Author Topic: Question about Islam  (Read 7222 times)

guest-koast

Question about Islam
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2006, 10:56:36 AM »
BTW, The History Channel Rocks!  Is there a non-geek way to state that?
Probably not...but definately one of the most watched channels in our house.  IMHO the best non-news, non-sports channel available.  And since there are around 10 gazillion channels to choose from that's not bad.
You may not believe it but at my house it's heavily watched also.  My two roomates are my best friend and little brother who are 25 and 19 respectively.  I think the channel is awesome.  Just the other night I stayed up late just so I could watch a documentary on the President of Zaire and how he ruled his area with an iron fist (I forget how to spell his name now, wheres my coffee?)

I don't have much to add in the way of Islam as I am not very familiar with it.  Or at least don't know much more outside of what has been said already.  IMO it is a great religion when followed in a peaceful manner.  It's really sad that so many ignorant Americans just assume that since less then .0001% of the people that practice Islam are terrorists that anyone who practices Islam could be a terrorist or already is one.  If you don't believe people think that way...go see Borat  :D  

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Question about Islam
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2006, 12:17:03 PM »
Wars have been fought for territory and world conquest, but religion hasn't been behind any of them in the modern era. Unless you want to call facism or nazism religions.

Rick, I don't care about the reason the Wars were fought or why the streets ran red with blood.  Is it true that countries populated with secular, pseudo-agnostics (like you) have a long and bloody history of War over land, money, power, whatever which proves that these secularists are a bloodthirsty, erratic, domineering, and violent people. Yes or No?

Rick, let me ask you a question.  You play the stock market to gain money, correct?  History is filled with wars, violence, and unspoken atrocities all in the name of gaining money.  If you say people shouldn't be religious based on the violence borne of religious societies.  Shouldn't you also say that people shouldn't be financially ambitious based on the violence borne of that type of behavior.

And none of them religious or otherwise take the churches, synagogues or temples and turn them into Islamic sites.

You're wrong on this account.  The Muslim Empire spread with speed and relative peace precisely because they never enforced a state religion amongst the provinces and principalities under their rule.  It is why historic churches and synagogues dot the entire Middle-Eastern landscape and especially the city of Jerusalem even when the Seljuk Turks controlled the city across hundreds of years.  Rick you have to stop making uninformed, ignorant comments like this; a cursory review of historical fact makes it too easy to poke holes through.    

I'd say that's false, since all of those areas were controlled by the Ottoman Turks 100 years ago, and that was considered the height of muslim society- the Suliman Caliphate.

Wrong!  The height of Muslim Society and influence across the world was approximately 700 - 1300 A.D. especially during the rule of the Fatimid Caliphate.

During the first World War, when the Ottomans aligned themselves with the Germans, the British aided the arab tribes in freeing themselves from the domination of the Turks. Perhaps you remember Lawrence of Arabia?

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that the British Empire took advantage of the situation by sewing descent among the flighty, greedy tribe leaders dividing the geographic area  into several, isolated, and highly unorganized segments so as better to imperialize and economically exploit these people much as they had done in Africa, Indian sub-continent, and tried to do in America?  Wouldn't saying that be a little more truthful to the situation of why those "helpful" British were so eager to "aide" the tribes?  I think I'll look at historical facts before conjuring up a hollywood movie...but to each his own.

The British did do the dividing, based on the tribes they were working with at the time.

How very convenient for The British.

This was the justification Saddam used to attack Kuwait, to reunite the provinces. The Kuwaiti's probably had no interest in joining back with Iraq.

Yeah, the same kind of justification Lincoln used to attack the South, to reunite the States.  The South probably had no interest in joing back with the Union.  

But alas there was no 3rd Party World Superpower (interested in the economic exploitation of the South) to intervene militarily on the South's behalf in 1861.  Poor Southerners couldn't buy those darn Kuwaiti's kind of luck.

There is also the schism between the Sunni and the Shia, which the west as far as I am aware has nothing to do with as it is an interpretation of the lineage of Muhhamed's decendents, and the belief that only those of his blood line are fit to rule.

Wrong Again!  The main difference between the Sunni and the Shiite is which prominent Islamic religious figure must be shown the greatest amount of respect and deference.  I also wonder how it was possible that the Sunni and Shiite sectors of Islam got along reasonably well enough to establish an empire and live in relative peace across 1200 years between the mid 7th century and WWI when COINCIDENTALLY OF COURSE, the West got heavily involved in the region......hmmmm?

Sure the West has been responsible for a good deal of trouble there, but primarily for the purpose of doing business and getting oil out of the region. The Saudis and the rest of the Gulf states seem fairly happy with the arrangement, even to the point where they were against the recent attacks by Hezzbolah in Lebannon.

Can you really call it doing business?  Is it really business when a country like Jordan is not allowed to even hear an offer from a country like China when it comes to building the infrastructure for an oil-producing factory.  Is it really business when every contract comes with a military base clause just thrown in there for fun.  Is it really business when we force military action against those that might seek a fair price under the guise of spreading freedom.  Then again I forget who I'm talking to, its all in the name of harmless, secular, financial gain.  These people are only dying in the name of money and power, at least its not religion, thank God.  :rolleyes:    

The 0.001% of the population comprised of the rich, royal, pampered billionaire families within the Gulf States seem fairly happy with the arrangement, I doubt the rest of the 99.999% of the population in these same Gulf States are quite as happy with the "arrangement".

I'm not aware of any Christians or Jews singing songs comparing Muslims to Pigs and Apes, or making cartoons celebrating suicide attacks by martyrs. But I do know that both the Palestinians and Iranians are!

Oh those Palestinian refugee cockroaches living out of tents have the audacity to make a cartoon.  You know, Rick, I couldn't of wished for a more hypocritic sentence from you.  

A link to an article detailing the Arab stereotype prevalent in Western Television

http://www.ameu.org/printer.asp?iid=107&aid=151

A link to Wikipedia on the prevalence of Anti-Arabism in the west

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Arabism

900 Western Films, 12 portrayed Arabs positively, 50 were objective!!

Here is a link about the reaction in Indonesia over a series of 12 comic strips in Denmark that blatently villified and denigrated Prophet Mohammed, the most revered Islamic figure in History.

http://www.asianews.it/dos.php?l=en&dos=&art=5306

Let me ask you, Rick, you ever seen an Arab comic strip protraying a caricature of Jesus or Moses as the lowest form of criminal, terrorist scum.  

So long as you continue to try isolate religion (and especially Islam) as the only entity responsible for violence and bigotry, I'm going to continue to call you on it and point out the depth of your error.      
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Question about Islam
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2006, 12:42:07 PM »
....point out the depth of your error.
You are way too kind.  I prefer to use the term "jackass".  Or would it be "jackassness"?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Question about Islam
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2006, 12:43:22 PM »
I find it highly amusing to see that a very large portion of the population in this country actually believes that citizens in Islamic countries hate us because we are Christian, or because we have some kind of freedoms they do not, or want to convert us.

Western countries, led by first the British and now the U.S., have been exploiting Arabic and Persian countries from the beginning of the Twentieth Century for the oil they possess. The CIA ran Iran through the Shah for over 25 years.

Do you know why the Bush Administration KNEW, without a doubt, that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass distruction?

Because they still had the receipts. (Ted Koppel - last night's Daily Show with John Stewart)

Funny, but true. The United States financed Iraq's war with Iran. Western countries, including the U.S., sold the chemicals used by Hussein to gas the Kurds he now is being accussed of massacring.

Could we BE any more hated for the foreign policies set down covertly by our beloved government so the idiotic and naive people of America can still yell out, 'MY COUNTRY, RIGHT OR WRONG', and think because America is behind it, of course we are the GOOD GUYS.  

Folks, we have not been the good guys for quite some time, including in Viet Nam - another country we invaded and got shown the door.

This is the truth - the INVADING country can not ever be viewed without consequences as the GOOD GUYS. While some will welcome the invaders with open arms, it is the part of the population who sees only a foreign intruder on their land that can never be altered no matter how the propaganda machine tries to.

And that has nothing to do with religion, so don't waste your typing trying to rationalize it by using what the politicians are TELLING you to believe. They do not want you to consider what foreign policy mistakes were made by them to cause the crisis, so simpleminded people won't peek behind the curtain.    
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Question about Islam
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2006, 01:31:23 PM »
I find it highly amusing to see that a very large portion of the population in this country actually believes that citizens in Islamic countries hate us because we are Christian, or because we have some kind of freedoms they do not, or want to convert us.

Western countries, led by first the British and now the U.S., have been exploiting Arabic and Persian countries from the beginning of the Twentieth Century for the oil they possess. The CIA ran Iran through the Shah for over 25 years.

Do you know why the Bush Administration KNEW, without a doubt, that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass distruction?

Because they still had the receipts. (Ted Koppel - last night's Daily Show with John Stewart)

Funny, but true. The United States financed Iraq's war with Iran. Western countries, including the U.S., sold the chemicals used by Hussein to gas the Kurds he now is being accussed of massacring.

Could we BE any more hated for the foreign policies set down covertly by our beloved government so the idiotic and naive people of America can still yell out, 'MY COUNTRY, RIGHT OR WRONG', and think because America is behind it, of course we are the GOOD GUYS

Folks, we have not been the good guys for quite some time, including in Viet Nam - another country we invaded and got shown the door.

This is the truth - the INVADING country can not ever be viewed without consequences as the GOOD GUYS. While some will welcome the invaders with open arms, it is the part of the population who sees only a foreign intruder on their land that can never be altered no matter how the propaganda machine tries to.

And that has nothing to do with religion, so don't waste your typing trying to rationalize it by using what the politicians are TELLING you to believe. They do not want you to consider what foreign policy mistakes were made by them to cause the crisis, so simpleminded people won't peek behind the curtain.

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

Give credit where credit is due JoMal.  That was a line from the Dave Chappell show skit "Negrodamus".  I forget the name of the comic who wrote that line but he's hysterical without even using curse words.  His other line in that skit was: "Star Jones is the hardest working women on TV, first she does the Today show then she pulls off her wig and does the weather".

I know it was Ted Koppels fault, but you're easier to blame.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Question about Islam
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2006, 02:06:44 PM »
WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

I am never wrong about these things. It is my curse.

Give credit where credit is due JoMal.  That was a line from the Dave Chappell show skit "Negrodamus".  I forget the name of the comic who wrote that line but he's hysterical without even using curse words.  His other line in that skit was: "Star Jones is the hardest working women on TV, first she does the Today show then she pulls off her wig and does the weather".

I know it was Ted Koppels fault, but you're easier to blame.

I give credit to whomever I hear it from. Now I will give credit to you for correcting the source.  

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Question about Islam
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2006, 02:10:01 PM »
Rick, I don't care about the reason the Wars were fought or why the streets ran red with blood. Is it true that countries populated with secular, pseudo-agnostics (like you) have a long and bloody history of War over land, money, power, whatever which proves that these secularists are a bloodthirsty, erratic, domineering, and violent people. Yes or No?

Who said I was a pseudo agnostic.  You have no idea what I believe.

Man's history is filled with Wars for all types of reasons, mostly power and control over and area and it's people.  Nearly every countries borders were defined by a war.  One would have to conclude that this is human nature, to take from others by force.

Rick, let me ask you a question. You play the stock market to gain money, correct? History is filled with wars, violence, and unspoken atrocities all in the name of gaining money. If you say people shouldn't be religious based on the violence borne of religious societies. Shouldn't you also say that people shouldn't be financially ambitious based on the violence borne of that type of behavior.

That's a moral view I suscribe to.  I think you should work for what you get, whether you do it by speculating in markets or doing engageing in any business.  I would say that nearly all wars these days are induced by the money powers desire to exploit, including the conflict with Iraq and Iran they do this to make a profit in a manner I think is immoral.  

You know every well that what we're doing in Iraq isn't the will of the American people.  We're not the ones who made the decision.  Bush didn't do it, because we wanted it.  The power behind the President wanted it.  The same people are behind Tony Blair.  They're not behind the French or the Germans or the Russians.

You're wrong on this account. The Muslim Empire spread with speed and relative peace precisely because they never enforced a state religion amongst the provinces and principalities under their rule. It is why historic churches and synagogues dot the entire Middle-Eastern landscape and especially the city of Jerusalem even when the Seljuk Turks controlled the city across hundreds of years. Rick you have to stop making uninformed, ignorant comments like this; a cursory review of historical fact makes it too easy to poke holes through.

So the Great Mosque in Istanbul, isn't really a Church built by Constantine?  And they didn't buld a Mosque overlooking the holiest Jewish site, or wall up the gate in Jerusalem the Jewish Messiah is prophesized to walk through?  

Wrong! The height of Muslim Society and influence across the world was approximately 700 - 1300 A.D. especially during the rule of the Fatimid Caliphate.

I stand corrected.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that the British Empire took advantage of the situation by sewing descent among the flighty, greedy tribe leaders dividing the geographic area into several, isolated, and highly unorganized segments so as better to imperialize and economically exploit these people much as they had done in Africa, Indian sub-continent, and tried to do in America? Wouldn't saying that be a little more truthful to the situation of why those "helpful" British were so eager to "aide" the tribes? I think I'll look at historical facts before conjuring up a hollywood movie...but to each his own.

The British did do the dividing, based on the tribes they were working with at the time.

How very convenient for The British.

That was their MO. But the point is, the tribes were already divided. The British simply took advantage of their distrust of each other.  If they were really unified muslims, would they have become greedy and betrayed their brothers? They didn't consolitate them into highly unorganized segments, they backed the biggest tribe in the area and used them to conquer the others.  It's a lot easier to control a country using their own people, than to bring in a lot of your own troops.

Yeah, the same kind of justification Lincoln used to attack the South, to reunite the States. The South probably had no interest in joing back with the Union.

But alas there was no 3rd Party World Superpower (interested in the economic exploitation of the South) to intervene militarily on the South's behalf in 1861. Poor Southerners couldn't buy those darn Kuwaiti's kind of luck.

Did you even read my post?  France and England supported the South in the War.  It is probable that the South never would have seceeded in the first place without their support.  Don't believe the nonsense about why the war was started, it wasn't about slavery.  

Wrong Again! The main difference between the Sunni and the Shiite is which prominent Islamic religious figure must be shown the greatest amount of respect and deference. I also wonder how it was possible that the Sunni and Shiite sectors of Islam got along reasonably well enough to establish an empire and live in relative peace across 1200 years between the mid 7th century and WWI when COINCIDENTALLY OF COURSE, the West got heavily involved in the region......hmmmm?

So doesn't that respect extend to political power? Or is government separate from religion in Islam?  Do you have any knowledge or evidence of the west creating the schism?  Was this one of the means the British used to exploit the situation there?

Can you really call it doing business? Is it really business when a country like Jordan is not allowed to even hear an offer from a country like China when it comes to building the infrastructure for an oil-producing factory. Is it really business when every contract comes with a military base clause just thrown in there for fun. Is it really business when we force military action against those that might seek a fair price under the guise of spreading freedom. Then again I forget who I'm talking to, its all in the name of harmless, secular, financial gain. These people are only dying in the name of money and power, at least its not religion, thank God. 

The 0.001% of the population comprised of the rich, royal, pampered billionaire families within the Gulf States seem fairly happy with the arrangement, I doubt the rest of the 99.999% of the population in these same Gulf States are quite as happy with the "arrangement".

Yes that is business, it's not moral in the way you or I would consider it, but it is highly profitable. I never said it was harmless, quite the contrary it is the primary enemy of the people it exploits, including US citizens.

Who's fault is it the oil wealth in the gulf isn't being distributed equitably?  The US doesn't tell them how to run their economies or structure their societies.  Those are muslim royals deciding how to distribute the largess.

Oh those Palestinian refugee cockroaches living out of tents have the audacity to make a cartoon. You know, Rick, I couldn't of wished for a more hypocritic sentence from you.

I saw them on a cable channel, I'm not sure if it's available everywhere.  They have a cute little muslim girl explaining why she hates the Jews.

If you want to defend that crap that's your problem.  Is it consitent with the tenents of Islam to teach children to hate or isn't it?  That's the hypocrisy.  

