Author Topic: Ron Artest, Eltie, FAs  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Ron Artest, Eltie, FAs
« on: June 18, 2008, 12:43:06 PM »
Does Ron Artest hold the keys to a teams 2009 Championship chances?  I'd love to get him on the Spurs, with contract behavior and medication taking provisios (altho i would allow him to go upside Popavichs head).  Said to have Kobelove tho, will the Lakers be gifted yet again?

Jomal i know Artest PR commented he is 99% staying in Sactown, and more power to you if he does.  However i dismiss that as agentspeak.

Eltie Brand.  Salary dictates it needs to be a team with cap room.  Rumblings that Philly is a fit and he would take it IF Miama cannot pursue him.  (Hinges on Marion opting out).

Does Eltie vault either team to contender status?

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Ron Artest, Eltie, FAs
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 01:13:51 PM »
About a month ago, Artest was telling his radio audience (he has been guest-hosting on a local sports radio station lately) that he was not planning to opt out of his contract and will be returning to SacTown for 2008/09.

Now, not so sure.

There have been rumblings that his home town of New York (Knicks) plans on trying to land him. Only problem is whether he wants to go for less money then he currently is expected to get next year by staying is Sacramento, or take their mid-level exception salary, which is all they can offer him as a free agent. A sign-and-trade is a possibility only if the Knicks part with David Lee, which they did not before when Artest was being offered as trade bait to NY last summer. Petrie has refused any trade offer for Artest unless he gets what he feels is fair trade value back. That is why Ron never went to Denver. The Nuggets would not include Linas Kleiza in the deal - so Petrie said no. Geoff has also indicated he wants a #1 pick in any deal.

BTW, none of this is coming from the King's front office - Petrie just does not talk about trades before they actually happen. The other teams, however, do mention why deals never happened. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 01:21:26 PM »
Whoa,
NY would offer, or rather Petrie would only accept Lee and a #1?
That would be a fair trade to me.  I would think it's as good as it gets.

RonRon offered the lights of hometown NYC?  I think he would pounce.

However, Artest is an UFA, right?

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 01:34:09 PM »
Whoa,
NY would offer, or rather Petrie would only accept Lee and a #1?
That would be a fair trade to me.  I would think it's as good as it gets.

RonRon offered the lights of hometown NYC?  I think he would pounce.

However, Artest is an UFA, right?

Ron has a player option for next year, the salary being $8,450,000.

If he walks after July 1, he is free to negotiate with anyone, but he apparently saw the writing on the wall a while back when he found out only two or three teams want to talk to him and those all cannot offer him more then exception money. Petrie might be interested in an extension contract, but so far that has not happened.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."