Author Topic: Teams you 'hate to love' and 'love to hate' past or present...  (Read 1559 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Teams you 'hate to love' and 'love to hate' past or present...
« on: November 14, 2007, 01:04:12 PM »
What are some teams past or present that over the years of being a basketball fan have you  come to love to hate and hate to love.  EVERYONE has a team they really like but for some reason can't live with themself for enjoying them and EVERYONE has a team they really like to hate on cuz it is fun (can't wait to tally up the Lakers for this one  :D  )

Hate to love: The Spurs squad over the past few seasons.  Just beautiful basketball night in and night out...but its still the Spurs <insert barf smiley>

Love to hate: New York Knicks but mainly because I have friends who are Knick fans that I like to give a really really hard time since they are always in competition with what LA does in every aspect of life (don't ask me why)
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Teams you 'hate to love' and 'love to hate' past or present...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 02:17:30 PM »
Hate to Love:  The Jazz because in the hey-day of my Sonics, the Jazz were the only real threats, and they DID push the Sonics to 7 games in 1996.  Its just Andrei Kirilenko is the absolute most fun player to watch play basketball (close second is Manu Ginobili). 

Love to Hate:  Too many to name, honestly.  The biggest one in history for me has to be Michael Jordan's Bulls.  Then you have Shaq/Kobe Lakers.  Of course the Knicks for the clown effect.  But a team that is starting to make a surge in this category is the Spurs--especially after Horry's <ahem> playoff contribution last year and the unabashed and disgusting filth of Bruce Bowen on defense.  Manu, and to a lesser extent Duncan, remain the team's saving grace.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 02:21:16 PM »
Hate to love:  Well, here is the first vote for the Lakers.  One of my first stars that I liked to follow was Lew Alcindor.  When he moved to LA I found myself rooting for him but against the team.  Besides there isn't a better team to use as a lightning rod for discussion.

Love to hate: The Mavs.  A lot of this has to do with non-basketball issues in Texas...basically the fact that most Dallasites see San Antonio like you do that relative that you invite for the holidays but hope they never show up (we are glad that you are part of our state just don't tell anyone).  Also Cuban's attitude just seems to rub me the wrong way.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 06:09:24 PM »
I am going to skip the obvious because that is dull.

Hate to love: Surprising, perhaps to everyone else, that would be the Minnesota Timberwolves. Even back when the Kings were really good, the one matchup that always seemed to go against the Kings was Garnett versus Webber. Those games would bring the best out of Webber, and Garnett, and you could tell the mutual admiration Kevin and Chris had for one another. But the games were always close and seemed to most often favor the Wolves.

A close second would be the Jazz, for many of the same reasons. Malone and Stockton, as much as you hated them, you also had to admire the Jazz. As the Kings progressively got better, it was the Jazz playoff games that we came to gauge our success against. Once we beat them, we knew we were good.   

Love to hate: The Knicks are an easy choice, what with Isaah Thomas and his stupidity masked as smirky street savvies. Just go away. But the real piece of dreck are the Boston Celtics. First off, it is pronounced "KELTICS", not "SELTICS". What, are we supposed to be impressed with New England independence that you can create your own pronunciation for someone else's word? That is shear arrogance. Second, we know, your history is unsurpassed. Really, we get it. Russell, Bird, McHale, Parrish, Cousy, Aurabach, stinky victory cigars - oh, and that "parkey" floor. Sneakers still squeak annoyingly on it, donche know.   Did the masters of Beantown also invent basketball and only allow the rest of the world visitation rights, for a fee?

Oh, and if only white players could play for Boston: wouldn't that be soooooo wonderful for the red, white, and blue Bostonian fans to dream about.     
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 07:36:32 PM »
Love to hate  -  It so obvious I don't even need to say it.  Got have these teams, because they make the game so much funner to watch.

Hate to love  -  I have 2 teams, the Celtics and the Griz.  I lost a lot of respect for the great Jerry West when he went on his crying rant about how it was just so wrong that they have a lottery and that Memphis didn't get the first pick, because they were so bad. 
Being bad is when you suck because you have no talent, like I have had to suffer through for 4 years.  It is not when you make the playoffs in back to back years, and then your best player gets a 6 week injury and you do everything in your power to lose every game possible to get a great draft pick.  To hear people whine and cry that they didn't get the draft pick they thought they should have got because they tanked away games is pathetic.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 08:15:41 PM »
Love to hate: The Webber Kings.  Such a whinny bunch of losers.  The last time I saw so many floppers was at the fresh fish market.  Nash/Fins/Dirk Mavs, bunch of jump shooting cream puffs who don't know there is a D in the alphabet.  Bad boy Knicks/Pistons, hard nose ball taken beyond the extreem, the toughness of the Celtics/Lakers was perverted into thug ball.  Current Lakers squad, tough to watch guys like Kobe/Walton/Fisher, who give it their all on the court, having to wear the same uniform as guys like Kwame/Odom/Bynum who coast on talent, in Kwame's case, he coasts to the bottom of the sea.

Hate to love: Bird's Celtics.  Other than Bird not taking his conditioning seriously, there is nothing about him I didn't like.  Never complained, always nails, and a hard worker.  I cannot stand McHale as a player, constant complainer and borderline dirty player BUT those post moves were a thing of beuty.  There has NEVER been as skilled a post player, I have yet to see someone as good, I have seen guys as effective but not as good.  Parish was a likeably player in my book, not becuase of his personality but because of his play.  Those three were enough for me to overcome my dislike of the Celtics and Ainge.  The history of racism durring Russel's era is disgraceful and direct reflection of their fans but McHale and Parish's skills along with Bird in his entirety made me root for them every time except when they faced the Lakers.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 02:29:45 PM »
The only teams I hated were the bad boys out of Detroit- and there thug style of play that spread to New York, Washington and Miami.  AS Wow said, they played "hard nose ball taken beyond the extreem, the toughness of the Celtics/Lakers was perverted into thug ball."  Worst basketball I ever saw.

Also agree about the Bulls, I just got sick of them winning, more importantly no one else in the NBA could even challenge them, inducing Chicago fans to think those clowns could hold a Candle to the Celtics or Lakers of a decade earlier. Let alone think they were better than the 83' Sixers.

I don't hate the Spurs.  I respect and admire them.  Bowen and Horry may be a little dirty, but in comparison with those Detroit and NY Teams they're not even close to being on the same level.  The Spurs play solid defense and have the most effective post up player in the NBA.

If only the rest of NBA played the game as well as the Spurs.... 

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 04:13:35 PM »
Love to Hate:  Several teams.  Any Lakers squad, Cuban's Mavs, MJ's Bulls.  I want to hate the Spurs, but ...

Hate to Love: The Spurs.  I just love Tim Duncan WAY too much to dislike this team.  In fact, when this is all over, I think we should get an apartment together (thank you, "Anchorman," for that joke).  I also respect Manu Ginobili.  He's a really fun player to watch.  And you can't hate Michael Finley.  Unfortunately, I CAN hate Tony Parker and Bruce Bowen.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 05:15:08 PM »
Love to Hate:  The Marketers both "Ratings Show Time" and Phildo eras, Rodman the Flopping Bull (been going on in NBA for years but he took it to level that is not basketball, Swisher carried it on.)  Karl Cheapshot Malone, hated him up until the time one of Teds wives slapped him around and beyond.  Reggie Miller the title killer with that very good Bird coached Indiana team.  Bill Laimbeer.

Hate to Love:  Rodman Bulls when he induced Cheapshot Malone to get rung up for a technical and FTs.  Kurt Rambis and Michael Cooper (straight players and hardworkers 85 Lakers true title).  Detroit vs Portland 1990.  Not thugball but rather a very good team.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 06:12:29 PM by Reality »

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 10:08:50 AM »
Teams I Love to Hate:  Got to mention all those Laker teams post Kareem.  The arrogance of some of those teams was unbelievable, especially given how they seemed to think they were carrying on some glorious Laker tradition, when actually, they were sullying it more and more.  Have to mention the Chicago Bulls in the Phil Jackson/Tim Floyd years.  The Trailblazers after the Brian Grant for Shawn Kemp deal and before the Nate McMillan era.  The 1979 Sonics, on up to the time they traded Jack Sikma for Alton Lister.  The Knicks since Isiah Thomas got there.  Any team coached by Mike Fratello.

Teams I Hate to Love:  The Charlotte Bobcats, throughout their history, short though it be.  The Don Nelson Mavericks.  The George Karl Sonics.  The Miami Heat under Kevin Loughery.  The Milwaukee Bucks during the Sikma era.  The Webber/Strickland/Howard Washington Bullets/Wizards/whatever.  The current Boston Celtics.  Kareem's Lakers.  Riley's Knicks.  The Suns after the acquisition of Dennis Johnson.  The Bulls under Scott Skiles.  The Detroit Pistons from the aquisition of Dan Roundfield until the retirement of Bill Laimbeer.  Doug Collins's Detroit Pistons.  Teams coached by Larry Brown other than the Knicks.  The Toronto Raptors with Damon Stoudemire.  The post-championship Rockets until they traded Olajuwon.  The Jazz while Olden Polynice was there.  The 1999 Jazz.  And the big one...any team Skander or Caleb are playing on or cheering for.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!