Here is a link about the reaction in Indonesia over a series of 12 comic strips in Denmark that blatently villified and denigrated Prophet Mohammed, the most revered Islamic figure in History.

A bit of an overreaction over a cartoon wouldn't you say?  You might think from a subjective viewpoint that the cartoons were blatently vilifying and denigrating.  I think for western audiences they were simply cartoons, no more insulting than any political cartoon, whether it's a caracture of the Pope or a President.

Whether you think they're funny or not, that was the cartonist's intent.  And he didn't get the idea for them out of the blue, but out of what was happeing in the news.

Let me ask you, Rick, you ever seen an Arab comic strip protraying a caricature of Jesus or Moses as the lowest form of criminal, terrorist scum.

Can't say I have.  But I I have seen cartoons depciting a terrorist pulling a cord attached to grenades around his body and jumping onto a militatry vehicle, blowing it and himself up.  That's a wonderful thing to show to young children, isn't it?

So long as you continue to try isolate religion (and especially Islam) as the only entity responsible for violence and bigotry, I'm going to continue to call you on it and point out the depth of your error.

I never said they were the only ones!  I say all of the world's power structures are guilty of violence in some form, and make use of bigorty in manipulating the populations.  Religion has been and continues to be a vehicle for this, and that is inherently hypocritycal, since they advocate killing in God's name.  Religion is supposed to be about supporting people and helping them to follow what is right.  It shouldn't be about killing God's other children.

I never said we were the good guys, we're the worst of the bunch!  

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Question about Islam
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2006, 06:24:22 PM »
Who said I was a pseudo agnostic. You have no idea what I believe.

I apologize if you didn't like the choice of words.  And you've let me have some idea of what you believe, right?  What would you call this belief:

"How's this for an explanation: We are all works in progress. The creator gave us being and awareness and then let us go off on our own. An environment is provided for us in which to become aware and develop our minds and perceptions. Creation is highly complex and difficult to understand or comprehend. It takes a long time for a being to reach the point where ohe can appreciate their own existance or the concept of God. The first step towards enlightenment is admitting you don't know."

Man's history is filled with Wars for all types of reasons, mostly power and control over and area and it's people. Nearly every countries borders were defined by a war. One would have to conclude that this is human nature, to take from others by force.

I agree.  EVERY country with people of EVERY kind of belief system have gotten into Wars with neighboring countries.

No reason to place the spotlight on Islam, Judaism, Christianity, or even Rastafarianism as the culprits of violence and bigotry much as you put the spotlight on Islam with this sentence:

"but it is a FACT that everywhere a muslim country borders a non-muslim country there is or has been violence."

That's a moral view I suscribe to. I think you should work for what you get, whether you do it by speculating in markets or doing engageing in any business. I would say that nearly all wars these days are induced by the money powers desire to exploit, including the conflict with Iraq and Iran they do this to make a profit in a manner I think is immoral.

Once again, I agree that their is a huge difference, in morality terms, on how one goes about the acquisition of money (a necessary part of society).  And I wish you differentiated this same kind of difference between a couple dozen of scattered, deluded, power-hungry mullahs and the rest of the approximately 1.2 billion Muslims world-wide with respect to the observation of their similar faith, Islam.  You wrote:

"You might say that they're not acting in harmony with the tenents of Islam, but the mullahs there would dissagree with you."

They may, but there is sure a lot more Muslims out there like me instead of like them no matter what CNN or Fox News will have you believe.

So the Great Mosque in Istanbul, isn't really a Church built by Constantine?

The building with you which you are referring is the Hagia Sophia (Holy Wisdom) in Istanbul (not Constantinople). B)   Originally was the 2nd church (1st had been destroyed in the 4th century) built by Constantius II (son of Constantine) in 532 and was burned down.  Justinian I rebuilt it and rededicated it in 537.  Between 1204-1261 it was converted to a Roman Catholic Cathedral during the Latin occupation.  It was then converted into a Mosque by Mehmed II in 1453 after the Turks gained control of Constantinople.  

