Author Topic: State of the Wolves.  (Read 3011 times)

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
State of the Wolves.
« on: December 19, 2006, 01:09:35 AM »
Well I got sick of waiting for a potential AI trade so here we go with my views on the Wolves.  By the way I have a side bet with someone as to how many posts we can go without this turning in to a Kobe/Manu pissing match.  ;)

So far there have been a number of postives with the Wolves, especially in the past couple weeks.  First off, the Wolves *gasp* drafted well this year.  Foye is starting to make some plays, though he still has a lot of rookie mistakes to work out.  The recent loss at Milwaukee was a great example.  He made some fine plays, including a crazy block on a Redd breakaway layup, and also made some absolutely boneheaded mistakes.  Still, I am very, very glad to have a promising rookie making those mistakes, rather than Troy Hudson (more on this later).

Second rounder Craig Smith has been a nice find as well.  He's not a star by any stretch but he is providing the Wolves with some scoring down low and plays with ten times more heart than the man he replaced, Eddie Griffin.  I love the fact that at about 6'6" he manages to finish in the lane with a quick, high arcing shot that he says he learned from watching old footage of Bernard King.  Gotta like that.

Mike James, Ricky Davis and Mark Blount are doing okay, altough James needs to be more consistent.  Frankly, I don't know if he has it in him.   Davis has been surprisingly solid.  His passing seems to have taken a quantum leap forward from previous years.   As to Blount he is still soft but I will upgrade him from wet kleenex soft to dry napkin.  If he keeps playing like he has the past couple weeks I will upgrade him to paper towel. 

After a slow start on both ends of the court Trenton Hasell has pulled it together.  Again, not a star but a solid defender who plays hard and takes only good shots.  That's a neccessity when the teams other guards, especially the point guards, like to jack up shots.  If the Wolves do end up with AI I would see Trenton as an excellent complement to Iverson.

KG is a notch below MVP caliber but still a GREAT player.  He seems happier this year and continues to put up big numbers and has more spring in his step than last year.  That leads me to my nominee for this years most improved Wolf.

Dwayne Casey.   

Casey has figured out a smart rotation and it shows.  He is resting KG more.  Essentially Casey rests him at the same time as usual, the middle of the second and the end of the third and beginning of the fourth but he is resting him for longer periods in both instances.  Amazingly, unlike years past, this hasn't resulted in the opposition putting on big runs.  Long term this is good for both the team and KG. 

In addition this rotation DOES NOT include THud and Eddie Griffin.  Bless you Dwayne, bless you.  Both got some early minutes Smith's play has pushed Griffin to the bench and Hudson ongoing lack of disciplinen means he put himself on the bench.  I play ball at the Y with 16 year olds make better decisions than Hudson. 

Also, all the players just seem more confident.  Some of that is just the natural result of relative newcomers like Blount, Davis and Jaric settling in to a new system but I still think Case has done a much, much better job of recognizing his players talents and utilizing them.   I think that's especially true of his use of Smith and Jaric.  The idea of making Jaric a starting PG is out the window and he's playing as he should, a swingman off the bench.  Jaric is apparently a guy who's biggest problem is that he mentally kills himself when he makes mistakes. 

Man this is getting long and I'm just getting to the negatives.  I'll keep it short.  James and Foye are very inconsistent.  Blount, Jaric, Davis and Smith are playing about as well as they can, but none of them have the talent to be real difference makers.  Same for Hassell.  Also, I think Davis, Jaric and Hasell might be able to maintain their play, but Smith is going to hit the rookie wall and I expect Blount to revert to his wussy ways.  Also the coaching and personell changes haven't changed the Wolves in two key regards.  They don't get to the free throw line and the point guards can't stop penetration. 

Oh man, I just forgot the Belgian dubbel abbey ale I left in the kitchen.   :P  Good night!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 01:19:12 AM by jn »
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: State of the Wolves.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 10:29:07 AM »
So who does MN give for A.I.?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 11:59:36 AM »
Nice summary on the team.  I can honestly admit I have no idea what is going on with the Wolves and I have not been able to catch any games of theres that did not involve a local team.  So props on the breakdown.  At least I have an idea of what is going on.  ESPN and Fox Sports Net are def not covering them.

How is Jaric doing and has he fit in the way they expected?  I figured they went after him to fill that role Wally played.  They have a similar game  and I thought he was a solid pick up.  Liked his dirty Euro haircut and offense when he was a Clip  ;D

How do you feel about an AI/KG combo from a homer standpoint?  IMO it would be great for all the fans if they were able to co-exist to make a championship run.  Hopefully Minnesota's non-gangsta area won't push AI away.  You know he turned down Cow-Town for a similar reason.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 12:01:14 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 12:14:14 PM »
JN, you go through that whole post and you never expand on the most important thing. What was the name of the Belgian dubbel abbey ale you were drinking?

I was in Belgium earlier this year and went nuts trying each of the 600+ types of beers they make there.

