soething you at least try to do year round and christmastime is just 'bigger'?

Hey shyte head, j/k of course, I give to charity EVERY single month...it's called TAXES.  Where do you think the 1st and 15th crowd get their "bling bling chedder" from?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2008, 11:32:15 AM »
So my sister has chosen a career path (in my family we do it late, i still haven't figured out mine yet) and she's going to librarian school - and she also wanted a pedometer

So far i've gotten her

Pedometer
The Music Man on DVD
Black Mask on DVD

She has really odd literary tastes (majored in comp lit and brandeis and has hate in her hear for the author of the unberable lightness of being, me i never would consider reading the book and didn't know anyone has until she put it up on her web site) - or i'd get her a book too