Author Topic: On a more personal outcome of the SB..  (Read 1578 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
On a more personal outcome of the SB..
« on: February 06, 2006, 03:00:21 PM »
One fallout of the Super Bowl is that the Oakland Raiders apparently have Ken Whisenhunt, the fabled archetect of the development of Big Ben Roethlisburger and the Pittsburgh offense, at the top of their list of candidates to become the next victim of...er... coach for....Al Davis.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AoJd...ov=ap&type=lgns

This is a positive, I think, for the Raiders, though keeping Whisenhunt or any other freshly hired Raider coach happy and in Oakland long enough for him to change things has proven completely futile for better known Davis recruits of the recent past.  

Al Davis' pathetic mantra of "Just win baby" has become a death derge, with Old Al squeaking out the words from behind his oxygen mask. His old time football philosophy of having a vertical game with apparently no regard for maybe just keeping your defense off the field with ball control and not wear it out for fourth quarter defensive stands has put his last five coaches in the same "rock and a hard place" locality that eventually squishes the creative life from these poor sufferers.

It is also so hard for these Raider coaches to watch their team practice while having to twist his head around constantly to see who is back there with a lynching rope and a mace being swung close to his head.

If the next Raider coach does not have the guts to kick Davis' walker out from under him if he so much as slithers near the playing field, he will join the long ranks of former Raider coaches who find happiness winning Super Bowls elsewhere.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 03:02:29 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 03:51:45 PM »
Well put  JoMal, a perfect encapsulation off all that is wrong with Raider Nation, although I must say, as a totally crazy huge follower of the team across the bay (you know, the ones with FIVE superbowl rings), I can't say that the Raider woes break my heart.
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 04:56:57 PM »
Well put  JoMal, a perfect encapsulation off all that is wrong with Raider Nation, although I must say, as a totally crazy huge follower of the team across the bay (you know, the ones with FIVE superbowl rings), I can't say that the Raider woes break my heart.
The Niners are my fallback team. Having been a die-hard Raider fan, they filled the void quite nicely during the LA hiatus, and I still think of them when I consider my all time favorite (meaning successful) team.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 05:42:24 PM »
San Diego will give Davis a comfortable retirement home in exchange for Raiders taking Marty Shot as coach.

Deal.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 06:07:34 PM »
San Diego will give Davis a comfortable retirement home in exchange for Raiders taking Marty Shot as coach.

Deal.
If Al Davis were to hire Marty Schottenheimer as coach, it would be to kill him. Marty absolutely despises Davis.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 06:07:47 PM by JoMal »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 06:20:44 PM »

Deal.
If Al Davis were to hire Marty Schottenheimer as coach, it would be to kill him. Marty absolutely despises Davis.
No i mean we will take Al Davis off your hands.  Perm retirement.  
You take MMMmmartyBall off our hands.

Yes MMmartys record vs Oakland is some incredible 24-7 or something like that.

Two birds, one stone.

guest-koast

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 06:50:07 PM »
Being a long time Raiders fan this makes me happy!!

Having the ability to look at Al Davis' past record makes me come back down from cloud 9.  Why does he even bother highering any coaches?  Why doesn't he just fire EVERYONE and do everything himself like he wants?  If the Raiders don't make the Superbowl next year if they get this guy (and I dont think they will) then Al Davis is going to rip as much creative control from him as he can.

guest-koast

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 06:50:43 PM »
Damn its horrible when you cannot edit posts

'highering'

SIGH.....

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 11:26:09 AM »
Damn its horrible when you cannot edit posts

'highering'

SIGH.....
If I could not edit my posts, I think I would go crazy. I have one of those 'ticks' that won't allow me to let misspelled words go, if I can figure out they actually ARE misspelled, that is.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 11:35:40 AM »
Al Davis' pathetic mantra of "Just win baby" has become a death derge, with Old Al squeaking out the words from behind his oxygen mask. His old time football philosophy of having a vertical game with apparently no regard for maybe just keeping your defense off the field with ball control and not wear it out for fourth quarter defensive stands has put his last five coaches in the same "rock and a hard place" locality that eventually squishes the creative life from these poor sufferers.

I was just thinking about the Raiders this morning as some of us were having some post-superbowl football chat.  Sad how one paragraph can sum up the last two decades of this team.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 11:49:18 AM »

Deal.
No i mean we will take Al Davis off your hands.  Perm retirement.  
You take MMMmmartyBall off our hands.

Yes MMmartys record vs Oakland is some incredible 24-7 or something like that.

Two birds, one stone.
You would take Mr. Al off our hands? Are we talking about a "forced" retirement?

There is a type of mental illness, sort of like megalomania or something, from which Al must suffer. He still thinks his way of playing the game of football is the only one that works.

He hated Shanahan for having the gall to install a form of the West Coast Offense, which he is on record as despising, thinking it is 'soft' football. Then he convinced himself that Shanahan lost the respect of his players because they had some trouble adapting to it.

Gruden has the rudeness to be too independent, and he featured a quarterback, Rich Gannon, who could not throw too far down field. This was never going to make Davis happy.  

White, Bugel, Callahan, and Turner all were weaker men who succumbed to the pressure of having everything they did undermined and ultimately ridiculed by their owner/boss. So, the choices are to hire a young guy who stands up for himself, gets the team to win again, but gets fired or let go because he has the audacity to win HIS way and not the "Raider" way. (Please, name one other franchise that has not changed its offensive play book in forty years!). Or, to hire an older guy who he can manipulate until the players realyze the poor guy has no say in what goes on and he completely loses the respect of his players.

Davis has always been known as a players guy, until you say or do something that goes against him in some way, like Dave Casper and Marcus Allen did. Then he tries to destroy your legacy and your career.

Personally, this guy simply has lived too long and his 'retirement' should be of the  permanent kind.