Author Topic: Latest from sf1976: Iggy on the block  (Read 21344 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Latest from sf1976: Iggy on the block
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2008, 09:59:04 PM »
Would Billups/Iguodala/Prince/Brand/Sam with a bench of Lou/WG/Speights/Smith be enough to have legit shot at the finals over the next 3 years?  If so then it has to be a consideration.  If not, I'd rather keep building with Thad even though the team would not be as good in the short term.

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2008, 10:04:14 PM »
Would Billups/Iguodala/Prince/Brand/Sam with a bench of Lou/WG/Speights/Smith be enough to have legit shot at the finals over the next 3 years?  If so then it has to be a consideration.  If not, I'd rather keep building with Thad even though the team would not be as good in the short term.

I think we would be a top 3 or 4 team and a legit contender. In addition, over the next year with a lineup like that, I'm sure you could use the midlevel and add two good vets to work in the rotation.

I like Thad's potential, but I think that lineup could have a legit shot a the title. Nothings guaranteed, but that is a lineup worth taking the risk, in my opinion.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2008, 10:16:27 PM »
I have no doubt that Billups and Prince surrounding Iguodala and Brand are a better balance than Miller and Thad (at this stage of his career).  I think you could have 4 15 ppg scorers on that squad.  I think we'd have enough shooting to space the floor for Iguodala's drives, and to keep guys honest from doubling down on Brand.  I actually think we'd have a very, very good half court team all of a sudden, and an absolutely studly defensive team.  Billups, Iguodala and Prince on the perimeter, with that length and ability to force turnovers, combined with the shotblocking of Brand and Dalembert, could be a top 3 defensive team in the league.

I have questions whether we'd be in league with SA and Boston, or a step below, and that's why I'm not 100% sure I'd do the deal.  But I have no doubt we'd be much closer to a championship than we are now.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2008, 10:55:50 PM »

I have questions whether we'd be in league with SA and Boston, or a step below, and that's why I'm not 100% sure I'd do the deal.  But I have no doubt we'd be much closer to a championship than we are now.

that's exactly where I am.  If you could pull of a deal like that it has to be considered. If it makes the Sixers legit title contenders for three years, while only giving up one of their good young players it has to be considered.  If it still leaves the team in the second echelon then they should pass.

One potential salary issue- Prince has a good contract, but Billups is signed until he is nearly 36.  How many years do you see him as a top flight PG?  I guess Lou can step in as Billups gets older, but that's a lot of years to pay an older PG if his defense starts to slip- and it is Billups defense as much as his shooting that makes him so valuable.  Some guys defend well in their mid 30's (Bowen) but Billups has to chase around the quickest players in the league.  At least a CP3 is in the west.  I don't see Calderon, Miller, Nelson, Bibby or Rondo torching Billups anytime soon and Billups should be able to use his size effectively against Rose.

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2008, 08:36:12 AM »

Our starters would be 24, 27, 28, 29, and 32. While Boston's big 3 would be 31, 32, and 33. While they would still be favored against us, the Hawks and Cavs took them to 7 games when Boston was a year younger, so I would take a shot at winning the conference.

And San Antonio would likely be favored against us; however, they only took one game from the Lakers so I think we would have a realistic chance of beating Lakers, Spurs, or NO.

As long as we are a top 3 or 4 team and playing our best ball come post-season, I would take the shot. There is no real juggernaut like the Lakers of the 00-02. I would take the risk if Thad is the best piece we give up. I agree that you don't give up a top prospect without a legit shot to go all the way, but I think we would have a legit shot looking at the lack of a true league powerhouse.

Take a shot now before Dwight, Lebron, Paul, and the Blazers get REAL good.