Author Topic: Has Artest changed  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Has Artest changed
« on: March 20, 2006, 04:37:12 PM »
With Chris Meyers.  I do not know when it was filmed, but it was shown yesterday on ESPN.

Meyers after talking about the injury Artest admits he gave to MJ prior to MJs last comeback.  They both agreed it definitely set MJ back, in fact Artest says MJ was not far off from the younger MJ and that he would have "for sure averaged 30+ points per game." had Artest not broke his ribs.

Meyers:  "Michael Jordan was obviously the best player of our modern era.  How about today, who is the top, the top #1 or #2 player?"

Artest:  (I'm paraphrasing but the meaning is 100% accurate).  I'm right there.  

Meyers:  (surprised)  "You think y-o-u are the #1 or #2 top player in the NBA today"

Artest:  "Yes."

Meyers went on to very diplomatically give props to Artest for being a top defender then tactfully asked him if his offense was #1 also.  Artest responded with words to the effect that he was at 24ppg at Indy, and now at Sac he is not the #1 option like Kobe is with the Lakers, therefore Kobe as #1 option sinks 30-35 pts per game.

Art-Testy, i think you are good, The Kings are obviously way better with you and I'm suprised no one offered more in a trade, but you are NOT the #1 or #2 player in the NBA.  Sorry.

guest-koast

Has Artest changed
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 04:54:26 PM »
Even if he got more touches per game he wouldn't be on the same level as AI, Kobe, Bron, Dirk on the offensive end.  He just is not that kind of scorer and looks very ackward on that end of the court.  Plus the only time he commands a double team is in the post.  When he is out on the perimeter he does not warrant a double team which doesn't give him the same chances to make plays as a Kobe, AI, Bron, Dirk, etc

On the defensive end I would say he's #1 or #2 with Bruce Bowen grabbing whatever spot he isnt.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Has Artest changed
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 12:23:35 PM »
Nothing like a little misplaced confidence in your game, or anything, but he can't score as consistently as those others to rank as high, but he clearly is a top ten candidate because of his defense and ability to motivate teammates.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Guest_Randy

Has Artest changed
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 02:29:40 PM »
Nothing like a little misplaced confidence in your game, or anything, but he can't score as consistently as those others to rank as high, but he clearly is a top ten candidate because of his defense and ability to motivate teammates.
Absolutely, JoMal -- he certainly motivated his teammates in Indy, didn't he?   :rofl:

I'm amazed at fans who think that players are simply going to "change" because they changed uniforms!  Yeah, keep thinking that! :rolleyes:  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Has Artest changed
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 06:17:14 PM »
Absolutely, JoMal -- he certainly motivated his teammates in Indy, didn't he?   :rofl:

I'm amazed at fans who think that players are simply going to "change" because they changed uniforms!  Yeah, keep thinking that! :rolleyes:
Randy, I didn't say that his ability to motivate teammates was always in a positive way, just that he is capable of getting a rise out of people, good AND bad.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

guest-koast

Has Artest changed
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 12:17:49 PM »

Randy, I didn't say that his ability to motivate teammates was always in a positive way, just that he is capable of getting a rise out of people, good AND bad.
Cant argue with the results so far.  Even if he does blow up again, he still helped Bibby, Miller, and Garcia grow a set of you know what and jump started them into playing like they should have been all season long.

rickortreat

Has Artest changed
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 01:13:42 PM »
From the interview it sounds like he hasn't changed at all, he's just happier in his new environment, for now.

The thought that he's the top player in the NBA is somewhat delusional.  As long as he works hard and tries to improve his game. that though won't hurt him, but typically people who think they're the best feel they have a right to sit back.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Has Artest changed
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 01:26:08 PM »
Cant argue with the results so far.  Even if he does blow up again, he still helped Bibby, Miller, and Garcia grow a set of you know what and jump started them into playing like they should have been all season long.
I think it would be safe to say the Kings would not be in the playoff hunt without the addition of Artest to the team.

Regardless of his past, and I was as critical of him as anyone, he has proven, at least so far, to be a solid leader for the Kings, who lacked any sort of leader prior to his coming to SacTown. If one criteria of a great player is his ability to make those around him better, he qualifies, because the results of his presence has been stunning on the other Kings' players.

His coming to Sacramento took much of the pressure off of Brad Miller and Mike Bibby, who were clearly uncomfortable as designated leaders of the team. He directed, and received, much of the media attention on to him, much as Chris Webber did when he was here. Neither Miller nor Bibby look particularly comfortable in front of reporters.

Guys like Bonzi Wells and Ron Artest carry so much prior luggage with them, any kind of crack in their demeanor will be exploited by the media as an "I told you so" scenario. Apparently, there will always be people out there who anticipate the future blowup and expect it to happen at some point. They have no room for error, in other words. If they are aware of this, and it would be hard for any of us to assume they aren't, they then should also be aware they have no options left to them but to concentrate on basketball and let the other stuff become their history rather then continue it into the present and future.

Sacramento is a good place for them to accomplish this. The fans are very supportive, making them comfortable, the media is not too critical, and we are far enough off the New York/ Los Angeles media capitals to not warrant constant scrutiny. The basketball style also is conducive to bringing out the best of their skills as well. From what I have heard, both Wells and Artest are very satisfied being here, and I could not believe that might have been the case prior to them coming here. Most players find it to their liking, for some reason.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 01:28:32 PM by JoMal »