Author Topic: Kings win by.....  (Read 957 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Kings win by.....
« on: April 11, 2006, 11:54:24 PM »
Jomal,

What was that?  After the Kings are leading by 17 at halftime, Phx outscores Sac 72-42.  Yes Randy I am just reading the box score.  Actually i followed it on the ticker a bit.  Now that i look at the stats i have no idea how:

When fg%, O rebs D rebs steals and turnovers are all about the same, Phx gets 17 more field goal attempts.  How can that happen?  Is the rule still when one team makes a basket the other team gets the ball?  I need to know where a 30 point differential came from.  

Before anyone answers bear in mind the above is while the Kings shot 43 FTAs to 17 Phx.  

Apparantly the 1st half stats do a complete flip flop compared to the 2nd half stats? :huh:

Combining that with Golden States 54-50 lead over the now #7Lakers becoming behind by 12 in two minutes and I don't see how I am going to get to spend $2000 on a limo from The OC to Staples to watch POOR Kobe vs the #1Spurs.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 12:04:03 AM by Reality »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Kings win by.....
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 09:22:46 AM »
Phx gets 17 more field goal attempts.  How can that happen?  

Before anyone answers bear in mind the above is while the Kings shot 43 FTAs to 17 Phx.  

Sactown shot FTs

Suns shot FGs

FT count 1 point.

FG count 2 points.

All other things being equal I would rather my team make more FGA (and if % is same then more FGM) than FTA.

Disclaimer:  I didn't even look at the boxscore or any article.  I responded from reading ONLY Reality's ramblings and applied common sense.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Kings win by.....
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 10:16:41 AM »
Disclaimer:  I didn't even look at the boxscore or any article.  I responded from reading ONLY Reality's ramblings and applied common sense.
Isn't that special.
You took a break from Playstation to respond.

When you figure out how Phx got 17 more shots, yeah those kind that count for t-w-o points, let me know.

Then we can work on how you spell "Jomal".

Not going anywhere for a while.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Kings win by.....
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 10:46:57 AM »
Suns with ball: Nash races downcourt with the ball, passes to Marion on the wing, shot up.  1 FGA

Kings with ball:  Bibby walks the ball up, passes to Miller at high post, hits a cutting Artest, goes up for the shot & fouled .  2 FTA.

Suns with ball: See first line but substitute Bell, Diaw, House, etc for Marion.  Another FGA.

Kings with ball:  Bibby gets screen from Miller and drives the lane.  Nash grabs him and there is a foul.  And since it is the 5th foul of the quarter on the Suns Bibby goes to the line.  2 more FTA.

Four possessions.  Suns 2 FGA, 0 FTA.   Kings 0 FGA, 4 FTA

Or another way to look at the game:
Suns: 86 FGA + 17 FTA = approx 94 possessions (FGA + 1/2 FTA)
Kings: 69 FGA + 43 FTA = approx 90 possessions

Suns +6 on the boards accounts for the difference.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Kings win by.....
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 10:59:22 AM »
And just in case you think my scenario is whack....here is an excerpt from the actual boxscore....my comments in bold

1:38 Shawn Marion misses 9-foot jumper 47-62   Suns 1 FGA
1:36   47-62 Brad Miller defensive rebound
1:25 Steve Nash personal foul (Brad Miller draws the foul) 47-62  
1:25   47-63 Brad Miller makes free throw 1 of 2
1:25   47-64 Brad Miller makes free throw 2 of 2   Kings 2 FTA
1:06 Shawn Marion makes two point shot 49-64   Suns 2nd FGA
0:49 Shawn Marion personal foul (Ron Artest draws the foul) 49-64  
0:49   49-65 Ron Artest makes free throw 1 of 2
0:49   49-66 Ron Artest makes free throw 2 of 2  Kings 3rd & 4th FTA
0:41 Shawn Marion makes driving dunk 51-66  Suns 3rd FGA  
0:29 Leandro Barbosa shooting foul  51-66  
0:29   51-67 Ron Artest makes free throw 1 of 2
0:29   51-68 Ron Artest makes free throw 2 of 2  Kings 5th & 6th FTA
0:19 Raja Bell misses driving layup 51-68  Suns 4th FGA  
0:18 Phoenix offensive rebound 51-68  
0:03 Brad Miller blocks Leandro Barbosa's driving layup 51-68  Suns 5th FGA

Final tally:  
Suns 5 FGA, 0 FTA    
Kings 0 FGA, 6 FTA
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 10:59:51 AM by Lurker »
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Kings win by.....
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 12:41:16 PM »
It was a team effort.

The Kings were quite obliging to the Suns by missing 14 FT's, turning the ball over 16 times, and reverting to their patented madador defense in the second half, but I really can not explain how the Suns still shot 17 more field goals then the Kings. For one thing, the Suns did not waste much time in shooting the ball in the second half, while Lurker's play-by-play analysis pretty much indicates that the Kings fell in love with a half-court offense that was too deliberate and time-consuming.

The one thing the Kings have had in common before and after Artest's arrival has been their tendency to give up if the other team starts a run. Before Artest came, though, it was much, much worse. Now, at least, they make a harder effort in the next game after disgracing themselves (Like the debacle in Dallas followed by winning in San Antonio).

Most teams would stop doing what is not working and go back to ball-movement and steadier defense to slow down the opponent. The Kings prefer to continue doing what is not working on offense, and prefer to just yell out "oh, yeah, well let's see if you can make that shot again!" on defense.  

I have to admit, the Kings ARE arrogant.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Kings win by.....
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 12:56:38 PM »
And just in case you think my scenario is whack....here is an excerpt from the actual boxscore....my comments in bold

Lurker.

1st half your theory is indeed solid.  And I may agree it holds for the 2nd half, however...

What about 2nd half?  That is when the 30 point swing occured.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Kings win by.....
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 12:58:38 PM »
Or another way to look at the game:
Suns: 86 FGA + 17 FTA = approx 94 possessions (FGA + 1/2 FTA)
Kings: 69 FGA + 43 FTA = approx 90 possessions

Suns +6 on the boards accounts for the difference.
 :hail:  That is making total sense.