Author Topic: JoMal, are you mad at Webber also?  (Read 2024 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
JoMal, are you mad at Webber also?
« on: March 10, 2004, 11:14:52 AM »
I wonder if Webber is really healthy?  Sac-bee and other BBS rumors are that he's still in pain.  Kings, Wolves and Lakers may be in the same boat come playoff time, still trying to work major starter and bench compenents into the line-up.  Kings/Webber/BJax, Wolves/Kandi/Wally/Hudson and Lakers/Malone/Kobe.

Here's the article about Webber vs. Golden State:

Chris Webber's best might be yet to come, but it's likely his worst came out Tuesday during the Kings' 96-92 victory over Golden State at Arco Arena.
Webber was 2 for 21 from the field and showed no capacity to finish or power up against physical, athletic defenders. Webber had five points and a team-high 11 rebounds, but most of those came on his misses.

"I don't think this is anything to be over-analyzed," Webber said afterward. "I think it was one of those days everybody has."

Well, not really. Only players of Webber's status have coaches who let them go 2 for 21, as Philadelphia's Allen Iverson did Wednesday against the New York Knicks.
No matter. The Kings improved to 47-16.

"You can say it was horrible, horrific, terrible and a couple of words you can't use on TV," Webber said. "But that's about it. I felt very good. It wasn't knee-related. It wasn't leg-related. It was shot-related. It was wrist-related. It would have really, really hurt if we didn't get the win, but the guys came through."

Kings coach Rick Adelman said he wasn't surprised by the rough night.

"There was no secret that he was going to have ups and downs," Adelman said of Webber, who played 33 minutes. "He kept playing, and you're going to have to live with that. It's not like he hasn't been out nine months. And he's only been back a week.

"So I think it's a matter of him fighting through it and getting to the point where he feels comfortable. But I don't think anybody on our team shot the ball very well."

Actually, it was Webber and Brad Miller (3 for 13) who pulled Sacramento's field-goal shooting down to 38 of 94 (38.3 percent). It was the first time in 11 games the Kings won when failing to shoot 40 percent from the field.

But 21 offensive rebounds and 18-of-22 shooting from the free-throw line when the Warriors shot just 13 of 24 helped the Kings get over the hump.

Either Webber's prolonged presence in the game or his inability to score prompted the Arco faithful (?) to boo him in the third quarter.

Vlade Divac said he never likes to hear the home crowd boo its own player.

"Everybody has their own opinion," Divac said. "But we're all on the same page. C-Webb is in a special situation. He's trying to work his way back. He's not missing on purpose."

Webber said he would take the booing in stride.

"What can you do about it?" he said with a grin. "I'll remember it, but that's it."

Luckily for the Kings' fans, the threesome of Mike Bibby (21 points), Doug Christie (23 points, five rebounds, six assists and untold energy) and Peja Stojakovic (20 points) came through down the stretch.

Meanwhile, the Warriors - losers of six consecutive games - had numerous chances to take advantage of poor Kings play but could not.

Golden State was within 83-82, then missed six consecutive shots and went four minutes without scoring before Rusty LaRue hit a three-pointer to end the skid with 17.8 seconds left.

By that time, the Kings led 89-82, thanks to back-to-back baskets from Bibby, the first a jump shot after the guard used picks by Miller and Divac.

"The shot fell off, and I was lucky it went in," said Bibby, who shot 8 of 12 from the field. "But I got it because of great picks from those guys."

The Warriors (25-37) were led by Erick Dampier's 26 points and 18 rebounds.

Golden State coach Eric Musselman had an easy explanation for the Warriors' loss.

"Lack of converting from the foul line, Sacramento's rebounding and our three-point shooting (5 of 17)," Musselman said.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 05:29:46 PM »
Not so much mad as disappointed. He is not 100% yet, and it is showing up on defense. But last night, shooting 2 for 21, he should have been more involved with running the offense instead of just shooting. He and Miller combined to shoot 5 for 34 from the field. YIKES WHITE!!!!

We all assumed it would take him some time to acclimate himself back into the offense, but he appeared to adapt quickly. Hopefully this was just a short setback. But if he really does start to take shots that should be going to the shooters who have maintained the Kings' balance all year long (Peja and Bibby), then we have a problem, unless we can completely rely on him to hit those shots.

Since he kept on shooting even though he clearly was not helping, and Peja and Bibby were not struggling, I think he needed to be booed. If not for Christie's shooting night and the missed free throws by GS, that would have been a loss.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 06:56:42 PM »
Do you think it's rust or are the rumors of his injury not being healed valid?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 07:12:43 PM »
I don't see how his knee can possibly be completely healed. He can (usually) score, but his defense is where you can tell he does not have the lateral ability to stay with the more athletic forwards. But some of that probably is rust. I think he still does not quite trust it either.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 10:39:38 PM »
Wait, people boo outside of Philly?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile