Author Topic: News around the league  (Read 1565 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
News around the league
« on: October 27, 2006, 10:11:24 AM »
Suns - They feel Amare is not working out hard enough to meet their goal of him being in playing shape by Tuesday.  Amare feels the opposite, saying he is training as hard as possible but his knees are flaring up.

Warriors - Back to Nellie bacl minus the T the M and the C.  Nellie feels if Baron stays healthy they could be a very good offensive team with the weapons they have around him.

Bulls - All the commentators are saying this is the deepest team in the league now.  Big Ben seems to really be clicking with his new squad.

Lakers - suffering from injuries to 3 starters who are expected to be out for another few weeks except Kobe who is suppose to play Tuesday against the Suns.  Says the knee is getting better although he did take 3-4 extra weeks off of intense training to make sure its 100%.  Made a comment that the knee feels better then it has since he got into the league.

Clippers - Still waiting on an extension for Mike Dunleavy's contract.  The hold up apparently has been that he wants to make sure they take care of Chris Kaman and Elgin Baylor first.  The Clippers have put 50 million on the table for Kaman and he has until the end of the week to make his decision.  If not he becomes an unrestricted free agent.  Clippers are set to match anything at the end of the year if that does become the case.

Denver - Kenyon Martin is back and looks to be in good shape.  Says the knee is feeling much better.  Camby is out with foot injury for a few weeks.  Andre Miller is BEEFY, George Karl is trying to play him into shape with heavy pre-season minutes.  Melo, comming off an awesome off-season with the USA basketball team, looks to be in top form.  Recieved Joe Smith for Ruben Patterson.  Karl feels it was a win win trade for both squad due to the fact they have plenty of SF's on this team.

Kings - Feel they have a strong core of guys .  The Kings are going to play a much more uptempo brand of basketball, they want to be high up on the list on fast break points.  Of course will also be trying to improve their defensive mindset even more then they did last year.    Eric Musselman should be suspended for the first few games of the season for getting pulled over for a DUI last weeked in Sacramento.

Miami - Wade may opt out of the USA Basketball team.  Says the amount of fatique he is feeling right now is too much and doesn't know if he will be able to fulfill his duties next summer.  That to me sounds like a major problem if he is so tired at this point since the season has not started and defending your title is a very draining task.

Bucs - Dealt Joe Smith for Ruben Patterson.  TJ Ford is gone (did he get traded anyone know).

Those are all the ones I remember for the most part.  Thoughts, comments, any additions from your favorite team?

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
News around the league
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 10:25:33 AM »
T.J. Ford was traded to Toronto for Charlie Villanueva.  T.J. has looked alright in pre-season but Calderon is making him earn the right to start.  

Charlie V. seemed to be doing very well and then just exploded last night with 25 and 12 + 2 blocks.  Of course it was in double OT.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
News around the league
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 10:27:35 AM »
T.J. Ford was traded to Toronto for Charlie Villanueva.  T.J. has looked alright in pre-season but Calderon is making him earn the right to start. 

Charlie V. seemed to be doing very well and then just exploded last night with 25 and 12 + 2 blocks.  Of course it was in double OT.
TNT's crew seems to feel that Toronto is a big sleeper team this year and people are counting them out before the seasone ven starts.  I am one of them , Raptors did not come to my mind, but I looked at their squad and it looks good on paper.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 10:29:32 AM by westkoast »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
News around the league
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 01:14:07 PM »
Good piece, westkoast

First off, Chicago, with Ben Wallace, will compete for sure this year. They have balance, are very deep, and with Wallace, have a guy who knows what it takes to get to that next level.

Kobe's knees may be fine now, but knees and the NBA are never a good long-term relationship. I don't want to imply that this is the beginning of the end of the run by the best player in the NBA, but when the knees start getting operated on, it seems to go south for that player. It is a shame; I would expect Kobe to come out firing early in the season, but after sixty games or so, you probably will start to notice a dropoff in his play. Hope I am wrong about that, because as much as I have dissed Kobe, he is truly the best in the NBA today.  

