Author Topic: Why we Californians are in trouble  (Read 1066 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Why we Californians are in trouble
« on: March 24, 2004, 03:48:15 PM »
From my favorite Sacramento Bee columnist, R. E. Graswich, in today's paper, who used to cover the Kings back in the bad old days and almost got beaten up by Olden Polynice for something he wrote about the make believe cop:

Kick the habit: Capitol officials might watch for fallout on the well-publicized statehouse visit by monks from the Shaolin Temple in China. A monk demonstrated his "iron body" strength by asking Assembly members Herb Wesson and Ed Chavez to take turns kicking the guest in the groin. Herb and Ed kicked away. The monk didn't blink. "If this doesn't show the ineffectiveness of Assembly members, nothing will," an observer said. ...

To make this basketball relevant , I will add another blurb from R.E.'s column, who covers the city's little foibles in a Herb Caen sort of way (not quite in Herb's league, however, but I like him anyway):

Happy couple: The friendship between Kingsman Chris Webber and underwear model/actress Tyra Banks is back in a big way in public view. The happy couple have been out and about, becoming prominent fixtures at Sacramento cultural events. Chris and Tyra were almost a distraction at "If These Hips Could Talk," the stage show starring Billy Dee Williams and Robin Givens at Memorial Auditorium. The Shadow noted, "The audience had a hard time watching the show. Necks kept turning from the stage to Chris and Tyra." At least nobody booed. ...

Later that night, Chris missed his shot 4 out of 23 attempts with Tyra. Tyra's defense is still way too much for C-Webb to handle yet. On a side note, Webber is building a 27,000 square foot house outside Sacramento, with a $200,000 pool and a heliport.

Me thinks we are paying him a tad too much for his current contributions.    

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."