Those Trappist Ales were so strong, you could live off drinking one for three days. So how many did you manage before noon?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 01:37:20 PM »
My bad JoMal, my bad.  It was a Grimbergen.  Enjoyable and relatively affordable but you can do much better.  My personal favorite is Maredsous.  There is a bar a block from my place that has it on tap, along with about 30 other Belgian/Dutch beers in bottles, all served in the correct glasses.  I go there, have a couple, then wonder why I am feeling a loopy.  Oh right, the 9% alcohol level.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 01:50:22 PM by jn »
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 01:58:54 PM »
Which is the Belgian beer that is served in the hourglass-shaped glass that comes with a wooden holder? Trying to drink that one, you have to be careful not to dump half of it on your head.

Those Trappist Beers are more potent then most. You are lucky in that you only have to walk to that bar, instead of other means.

We used to have a bar near our house run by a Scotsman. Besides the good beer, he also had some exquisite single malts, such as Caol Ila and Bunnahabhain from Islay, and extremely hard to find ones, like Edradour. Nectar. I try to keep some Caol Ila around in the house at all times. For blends, the new Johnny Walker Green is made with Caol Ila. Much better then the Black or red.   
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 04:08:48 PM »
Kwak is the one your thinking of. They have it at my neighborhood bar.  Haven't tried it yet though.  Perhaps I'll wait until it's about thirty below and I've already had a few so that I'm trying to cope with the hourglass and the wooden frame with frozen, drunken hands.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 05:12:26 PM »
Kwak, that's it. Drinking a Kwak requires too much concentration to enjoy it. More gimmick then flavor anyway.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 11:46:01 AM »
My bad JoMal, my bad.  It was a Grimbergen.  Enjoyable and relatively affordable but you can do much better.  My personal favorite is Maredsous.  There is a bar a block from my place that has it on tap, along with about 30 other Belgian/Dutch beers in bottles, all served in the correct glasses.  I go there, have a couple, then wonder why I am feeling a loopy.  Oh right, the 9% alcohol level.

Another reason to prepare to celebrate?
Viking wins against Green Bay and St. Louis.  1 Atlanta loss + 1 NY Giants loss = Minnesota is in the playoffs!! 

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 12:22:35 PM »

Another reason to prepare to celebrate?
Viking wins against Green Bay and St. Louis.  1 Atlanta loss + 1 NY Giants loss = Minnesota is in the playoffs!! 

If we are suddenly going to highjack jn's thoughtful take on his 'Wolves and make this an NFL thread - GO NINERS!!!!

But if we want to endear jn to us and respond to his original post, then I have this to say. From your indepth take on the 'Wolves, it would appear that the team is going to struggle to remain in the middle-of-the-pack out west, which is a shame for Garnett, who is one of my favorite players.

When Webber was a King, (and healthier!) those two admittedly loved playing against each other, and frankly I don't see that pleasure in the game that Kevin once displayed when the Kings and the 'Wolves went at it back then, when Minnesota plays any other team now. Perhaps it is just that he is getting older and looks at things differently, but does he really enjoy the game like he used to?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 02:26:53 PM »
But if we want to endear jn to us and respond to his original post, then I have this to say. From your indepth take on the 'Wolves, it would appear that the team is going to struggle to remain in the middle-of-the-pack out west, which is a shame for Garnett, who is one of my favorite players.

When Webber was a King, (and healthier!) those two admittedly loved playing against each other, and frankly I don't see that pleasure in the game that Kevin once displayed when the Kings and the 'Wolves went at it back then, when Minnesota plays any other team now. Perhaps it is just that he is getting older and looks at things differently, but does he really enjoy the game like he used to?

I see the same thing.  The Wolves & Spurs...and thus KG & TD...had the makings of a great rivalry.  But first the Wolves had the Smith fiasco and then the league put the teams in different divisions.  In the last matchup KG just didn't seem to have the same fire.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 03:15:01 PM »
It's just sad to see KG going to waste in MN.  KG wanted AI, but MN wouldn't give them enough.  If they had thrown Foye in, KG and AI would now be together and the T-Wolves would be worth watching and talking about.

This was a bad miss by the T-Wolves- KG badly needs some players around him to help him, and AI would have been a big addition.

A writer from Sacramento said the same thing.  This was an opportunity that the T-Wolves missed.

Ah Single Malt Scotch- I have acquired a taste for Laphroig also from Islay.  But I also like Balvenie and Macallens.

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 03:36:19 PM »
I'm not entirely convinced Foye was the main stumbling block in a potential deal.  The Wolves also lack two key ingredients the Sixers needed, first round picks and expiring contracts.  So yes, I think they missed a great chance but I don't think Foye was the reason.

On to a couple other issues.  Yes, I think some of KG's exuberance has dimmed.  He recently spoke publicly about his situation and basically said "Don't cry for me Argentina."  Obviously the guy isn't happy not being on a contender but I also think the change in demeanor may have one other source.  Namely, "Da Kid" is now 30 years old.  I still enjoy the KG/TD Wolves/Spurs matchups but not to the same extent.  The Kings/Wolves matchup has really changed.  With Adelman and Saunders coaching it was a great matchup because both coaches emphasized teamwork and passing. 

Reality, I actually don't care if the Vikes make the playoffs.  In all honesty, they aren't worthy.  They are a mediocre team that lacks discipline and has given away to many winnable games.  I just want a win over the Pack.