Author Topic: OT: Personal story  (Read 4286 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
OT: Personal story
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2004, 12:10:58 PM »
But dammit, if she dosen't offer AT LEAST $7.50 an hour, I'm turning the damn job down! :angry:
Damn dude....you want millionaire's wages.  I'd be happy with raise to $7.50 a DAY!
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2004, 01:00:35 PM »
I totally agree about the handshake, no matter what you have to do, crawl over the table, round the table, you shake the hand of everyone in the room, if the janitor is in there emptying the trash, you shake his hand and tell him you're glad to meet him. JoMal was right, she positioned herself that way for a reason, she challenged you for a reason. Personally I think you passed the test or they would never have given a second interview.
Dan

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2004, 01:55:16 PM »
Manuel and Pedro worked together and both were laid off, so they went to
the unemployment office. When asked his occupation, Manuel answered,
"Panty stitcher. I sew da elastic onto ladies' cotton panties." The
clerk looked up Panty Stitcher. Finding it classified as "unskilled"
labor, she gave him $300 a week unemployment pay. Pedro was asked his
occupation. "Diesel fitter." he replied.  Since diesel fitter was a
skilled job, the clerk gave Pedro $600 a week. When Manuel found out he
was furious. He stormed back into the office to find out why his friend
and coworker was collecting double his pay. The clerk explained, "Panty
stitchers are unskilled and diesel fitters are skilled labor."  "What
skill?" yelled Manuel. "I sew da elastic on da panties, Pedro  puts  dem
over his head and says: 'Yeah, diesel fitter.'

Paul

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2004, 09:55:24 PM »
Adopting the position that the HR person is a "manhater" or "b****" or lesbian is not going to help your cause. By not shaking her hand when you shook the others' hands is a snub (a sign of disrespect), even if you didn't intend it to be. The fact that she didn't just toss your resume and gave you some feedback and a second chance to interview is a HUGE plus (very few employers would do that). Be gracious. Follow up your phone call with her with a personal note saying you appreciated the feedback she had to offer and that you would welcome a second chance to meet with her and explain why you are the best qualified candidate for the position. Be positive.

BTW, multiple interviews for a job (even ones that aren't high level) are very common nowadays. It's definitely an employers' market, and they can afford to be very selective.  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2004, 10:19:06 AM »
To give this story some closure, the company called and offered me the position last night. Their are some big positives and negatives with the position, the company is literally WALKING DISTANCE from my house, and I'll be working with my wife, who has been their a number of years.

Kinda funny actually, went to a wake last night, and the HR person WAS THERE at the wake. (It was the wife of of the VP's, she was struck down with cancer.) Anyway, made EVERY EFFORT to go and shake her hand, and everytime I approached her, she would turn her back and start talking to some people that she knew. She did this multiple times, but I finally cornered her and SHOOK HER FREAKIN HAND!

The BIG thing that really bothers me is that its true, she had no say so when it came to me getting hired for the position. The story, it turns out, was that the VP WANTED ME for the job, but she had issues with me so she pushed it. He said "make it happen" in a sense, so she was required to offer me the job. But the BEYATCH LOW BALLED ME, and was unable to go up on my salary requirements. It's still going to be more than I'm making now, but I really felt like I didn't have a bargaining chip. Since I blew it with the person that holds the purse strings, and I just feel LUCKY to have found  a job so quickly, as I was set to downsized in a matter of weeks. Beggers can't be choosers.  
Paul

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2004, 12:12:52 PM »
To give this story some closure, the company called and offered me the position last night. Their are some big positives and negatives with the position, the company is literally WALKING DISTANCE from my house, and I'll be working with my wife, who has been their a number of years.

Kinda funny actually, went to a wake last night, and the HR person WAS THERE at the wake. (It was the wife of of the VP's, she was struck down with cancer.) Anyway, made EVERY EFFORT to go and shake her hand, and everytime I approached her, she would turn her back and start talking to some people that she knew. She did this multiple times, but I finally cornered her and SHOOK HER FREAKIN HAND!

The BIG thing that really bothers me is that its true, she had no say so when it came to me getting hired for the position. The story, it turns out, was that the VP WANTED ME for the job, but she had issues with me so she pushed it. He said "make it happen" in a sense, so she was required to offer me the job. But the BEYATCH LOW BALLED ME, and was unable to go up on my salary requirements. It's still going to be more than I'm making now, but I really felt like I didn't have a bargaining chip. Since I blew it with the person that holds the purse strings, and I just feel LUCKY to have found  a job so quickly, as I was set to downsized in a matter of weeks. Beggers can't be choosers.
yeah.................................................we got tp that beeeyatches hizouse dude.... :rolleyes:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2004, 11:12:19 PM »
Weird...very weird.  :blink:  Hey, what the hell, you are going to be making more money and you are back on solid ground job-wise for awhile. Chances are you'll never see this HR person again anyway, depending on how big the company is. At least you know you did the right thing in attempting to set things right. If she doesn't appreciate your efforts, that's her problem, not yours anymore.

Congratulations!