The Kings are in a bit of a decline. Artest will force them to play better, at least he did last year when he joined SacTown, and Musselman is extremely well-organized and a dynamo in practice so his players will definitely be in better shape, but the talent is iffy after Bibby, Miller, Ronnie, and I will throw Kevin Martin into that mix.

Backup point guard is not going to be too good with John Salmon or Jason Hart - Ronnie Price is the future there, but he is still learning to play the point after a college career as the scoring guard. Garcia is going to be good - very good. Terrific upside to him, in fact. But not for four or five years into his career and this is only his second year. Our #1 draft pick, with the unfortunate name of Quincy Douby, was also a shooting guard in college who is being converted into a point guard. Not much help there this year.

After Miller, we have Maurice Taylor as the backup center, fresh off the Knicks squad. At 6'9", we may see him only in spots, but he can score a bit. Musselman is testing Sharif Abdur-Rahim in the backup center spot, but as he proved against the Hornets this week, he is not up to going up against bigger, taller centers. Vitaly Potapenko is being kept, it looks like, so his end of the bench doesn't fly up when Musselman puts other bench players into the game.

The biggest problem is at power forward. Kenny Thomas????? His contract goes out forever and at 6'7", he can simply blow by bigger, but slower PF's in the League. But guarding them? Teams will eat him alive. SAR is going to play plenty, but he is just not the answer either, and Corliss Williamson can come in and still score, but his is just a slower version of Thomas on defense.

Rebounding went out the door with Bonzi Wells. None of the top ten guys in the depth chart can essentially dominate the boards for the Kings. It will need a team effort, to say the least.

All that said, this season I can see Kevin Martin becoming the answer to the questions "Who is that guy and why haven't we heard of him before?" He is likely to get around twenty points a night without looking like he has been that effective. He won't ever be a superstar, but he could become a very good NBA player. Good defender too. He, Garcia, and Price all look like solid future NBA players, but the learning curve is still going up for all three.

Artest works hard, very hard. Say what you will about the guy, no one on the Kings, including that gym rat Mike Bibby, comes close to Ron Artest when it comes to putting in the time to improve. He also helps the rookies out, advising them on the NBA game. He has been a model citizen and he listens and implements exactly what Musselman asks of him. This is not at all the guy who left Indiana a shambles.
He has grabbed the leadership role with gusto and other then Mike Bibby, no one on the Kings comes close to being able to handle that role.

Whether that will be true at the end of the season will dictate where the Kings end up - in the post season or the lottery. If Artest messes up somehow, it will be the lottery.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
News around the league
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 02:27:48 PM »
Good piece, westkoast

First off, Chicago, with Ben Wallace, will compete for sure this year. They have balance, are very deep, and with Wallace, have a guy who knows what it takes to get to that next level.

Kobe's knees may be fine now, but knees and the NBA are never a good long-term relationship. I don't want to imply that this is the beginning of the end of the run by the best player in the NBA, but when the knees start getting operated on, it seems to go south for that player. It is a shame; I would expect Kobe to come out firing early in the season, but after sixty games or so, you probably will start to notice a dropoff in his play. Hope I am wrong about that, because as much as I have dissed Kobe, he is truly the best in the NBA today.  

The Kings are in a bit of a decline. Artest will force them to play better, at least he did last year when he joined SacTown, and Musselman is extremely well-organized and a dynamo in practice so his players will definitely be in better shape, but the talent is iffy after Bibby, Miller, Ronnie, and I will throw Kevin Martin into that mix.

Backup point guard is not going to be too good with John Salmon or Jason Hart - Ronnie Price is the future there, but he is still learning to play the point after a college career as the scoring guard. Garcia is going to be good - very good. Terrific upside to him, in fact. But not for four or five years into his career and this is only his second year. Our #1 draft pick, with the unfortunate name of Quincy Douby, was also a shooting guard in college who is being converted into a point guard. Not much help there this year.

