Author Topic: I thought Big Baby still played for LSU???  (Read 1447 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
I thought Big Baby still played for LSU???
« on: April 04, 2006, 02:38:20 PM »
Shaq lashes out at refs, Jackson after loss

April 3, 2006

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Shaquille O'Neal didn't mince words about the five personal fouls he got in Miami's loss to the New Jersey Nets, taking aim at referees and NBA senior vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson.

"That was the most ridiculous game I've ever been part of," he said Sunday after the 90-78 loss. "When you got a guy like Stu Jackson at the top, it shows why referees are the way they are. It starts at the top.

"There was a lot of flopping today and they just fell for it. They make these rules up and they don't follow them. We all know there's a double standard. I just wish they wouldn't make it so obvious."

O'Neal picked up two offensive fouls in the first half, one for elbowing New Jersey's Jason Collins in the jaw in the lane. He picked up three more fouls in the third quarter when the Nets outscored Miami 32-19, including two fouls in a span of 11 seconds.

Heat coach Pat Riley added his voice to the complaints.

"There is a huge double standard here," he said. "They got the double forearm on him, they say it's a hand. Shaq's a pretty strong guy, but Collins does a good job on him. He turns in, it's a foul on him. They're pushing and shoving at him all the time."

He said if a team complains too much about it, the league issues a fine.

"We're caught between a rock and a hard place," Riley said.

The NBA on Monday said it was reviewing the comments.

O'Neal is tied for the league lead in personal fouls this season with Atlanta's Al Harrington at four per game.

Damned refs!!!!

How dare they actually call an elbow to the jaw of the defender an offensive foul!!! If those bastards called it every time O'Neal used that tactic, Lord only knows how ineffective Shaq would have been in his career.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 02:55:36 PM »
You mean the original big baby from LSU?

Here lies the real problem...Shaq just doesn't have the same mobility and footwork he once did.  Simple logic tells you that his decline in those departments have led to a rise in offensive fouls.  Now he will finally realize it wasn't his size that made him the player he is, it was actually his ablity to move so well at that size that put him in a class all his own.

Stu Jackson is a clown though I lost all respect for him ever since Ray "Soft Serve" Allen called him up like a lobbyist over the Bowen incident.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 02:56:55 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 05:16:03 PM »
Damned refs!!!!

How dare they actually call an elbow to the jaw of the defender an offensive foul!!! If those bastards called it every time O'Neal used that tactic, Lord only knows how ineffective Shaq would have been in his career.
Well, of course it is a double standard.  When Karl Malone knocked out DRob with his elbow Robinson was called for the defensive foul.  Collins is lucky that the refs don't call games based on precedent.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 08:56:40 PM »
Damned refs!!!!

Well, of course it is a double standard.  When Karl Malone knocked out DRob with his elbow Robinson was called for the defensive foul.  Collins is lucky that the refs don't call games based on precedent.
I think the refs called that foul on DRob because they were soo tired of watching him play like a wuss all the time -- it's a good thing he had Avery Johnson to go run and hide behind during his career!  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 11:55:00 AM »
Now, now, boys, let's not bring back the issues regarding DRob and Malone. They have their place in NBA history as well as the design of mouthguards.

The question is whether Shaq has a clue as to when an opponent is actually flopping or legitamately flaying backwards with his teeth scattering all over the court.

It is a fine line, to be sure, but should Stu Jackson be held accountable for it?  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 01:21:33 PM »
Now, now, boys, let's not bring back the issues regarding DRob and Malone. They have their place in NBA history as well as the design of mouthguards.

The question is whether Shaq has a clue as to when an opponent is actually flopping or legitamately flaying backwards with his teeth scattering all over the court.

It is a fine line, to be sure, but should Stu Jackson be held accountable for it?
No Stu Jackson shouldn't be blamed.  How Shaq thinks this has anything to do with Jackson, I am not sure.  Calling flops/legit fouls is not easy to do especially when guys like Fisher and Manu are so good at it.  I think they could do a better job of it but like I said, its not that easy to do in the flow of the game.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 03:17:25 PM »

No Stu Jackson shouldn't be blamed.  How Shaq thinks this has anything to do with Jackson, I am not sure.  Calling flops/legit fouls is not easy to do especially when guys like Fisher and Manu are so good at it.  I think they could do a better job of it but like I said, its not that easy to do in the flow of the game.
I think that's a cop-out, westkoast.  Jackson is responsible for the officiating, and currently, for blocks/charges, it's pathetic.

While I can't say for certain about the NBA rule, the college charging rules are pretty crystal clear.  Most of these "flops" are blocking fouls, no matter how you slice it.  

The question for a referee should be whether you were stationary or giving ground and moved by contact, or whether you were moving (while not giving ground).

Truth of the matter is that there are TOO MANY offensive fouls called for charging.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 05:55:17 PM »

I think that's a cop-out, westkoast.  Jackson is responsible for the officiating, and currently, for blocks/charges, it's pathetic.

While I can't say for certain about the NBA rule, the college charging rules are pretty crystal clear.  Most of these "flops" are blocking fouls, no matter how you slice it.  

The question for a referee should be whether you were stationary or giving ground and moved by contact, or whether you were moving (while not giving ground).

Truth of the matter is that there are TOO MANY offensive fouls called for charging.
How is that a cop out?  Because I feel that Stu Jackson is not directly responsible for judgement calls made in the middle of a basketball game?  The rule is defined pretty clearly in text so what more can Stu himself do?  Watch each game and call each ref via cell phone if he thinks they made the wrong call?!  Those decisions are made at a split second in the flow of the game.  Quite a few made during fast breaks where the refs are not always at the best angle to make them (which is why I say have two stationary refs on each end).

As far as I know the college rule and the nba rule are the same thing.