Author Topic: The Lakers  (Read 2388 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Lakers
« on: March 09, 2004, 12:12:31 PM »
I got lucky this week and scored my company's third-row midcourt seats for the Lakers vs. Jazz. It's amazing what you see when you're right there. Here are a few of my observations.

1. Shaq is the largest human being I've ever seen. I mean . . . holy shnitt this guy is big.
2. Devean George leaves his feet more than any NBA player I've ever seen. I saw him get faked four times; I saw him leave his feet to pass the ball three times, and he even left his feet to catch a pass twice. I know the last isn't necessarily a bad thing, but man, this guy doesn't look like he belongs out there. He bounces around like some junior high player.
3. Poor Brian Cook. I was actually glad when he made a shot in the first half, because I felt so bad for the guy. He played as if his jock was around his ankles for much of the game. He got bailed out (by the same ref who tossed Shaq) on travelling on an inbounds pass after a score. Payton inbounded the ball to Cook, and Cook caught it and walked to the baseline to inbound the ball to Payton. It was funny. After a little conversation, the ref called an inadvertent whistle.
4. Gary Payton isn't enough. These Lakers aren't formidable at all with out BOTH Kobe and Shaq. I would have thought The Glove and The Daddy would be enough against this Jazz team. Payton had a decent game, but sometimes he looked downright lost. Arroyo had a couple of one-on-one steals on Payton, and Lopez made him look bad a few times on D. But then he'd hit some sweet layup in traffic.
5. Shaq got jimmied by that ref. On both of the technical calls, Shaq was guilty of a personal foul, maybe a flagrant, but tossing him was a little strange. Not that I minded; I was screaming "Left, right, left, right" with glee as Shaq stomped off the floor (I'd like to think he glared in my direction). But yeah, tossing a superstar out of the game like that was weird; but hey, I'll take it. By the way, Shaq can swear really loudly.
6. Shaq is a lazy basketball player. Besides getting the jimmy from the ref and getting beat up all night, Shaq played a lazy game. The Jazz don't have anyone that can deal with O'Neal when he really wants to score. He gave up an uncontested dunk to Greg Ostertag; he settled for awkward turnarounds when he's got the moves to beat anyone the Jazz could bring. He missed another point-blank dunk (yeah he was fouled, but his ball hand was untouched). I counted twelve times he passed out of single coverage deep in the paint. Four of those times he was guarded by Michael Ruffin. While I'm on Michael Ruffin, Shaq let Ruffin totally push him around. Ruffin even put Shaq on the floor once. The way Ruffin played Shaq, you'd think Ruffin should have left in a body bag; but Shaq just took it. He didn't contest very many shots.
7. Kareem Rush wants to be Kobe. He looked really good in the first quarter, and some of his offensive moves look exactly like Kobe's. In fact, after one fake and turnaround jumper, I could see and hear Kobe yelling from the bench, "Yo that's mine bro. That's mine!"
8. The Utah fans suck for booing Karl Malone. It was funny to watch security toss a couple of guys who held up a sign that said "Benedict Malone." Delta Center officials said the message was too complicated for Malone to understand. Karl supposedly was heard to say, "Dat foo wid dat sign don't know what he do, my name Karl Malone."
9. Andrei Kirilenko is everywhere.

Two best plays of the game: 1. AK47's right to left layup in the first half was sweet. 2. Raja Bell swats The Glove's break-away layup from behind and then dribbles down and drains a long jumper while Payton complains. Hee hee.

"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
The Lakers
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 12:36:04 PM »
Congrats Ted, you should be very proud of the effort your scrub team has put in this year. They compete with the NBA's best! If you were in the East, I would say Utah would have a shot at the Division title!
Paul

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
The Lakers
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 01:19:46 PM »
A win is a win right Ted?  No matter what happend with Shaq.  3rd row tho?  Impressive.  Ive never sat any closer than 10 rows back.  You can hear the players when they swear loud that far back but at 3 rows back I bet you could hear everything.  Whats the communication on the floor like for both teams?  

You were close enough to see what happend with one of the Jazz guards and Payton.....were they jawing or just talking?

Just like 101 said if this team was back east they would be a force.....too bad they are in the west.  Much props to the coach and the players for not looking at this as a throw away year.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 01:20:43 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

The Lakers
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 01:25:12 PM »
Excellent Ted! What a great night.

Hey as far as Malone goes, well obscenity is one thing but as far as booing hey that's sports.  

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
The Lakers
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 02:47:33 PM »
It's always an experience to remember. A few years back when I was dating a WordPerfect heiress, I got to sit on the floor for a Trailblazers/Jazz playoff game. That was cool.

As far as the communication on the floor goes, it's kind of interesting. There's very little talk going on between opposing teams. Only when there's an argument or confrontation of some sort. But teammates are always talking to each other, calling out screens, outlet passes and so forth. Gary Payton and Greg Anthony are exceptions. Both of those guys are talking to everybody it seems, especially Payton. I still laugh about the time that Larry Miller almost went after Greg Anthony. Hilarious.

But yes. It makes for an awesome night.

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
The Lakers
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 02:49:06 PM »
You dated a Bastian?  WOW!  
Paul

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
The Lakers
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 04:01:28 PM »
Not a Bastian. Her dad was basically the next guy after Ashton and Bastian. Too bad all the money in Utah can't buy you a hot bod. B)  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
The Lakers
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 04:27:52 PM »
What's really suprising is that you actually GOT A DATE. :blink:  
Paul