So Yes, Rick this is one of the very few example across the folds of history where the Islamic conquerors converted a Church into a Mosque.  Why would they do it in this instance when they had forgone this action in countless others.  Well, the Hagia Sofia is considered one of the truly great architectural marvels in human history as a fine example of Byzantine Engineering and Artistry.  It influenced architecture around the world (especially amongst Islamic communities) and was greatly revered.  Want to know something else?  Islamic President of Turkey, Kemal Ataturk, secularized the Hagia Sofia in 1935 and it is now known as the Ayasofya Museum.  So I guess you can't even use this example anymore.  

That was their MO. But the point is, the tribes were already divided. The British simply took advantage of their distrust of each other. If they were really unified muslims, would they have become greedy and betrayed their brothers? They didn't consolitate them into highly unorganized segments, they backed the biggest tribe in the area and used them to conquer the others. It's a lot easier to control a country using their own people, than to bring in a lot of your own troops.

Whichever way they took advantage of the situation, its a lot more accurate to say that the British were only looking out for #1, not the well-being of the indigenous peoples of the Middle East which is what you made it sound like when you wrote:

"During the first World War, when the Ottomans aligned themselves with the Germans, the British aided the arab tribes in freeing themselves from the domination of the Turks. Perhaps you remember Lawrence of Arabia?"

Who's fault is it the oil wealth in the gulf isn't being distributed equitably? The US doesn't tell them how to run their economies or structure their societies. Those are muslim royals deciding how to distribute the largess.

You recommended Lawrence of Arabia to me, I'll recommend a movie myself.  If you think Western powers don't dictate to countries exactly how to run their economies, I suggest you watch "Syriana".

You are correct about how the societies are structured.  Power-hungry individuals gain everything from keeping the majority of people down and those are exactly the type of individuals the West wants in power (as long as they're pro-West of course).  Arabic people rising up and wanting to truly share in the freedom and pursuit of happiness afforded other societies (such as what Algeria tried to do in 1961 and what Iran did in 1936 and 1979), well..now, that's when the hammer has to come down because we have to keep the Power-hungry, selfish, murdering, Pro-western dictator in power by any means necessary!!  Hosni Mubarak in Egypt has disappeared more people than Saddam Hussein could EVERY DREAM OF!!  Hosni Mubarak is Pro-American and Pro-European, and coincidentally heavily supported and still in power.

They have a cute little muslim girl explaining why she hates the Jews.

If your whole life was poverty, hunger, desperation, homelessness, destitution, and despair exactly what kind of feelings would you harbor for the people down the road driving BMWs and living in high-rises...  

...you know what Rick, I have a suggestion for you.  Why don't you take a drive to South Dakota, Shannon County.  Go into the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation southeast of the Badlands and talk to a cute little Native American girl and see if you can figure out what kind of feeling she harbors for White Man.  

A bit of an overreaction over a cartoon wouldn't you say?

Not unless you realize that the depiction of a religious figure (ANY religious figure), in any form of media, by anyone, Muslim or not, is considered a mortal sin within Islam.  That is why there are no statues, movies, TV programs, theatre productions, much less harmful cartoon caricatures of any religious figures within Islamic communities, period!  But we can't expect sensitivity on this extremely important issue from Westerners, after all they've been so kind to these Arabs in so many other avenues. :rolleyes:

I never said they were the only ones! I say all of the world's power structures are guilty of violence in some form, and make use of bigorty in manipulating the populations. Religion has been and continues to be a vehicle for this, and that is inherently hypocritycal, since they advocate killing in God's name. Religion is supposed to be about supporting people and helping them to follow what is right. It shouldn't be about killing God's other children.

Religion isn't the cause and it isn't the source, its the excuse.  In eras past, Religion was the direct cause, nowadays its the excuse you give to get something you want.  A Jew on the border of the West Bank says they hate someone to gain land, money, power, security, and oh by the way, they're Muslim.  A Muslim says they hate someone for the same reasons, land, money, power, security, and oh by the way, they're Jewish.  Religion is the excuse, Rick.  The excuse used by small-minded and often-times desperate people to control and manipulate the FEW feeble souls who carry out their nefarious bidding.  It is by no means the majority of believers and by no means the tenants of any religion: be it Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, or any other Religion.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 06:27:10 PM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."