After Miller, we have Maurice Taylor as the backup center, fresh off the Knicks squad. At 6'9", we may see him only in spots, but he can score a bit. Musselman is testing Sharif Abdur-Rahim in the backup center spot, but as he proved against the Hornets this week, he is not up to going up against bigger, taller centers. Vitaly Potapenko is being kept, it looks like, so his end of the bench doesn't fly up when Musselman puts other bench players into the game.

The biggest problem is at power forward. Kenny Thomas????? His contract goes out forever and at 6'7", he can simply blow by bigger, but slower PF's in the League. But guarding them? Teams will eat him alive. SAR is going to play plenty, but he is just not the answer either, and Corliss Williamson can come in and still score, but his is just a slower version of Thomas on defense.

Rebounding went out the door with Bonzi Wells. None of the top ten guys in the depth chart can essentially dominate the boards for the Kings. It will need a team effort, to say the least.

All that said, this season I can see Kevin Martin becoming the answer to the questions "Who is that guy and why haven't we heard of him before?" He is likely to get around twenty points a night without looking like he has been that effective. He won't ever be a superstar, but he could become a very good NBA player. Good defender too. He, Garcia, and Price all look like solid future NBA players, but the learning curve is still going up for all three.

Artest works hard, very hard. Say what you will about the guy, no one on the Kings, including that gym rat Mike Bibby, comes close to Ron Artest when it comes to putting in the time to improve. He also helps the rookies out, advising them on the NBA game. He has been a model citizen and he listens and implements exactly what Musselman asks of him. This is not at all the guy who left Indiana a shambles.
He has grabbed the leadership role with gusto and other then Mike Bibby, no one on the Kings comes close to being able to handle that role.

Whether that will be true at the end of the season will dictate where the Kings end up - in the post season or the lottery. If Artest messes up somehow, it will be the lottery.
Ditto about the Bulls and Kobe.  The Bulls had a good squad last year but the pieces they have added since only makes them all that much better.  I think grabbing Ben Wallace was one of the best moves in the entire off-season.

You are right about the knee.  Regardless of what he says the knee can't be as strong as it was when he was 18 because he has had surgery and he has been in the league for 10 years.   Although I have it flipped in terms of how his knee feels.  I think he will start off slower and feel better later.  He is a very well condition athlete but anytime you have surgery on your knees it is scary.  The timming and lift will not be there.  Nor will he be in playing shape for the first month or so.    Plus I thought that it is actually that second year you come back from that surgery where your knee feels the best?

I don't feel the Kings are in a decline.  I felt they were declining after 2003 but I feel like they have a young team that is on the upswing with some new talent.  Maybe not right this year but in the next few years.  With that said, now that I think of it, losing Adleman and Bonzi makes this team a little bit weaker then last year.

Personally I like to see a team like the Kings somewhat rebuilding and doing some internal growth.  I think Kevin Martin is gonna be great this year and we can expect good contributions from Ronnie, Mike, and Brad.  Others as you have mentioned may not fit perfectly or contribute great deals but heck, you never know!    One does have to wonder if Eric is working his players a little bit too hard right now.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
News around the league
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 02:57:07 PM »
Hope I am wrong about that, because as much as I have dissed Kobe, he is truly the best in the NBA today.  

http://www.alz.org/AboutAD/Warning.asp

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
News around the league
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 03:16:00 PM »
Charlie V. seemed to be doing very well and then just exploded last night with 25 and 12 + 2 blocks.  Of course it was in double OT.
WHAT?!?!  "Charlie V." has struggled GREATLY with the move, and has even been quoted as saying as much.  He says he needs more time and that picking up the Bucks system has taken longer than he anticipated.  It wasn't until last night's game that the stat sheet reflected anything resembling a good game for Villenueva.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
News around the league
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 04:55:21 PM »
Hope I am wrong about that, because as much as I have dissed Kobe, he is truly the best in the NBA today. 

http://www.alz.org/AboutAD/Warning.asp
I'd be pissed if I could remember who the hell you are.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."