Author Topic: Congratulations JoMal  (Read 2456 times)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Congratulations JoMal
« on: April 05, 2006, 10:46:58 PM »
That was a HUGE win, great all around effort, balanced scoring decent defense. I know Pop rested his stars, but still a good win over one of the deeper benches in the league and nice way to overcome the super human efforts of Ginobili and his ersatz protege' Oberto, what an incredible 6+ minutes he had.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 10:59:50 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Congratulations JoMal
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 12:33:22 AM »
I know Pop rested his stars,
You must have watched the game with Randy and KoastieKoast.

Pop played the starters plenty and the Kings were up 17 several times including mid 3rd qtr.  SAR in particular was taking it to Duncan.

Pop-A-Cement chose to stay with the starters again on a back to back.  Spurs are 53-7 when rested so bring on the Mavs friday night for the WC #1 seed clincher.

However the Spurs lost all of the 1st 3 qtrs they did win the 4th quarter by outscoring the Kings late.  In the last 6 minutes.  With Fabbs in. :cheers:  
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 12:34:54 AM by Reality »

Congratulations JoMal
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 08:24:52 AM »
It would be interesting to see how far Kings can take Spurs in the playoffs. My guess is atleast six games. No surprise even if Kings beat Spurs.

Guest_Randy

Congratulations JoMal
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 08:26:22 AM »
I just DON'T understand Pop's playing TD in a back-to-back.  First, they have already lost WAYYY too many of these games -- second, it's obvious that TD struggles tremendously in back-to-backs -- so why play him?  The Spurs have enough big men to play a game -- sure, they might lose the game but it's better to rest your star player.  I mean, the Spurs are deep and very solid but they STILL only go as far as TD is in the line-up.  If TD goes down, Parker, Manu, Bowen don't get those wide open looks any more and teams no longer have to double in the post (yeah, they are going to double Oberto  :rofl:).  

Pop is just being  :crazy: for playing TD in back-to-backs at this point!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Congratulations JoMal
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 09:57:26 AM »
Nope cuz I didn't watch the game but did you watch the game Reality because I see all the starters playing 30-35 minutes while the bench players were playing more minutes than usual.  Finley had 30, Barry had 34, Horry had 23, Rasho had 10, and flabs had 6 (3x as much as he normally gets)
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Congratulations JoMal
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 10:07:00 AM »
I just DON'T understand Pop's playing TD in a back-to-back.  First, they have already lost WAYYY too many of these games -- second, it's obvious that TD struggles tremendously in back-to-backs -- so why play him?  The Spurs have enough big men to play a game -- sure, they might lose the game but it's better to rest your star player.  I mean, the Spurs are deep and very solid but they STILL only go as far as TD is in the line-up.  If TD goes down, Parker, Manu, Bowen don't get those wide open looks any more and teams no longer have to double in the post (yeah, they are going to double Oberto  :rofl:).  

Pop is just being  :crazy: for playing TD in back-to-backs at this point!
Randy i never want to miss a chance to prop you when you are making total sense.

Not only Duncan, but in leaving Parker in the Kings were being very physical last night.  Alas he goes down not once but twice.  1st time clutching his leg, the same one he missed a game for last week.  Next it looks like (no replay from lame ESPN)Bibby gives him a total cheapo head bang, it opens up a gash on his head.

It is so obvious the starters more or less suck on b2bs.  At the start of last nights game Dallas was essentially 3 games behind as SA wins the tiebreaker.  It proved nothing.  ESPN had their man listen in to the huddle mid 3rd.   He reports Pop was repeatedly asking the players if they needed a rest.  Yeah like the players are gonna take themselves out.    

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Congratulations JoMal
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 11:25:43 AM »
YEAH, KINGS!!!!! :cheers:  :cheers:

Can't wait to catch the Spurs on the tail end of all those back-to-back games they play in the first round of the post season.

Odd that San Antonio fares so poorly on these back-to-back games, and this one was in San Antonio to boot, where they have now only lost five times all season.

But the Kings were coming off their own game the night before in Dallas, though admittedly, they looked like they rested quite well during that game, while the Spurs actually worked a bit harder to win their game the night before.

It is clear that Duncan must be insisting he is okay to play in these second nighters and Popovich defers to him, instead of just parking his butt on the bench for most, if not all, of these games. His foot is just not up to the pounding two nights in a row.  

That said.....YEAH, KINGS!!!! :cheers:  :cheers:

As one final little tidbit, Ron Artest has joined the ranks of players who publically diss Bowen's defense to the media:

Kings notes: Artest steams over Bowen's style of defenseBy Sam Amick -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Thursday, April 6, 2006
Story appeared in Sports section, Page C10

SAN ANTONIO - Bruce Bowen isn't making many friends these days.
First, the San Antonio small forward and renowned defensive player kicked Seattle's Ray Allen in the back recently, furthering what already was a heated rivalry.

Then during the Kings' 97-87 upset of the Spurs at the AT&T Center on Wednesday night, Bowen upset the one player who would seem most capable of understanding him.

If Ron Artest is crying foul about defense, something must be awry. And while the Kings' small forward clarified that he and Bowen remain on good terms, he said Bowen's tactics were nothing short of bad play.

"Bruce Bowen was smacking me the whole game," said Artest, who had 15 points, six rebounds, three steals and two blocks. "I couldn't believe it. He was just smacking me. I was like, that's not even legal. That's why I'm the Defensive Player of the Year. That's why. Because I play good defense. No gimmicks."

