Author Topic: What we are learning about Ed and the teams direction  (Read 13799 times)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What we are learning about Ed and the teams direction
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2008, 05:00:29 PM »
Truthfully, I don't think he cares about the public opinion.  King stayed here forever despite public perception, and I don't think Stefanski will do anything that he thinks he'll regret down the road.

The difference here is that Ed was the one talking the free agency period up. If he would have kept his lips shut and didn't talk about throwing $11MIL at someone... well, I think that would be alright. The people on this board knows what's up but I'm talking more about the casual fan who doesn't follow this team. They are the same people that call WIP and ask about us trading Willie and a pick for Kobe but they are the same people that yell and scream when a team doesn't seem to be doing it's job.

Point being: I think public opinion could snowball on him is all. I just don't think we'll get to that point.

I totally agree that it could and will if he doesn't bring in a big name.  I just don't think he'll care.  Winning solves all problems.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2008, 05:02:36 PM »

I totally agree that it could and will if he doesn't bring in a big name.  I just don't think he'll care.  Winning solves all problems.

Unfortunately, I can see the Sixers taking a small step back from their 2nd half success.  Especially if they move Miller.

To be honest, The Sixers are so below the radar on the Philly sports scene, that I don't expect any kind of big lashback.  Plus philly fans are used to FA dissapointment.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2008, 05:36:22 PM »
I'm not against taking a step back if I feel as though they are building toward something. I have no interest in being a 6th or 7th seed every year and so if we moved Miller but got young stud players... I would be ok with that.

jemagee

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2008, 05:38:38 PM »
There's two ways to do things in philadelphia...care about the fan reaction (phillies) or not care about the fan reaction so much (eagles)....one of those franchises has success...one of them not so much :)

And I don't believe the trade of KK is a disappintment if the sixers dont' sign anyone this summer, because that same cap room will be available during the season and next summer (cause korver is still under contract after next season isn't he) plus we have a second first round pick to use...

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2008, 10:16:27 PM »
Stefanski really talked primarily about making a trade this summer, not pure free agency.  There may be a plan for a S&T with Smith, if not, this may be their pipe dream and they are giving it a shot.  The back-up plan is either a S&T for someone like Biedrins (if GS contracts itself into a corner) or one of the expiring contract guys like Marion, Sheed or Odom.  Last resort is probably a trade for Wilcox or CV.  Stefanski will do something, it just might not be a long term move just yet. 

The expiring contracts set us up for the deadline and/or next summer while giving the team a boost and giving Speights some time to grow.  A year from now we could easily be annointing Speights our PF for the next decade, like we have Thad at the SF spot, and wondering what Stefanski will do to improve us at C and PG.

If someone makes a grab at Iggy, we need to have a plan and stick to it.    At worst we have to match a max 5 year deal.  Front loading it won't hurt us, although we probably have a price we won't pay to keep him.  if he goes we assess the remaining FA landscape and act accordingly.  If someone wants to drastically overpay Lou, try and work out a S&T or let him go.  Don't overpay for a tweener bench guy, even a good one.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2008, 10:54:12 PM »
If we don't get Smith, then I really think that priority 1 is trying to solidify our PG position by looking into Hinrich...and to do that we have to move Miller - by any means necessary.

I don't necessarily mind the idea of getting 'Sheed for a year, but I think I would rather nail down an important spot that we need to address by next summer (PG), as opposed to doing a one-year rental of 'Sheed and then potentially having two positions to deal with next summer (unless Speights is ready to take over).