Author Topic: Movie Reviews  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Movie Reviews
« on: March 12, 2004, 06:35:29 PM »
Starsky and Hutch:  Fair to midland, nothing else.  Superb camera work, retro 70s sets.  My beef is the storyline.  While okay, that's all it is.  No comparison to Zoolander or some other Ben Stiller movies.  Snoop Doggy Doo is actually very good as Huggy Bear in Starsky and Hutch.  When Hutch takes artificial sweetner that is actually cocaine in his coffee, i thought they could have played with that tons more.  The dance off was good tho.

Miracle:   Not into Hockey but i hear its very good.

50 1st Dates.  nah.  Saw it.  Fairly lame, good ending tho.

Pool Hall Junkies.  Watching it this weekend.

Secret Window:  Looks creepy and Johny Depp can only do comedy roles.

Saved:  Devane George, Dereek Fisher, WOW, Randy, Dan, and Westkoast are seeing it together.  Ask them.

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
Movie Reviews
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 07:56:52 PM »
I was waiting for you to start another movie thread

"50 First Dates" stank bigtime. It was so dumb I didn't stick around for the ending. The acting was bad, bad, bad.

"The Passion" was OK. Acting was good, but in general the movie was overdramatized. Watching Jesus get beaten up over and over really left me feeling more numb than moved. I think Gibson tried to focus on too narrow a gap of time in Jesus's life, and you really didn't get a good feel for who Jesus was and what he stood for. That's not a problem for those familiar with the New Testament, but for others it was basically a movie about watching a religious figure get beaten up over and over and finally crucified. Gibson did interesting things with the character of Satan: who was portrayed as a cloaked figure, a snake, and a band of violent children chasing Judas. My advice is save yourself some money and just wait for the movie to come out in video. It's not worth the $8.50 for a ticket.

On video, I saw "The Missing", "The English Patient" (yep, only just getting around to that one), "Intolerable Cruelty", "Pay if Forward", and "American History X". "The Missing" was interesting at the beginning but evolved into another western, portraying the Indians as bunch of no-good savages. Not being a fan of westerns, I was disappointed. "The English Patient" was good, but difficult to follow. It's one of those movies you probably have to watch twice to really understand everything that was going on. Intolerable Cruelty was so not funny; I was really disappointed. "Pay It Forward" was OK, and the ending really stank (there are better words to describe it but I'm trying to honor Laker Fan's language guidelines). The best movie of this group was "American History X", which I never heard of but a friend at work told me about it. It was well-acted, interesting, but had a real downer for the ending. But the sad ending seemed more fitting for this file than it did for "Pay It Forward".

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Movie Reviews
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 03:20:00 PM »
Didnt like Saved but that damn George character kept jumping up anytime someone would even act like they were going to stand up.  Then someone lightly bumped Fish in line and he ended up flying into the candy stand.....crazy crazy night.

I haven't been to the movies in forever.  Nothing has really stood out to me.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 03:20:54 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Movie Reviews
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 03:25:19 PM »
Haven't been to the movies (have a newborn remember), but I did see:

School of Rock:  Very good family movie. Didn't ROFL but I did chuckle a few times, would recomend it.  Family Guy Seasons 1-3, of course, HIGHLY recommend.

If you ever want the scoop on a flick, and you know your not going to go pay to see it, then check out www.themoviespoiler.com.  Great recaps.

On Audio: I heard George Lopez's comedy sketch cd's, MAN, haven't laughed that hard in a long time!  Send a copy of Spurx3, think he "liketed it." :lol:  
Paul