Author Topic: Does Jerry West deserve his props now?  (Read 1676 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Does Jerry West deserve his props now?
« on: March 19, 2004, 09:58:02 PM »
Since we all have been posting together for several years now I was wondering if a few of you remember comments made about Jerry West and his true ability as a GM.  Arguments were made, very solid ones I might add, that he had a few things on his side.  The most obvious being that the team is in LA with all the lights and cameras.  I think we all agreed that 'We would see when he gets the grizz' once we all found out the news.  Well....does he deserve some props for turning this team around?

I believe Hubie and West have both done an excellent job together turning this team around.  Hubie is doing everything right on the floor and West made some very solid moves for the team.  Agree disagree?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 11:17:13 PM »
Couldn't agree more. He saw something in Hubie that nobody else did, everyone, myself included, thought the game had passed this man by. Jerry goes out and puts together a very young team that Hubie could coach and look at the results. Now, no way some of the selfish little creeps in the NBA today with their arrogance and the world owes me, I'M A STARTER attitude would ever work in this scheme, but that is part of Jerry's brilliance, he doesn't go after someone who won't follow the plan and goals set for the team, NOT the individual. Jerry West will go down in history as the greatest GM in the history of pro sports, not just the NBA.
Dan

Rickortreat

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 01:01:07 PM »
Absoulutly.

He always deservded his props, even when he was in LA, I don't think he got the credit he deserved.

But Memphis gave him a stituation where he basically started with nothing, and has built a very competitive ballclub.

It remains to be seen how competitive they'll be.  They're very sound, but have no real stars.  A sound team can go pretty far.  Larry Brown put one together in Philly with one star that got to the finals.  In an era when teams are full of 'I'm the man" players, showboating and not playing team ball, a sound team can win alot.

West knows talent and Hubie knows how to coach.  That's always a winning combination.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 07:17:32 PM »
Absoulutly.

He always deservded his props, even when he was in LA, I don't think he got the credit he deserved.

But Memphis gave him a stituation where he basically started with nothing, and has built a very competitive ballclub.

It remains to be seen how competitive they'll be.  They're very sound, but have no real stars.  A sound team can go pretty far.  Larry Brown put one together in Philly with one star that got to the finals.  In an era when teams are full of 'I'm the man" players, showboating and not playing team ball, a sound team can win alot.

West knows talent and Hubie knows how to coach.  That's always a winning combination.
At this point I think just being in the playoff race is a big improvement over what they have done prior to this year.  More likely than not they will get trounced in the first round by one of the top 4 but that expierence they will gain is something each player needs on this team to continue to grow.  Not only as players but as a team.  Aside from J-dub no one on this team has been anywhere in the playoffs.  They will never be competitive if they dont believe they have a shot on the next level.  If they give one of the big 4 problems in the first round they could be twice as good next year.  Another year in the league together and an idea of what the playoffs are about.  Looks like a very productive season for the team win or loose IMO.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2004, 07:22:47 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 04:51:35 PM »
Paul