Author Topic: Webber Wants out of Philly  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Webber Wants out of Philly
« on: November 16, 2006, 05:28:58 PM »
And It's not Allen Iverson that's the issue.

In 3 of the 76ers for wins, Webber has sat the entire 4th quarter of the game.  His minutes are at an all-time low, and he's apparently talked to management about this.

Of course, the cynic would say if ye shot more than 37% or played anything resembling defense, you'd probably get more time.  But, as some people age (and get injured), they're able to deal with new roles.  Webber, apparently, is not.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/432..._out_of_philly/

SacBee (registration or bugmenot required):
http://www.sacbee.com/351/story/78321.html

Full Text:
Frustrated Webber wants out of Philadelphia

Chris Webber, frustrated by an increasingly reduced role, says he wants to be traded by the Philadelphia 76ers rather than continue as a second-half bit player.

"I'm not going to keep playing like this," Webber said after scoring six points in 23 minutes in Philadelphia's 96-90 victory Wednesday night in Seattle.

Webber said he has talked to 76ers management and made his feelings clear.

"I don't like this role," he said. "So, you can take that however you want."

The former Kings All-Star power forward, traded from Sacramento to Philadelphia in February 2005, is averaging just 30.6 minutes, a drop from the 38.6 in his first season with the 76ers. Spending the entire fourth quarter the bench on a 4-3 team has become common place.

Webber is especially frustrated because he feels he has made great strides in recovering from the knee injury that shadowed the end of his time with the Kings.

He said during training camp, that he was in his best shape since the surgery, only to get off to a very slow start of shooting 37.4 percent the first seven games.

Said 76ers coach Maurice Cheeks when asked if Webber is having a tough adjustment: "I'm sure. But this is a team game and we're trying to treat it as such. We're not trying to put a lot of individual things on what we're trying to do. I certainly understand it's hard. It's a difficult situation. But we're trying to do this as a team and not break it down."

The harsh truth is right now this team plays better with undrafted Shavlik Randolph on the floor.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 05:30:03 PM by dbodner »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 05:32:06 PM »
Door/ass.
Hope the 6ers can get something for this collasal Billy King mistake.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 05:42:37 PM »
Figures.

Webber was in Sacramento, opening his new restaurant, on an off-day this week. In "private" conversations with some local media types he has a good relationship with, he indicated he greatly misses Sacramento and would not mind returning. The way it was worded by the radio guys who were privy to the conversation, was that Sacramento misses Webber, and his response was, "the feeling is mutual".

Not going to happen, but there you go.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 05:59:00 PM »
Just another selfish, donkey maneuver to add to his long list.  

"I'm not going to keep playing like this," Webber said after scoring six points in 23 minutes in Philadelphia's 96-90 victory Wednesday night in Seattle.

Note to Webber:  Your team won!  You might look like less of a jackass if you complained about PT after a loss.  Oh, who am I kidding?  At this point there’s nothing you can do to look like less of a jackass.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 06:14:36 PM »
I agree with what you all are saying but...why is he on the bench the entire 4th quarter?  Was it a matchup reason each time?  Or was he getting away from the game plan in each game?   I don't agree with him crying about a different, reduced role nor do I agree with him crying about playing less minutes.  I do however agree that he should at least see the floor in the 4th quarter for a little bit.  He may not be Kings Webber but he certainly is not a worthless player.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 06:47:55 PM »
I do however agree that he should at least see the floor in the 4th quarter for a little bit.  He may not be Kings Webber but he certainly is not a worthless player.
Defense defense and defense.
3 of 4 Sixer wins he sat entire 4th.  So what's not to sit?

Perhaps Webber is feeding not only his but 6,000 other families.  Lord knows he could with 18 per year he has been getting.

Players like he and the partial below should be beyond thankful for the benefit amount for NBA Work Comp for injured or reduced capacity players (due to injury or "lost" skills)  These amounts are obscene.
Allan Houston (NY) ...........  $19,125,000  [retired 10/17]
Chris Webber (Phi) ...........  $19,125,000
Michael Finley (Dal) .........  $15,937,500  [released 8/15 add 2 mil Spurs]
Anfernee Hardaway (NY) .......  $15,750,000
Grant Hill (Orl) .............  $15,694,250
Jalen Rose (Tor) .............  $15,694,250 add Suns million
Keith Van Horn (Dal) .........  $15,694,250
Eddie Jones (Mem) ............  $14,576,250
Brian Grant (LAL) ............  $14,336,220  [released 8/10]
Antonio Davis (NY) ...........  $13,925,000
Theo Ratliff (Por) ...........  $11,666,666
Derek Anderson (Por) .........   $9,093,000  [released 8/3]

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 09:06:51 PM »
I would love to get rid of Webber.  He isn't playing better than last year, but much worse.  He takes these dinky little flat hook shots that clank off the rim.  I don't see any quick moves to the basket or a great pass to an open man.

On defense he is a major liability and only an adequate rebounder. The Sixer have enough quickness and height without him that they can put better players on the floor.

There's just one problem:  NO one will take Webber off the Sixers hands. 19 mil. this year and 22 mil. next.  A major albatross.

He should just shut up and try to play better when he's in there.  He may fool Cheek's into giving him more PT.