The two were cordial before tipoff, standing side by side while chatting about perceived injustices of the past.

"I love Bruce," Artest said. "I told him me and him should have been Defensive Player of the Year. (Detroit's) Ben Wallace already stole it from me three times."

While Wallace has won in three of the past four seasons, Bowen never has received the award. When Artest won in the 2003-04 season, some claimed that Bowen was the more deserving pick, leading Artest to tell the media that perhaps the two should square off in a game of one-on-one to decide the prize. Artest won the latest matchup, holding Manu Ginobili to eight points on 3-for-8 shooting.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Congratulations JoMal
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 12:27:54 PM »
It is no secret he gets away with more than others but coming from Artest? LOL.  Artest and Bowen both get away with little things because of their reputation as good defenders.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Congratulations JoMal
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 12:46:07 PM »
YEAH, KINGS!!!!! :cheers:  :cheers:

Can't wait to catch the Spurs on the tail end of all those back-to-back games they play in the first round of the post season.

Odd that San Antonio fares so poorly on these back-to-back games, and this one was in San Antonio to boot, where they have now only lost five times all season.
:up:  Nonetheless a good hard game by the Kings and they certainly are a different team with Artest.  I think they will challenge the Spurs should they play in Round 1.  Also I've been told the Parker gash was from a tv camera, not a Bibs headbutt.  Altho Bibs helped him find his way to the floor and camera. :D  

But yeah, 53-7 rested Spurs is confidence inspiring.  I think it's the reality of getting older along with a mindset of so many Spurs knowing its the playoffs that really count.  Another boardie summed it up like the below points.  I'll mostly agree and would add to the list Pops  :crazy: insistence on playing the Big 3 in this 16 hour Kings b2b game:

1) B2B
2) Tim had flu
3) Tim has PF
4) Det has HCA locked up. They pretty much locked it up beating Phx. They know it. We know it.
5) We have West HCA locked up. No way _allas is passing us. They know it, we know it.
6) Pop playing mind games with Kings. (Reality here I don't agree with this) Our intensity level will be about 8 notches higher when we face them in the playoffs. We'll seem like a completely different team to them. Anybody who wants to bet against us is throwing their money away.
7) Most importantly--- we won last year and 3 of 7. We don't have to win it every year. Have some perspective.

I'll (Reality) add:  The year the Spurs had their strongest finish and best record:
0.4 2nd round out.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 12:47:04 PM by Reality »

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Congratulations JoMal
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 12:49:11 PM »
It is no secret he gets away with more than others but coming from Artest? LOL.  Artest and Bowen both get away with little things because of their reputation as good defenders.

No they don't 'koast.  Come on, you should know by now that only Kobe and any player wearing purple and gold get the benefit of the doubt by the refs.  It's mandated by David Stern himself, everyone knows that.  Sheesh, get with it man!  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Congratulations JoMal
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 12:51:46 PM »
^^^ points 1 and 2.
BooHoo.  Kings also coming off b2b.  If Tim is still fluey, it was Pops decision to play him or not.  He had SuperFabbs on the bench ready to go.  So props to the Kings.  These were Spurs choices, shouldn't be used as excuses to take away from Kings.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Congratulations JoMal
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 12:52:23 PM »
The chances of the Kings winning the first round of the playoffs, to me, is slim to none, but Artest has vowed that the Kings will make it to the second round at least, so I will defer to him on these things.

Ron DID promise that the Kings would make the playoffs when we were still five or six games back, so even though we have not officially gotten into the post season, he has at least partially fulfilled that promise by getting us into the competition.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Congratulations JoMal
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 03:22:05 PM »

:up:  Nonetheless a good hard game by the Kings and they certainly are a different team with Artest.  I think they will challenge the Spurs should they play in Round 1.  Also I've been told the Parker gash was from a tv camera, not a Bibs headbutt.  Altho Bibs helped him find his way to the floor and camera. :D
Jomal,

Spurs gal at game and in locker room afterwords says:
It was not t.v. camera that caused the gash.  Tony got clubbed.
No one said it was an intentional foul to hurt him or that it was a cheap shot.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 03:22:42 PM by Reality »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Congratulations JoMal
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 04:07:43 PM »

:up:  Nonetheless a good hard game by the Kings and they certainly are a different team with Artest.  I think they will challenge the Spurs should they play in Round 1.  Also I've been told the Parker gash was from a tv camera, not a Bibs headbutt.  Altho Bibs helped him find his way to the floor and camera. :D
Jomal,

Spurs gal at game and in locker room afterwords says:
It was not t.v. camera that caused the gash.  Tony got clubbed.
No one said it was an intentional foul to hurt him or that it was a cheap shot.
I heard he got whacked in the head on a layup attempt and they used glue in the locker room to seal the cut.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Congratulations JoMal
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2006, 04:17:58 PM »
It is no secret he gets away with more than others but coming from Artest? LOL.  Artest and Bowen both get away with little things because of their reputation as good defenders.

No they don't 'koast.  Come on, you should know by now that only Kobe and any player wearing purple and gold get the benefit of the doubt by the refs.  It's mandated by David Stern himself, everyone knows that.  Sheesh, get with it man!
How funny, no comment from JoMaL about how Artest gets non-calls in his favor in the defensive end but will have no trouble typing up paragraphs about Kobe benefiting from favortism cuz he is known as a good scorer.