Author Topic: Coaching Report Cards  (Read 2378 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Coaching Report Cards
« on: January 17, 2006, 02:02:26 PM »
Three coaching giants -- Larry Brown, Phil Jackson and Pat Riley -- have dominated the headlines. But if there were any justice, the little guy in Memphis would be getting all that publicity.

Nobody has done a better job this season than Grizzlies coach Mike Fratello, but he is toiling under the radar. Fratello has his team jockeying for home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs, remarkably impressive after an offseason in which team president Jerry West jettisoned a load of talent (Jason Williams, James Posey, Bonzi Wells, Stromile Swift and Earl Watson).

The Grizzlies are doing it the way Fratello's teams always have done it: with defense. Memphis entered the week holding opponents to a league-low average of 86.7 points and stood fourth in field-goal percentage defense. The Grizzlies' strength is their ability to keep opponents out of the lane, and that keeps Pau Gasol and Lorenzen Wright from being exposed inside.

On offense, Fratello has a defined pecking order that starts with Gasol. It's a concept embraced in earnest now that Williams and Wells have been shown the door.

Fratello's critics call him arrogant and controlling, but there is no denying that when it comes to the effort meter, Memphis tilts far to the right.

Despite entering the season with more than 600 career wins, Fratello seldom is mentioned as one of the game's elite coaches. But if he has a few more seasons such as this one, the diminutive Fratello should start to get the large helping of credit he deserves.

Grading the rest

A's

Mike D'Antoni, Suns: A. He has the perfect temperament for an NBA coach.

Flip Saunders, Pistons: A. If Saunders has a flaw as a coach, it's a secret.

B's

Rick Carlisle, Pacers: B+. He absolutely, positively refuses to allow nonbasketball issues to affect his coaching style or his team's play.

Gregg Popovich, Spurs: B+. Popovich presides over the most functional locker room in the NBA.

Jerry Sloan, Jazz: B+. The mystery remains unsolved: How does Sloan continue to get his teams to play harder than most others?

Mike Dunleavy, Clippers: B. So far, Dunleavy has done a commendable job of distributing shots and minutes.

Phil Jackson, Lakers: B. It's not easy to coach Kobe Bryant, but all things considered, Jackson does it pretty well.

Byron Scott, Hornets: B. Most had the Hornets as Western Conference cellar dwellers. Instead, they're thinking playoffs.

Terry Stotts, Bucks: B. See? He wasn't nearly as bad as he looked with Atlanta.

Lawrence Frank, Nets: B-. The team leads the Atlantic Division, which is right where it should be.

C's

Larry Brown, Knicks: C+. After breaking the Knicks down in November and December, Brown has begun rebuilding.

Mike Brown, Cavaliers: C+. The Cavs have been somewhat stagnant after their 9-2 start.

Dwane Casey, Timberwolves: C+. Something is missing in Minnesota, and we're not talking about Sam Cassell or Latrell Sprewell.

Avery Johnson, Mavericks: C+. Johnson gets docked one full grade for his part in lobbying to acquire center Erick Dampier.

Maurice Cheeks, 76ers: C. He had a distinguished career as a player, but his coaching career? Somewhat indistinguishable.

George Karl, Nuggets: C. There always seem to be issues just under the surface with Denver, and sometimes Karl is one of them.

Sam Mitchell, Raptors: C. He's doing as much as he can with the roster he has.

Mike Montgomery, Warriors: C. Montgomery's strength as an NBA coach is yet to be determined.

Scott Skiles, Bulls: C. Squeezing 47 wins out of last season's far-from-perfect team increased expectations this season.

Jeff Van Gundy, Rockets: C. Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, Bob Sura and Derek Anderson have been hurt. What's Van Gundy supposed to do?

Bernie Bickerstaff, Bobcats: C-. Injuries have hurt the Bobcats, but the team hasn't been able to build on early optimism.

Brian Hill, Magic: C-. You had to know Hill's walk-it-up style wasn't going to suit Steve Francis.

Eddie Jordan, Wizards: C-. Like Skiles, Jordan has been a victim of his team's overachieving ways last season.

Nate McMillan, Trail Blazers: C-. Any way you slice it, his team started the week with the worst record in the Western Conference.

D's

Rick Adelman, Kings: D+. He hasn't had a season this bad since he coached the Warriors in the mid-1990s.

Doc Rivers, Celtics: D. His best coaching job remains guiding a woefully thin Magic team to a 41-41 record in 1999-2000.

Mike Woodson, Hawks: D. He's probably not as bad as he looks with Atlanta.

Incompletes

Bob Hill, SuperSonics: Early returns indicate no discernible difference in the team's play since Hill took over for Bob Weiss.

Pat Riley, Heat: Riley will be judged by whether the Heat is playing in June.

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Coaching Report Cards
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 02:24:43 PM »
Pat Riley, Heat: Riley will be judged by whether the Heat is playing in June. [/QUOTE]
Fratello.  an upgrade over Jeff Van Gundy
Grading the rest

A's

Mike D'Antoni, Suns: A+  What more could you ask for.

Flip Saunders, Pistons: A 30-5.    

Rick Carlisle, Pacers: B+. He absolutely, positively refuses to allow nonbasketball issues to affect his coaching style or his team's play.  Concur.

Gregg Popovich, Spurs: B-.  Needs to have SuperManu on the floor to offest his own offensive stragegy shortcomings.

Jerry Sloan, Jazz: B+. The mystery remains unsolved: How does Sloan continue to get his teams to play harder than most others?  Concur.

Mike Dunleavy, Clippers: D  So far, Dunleavy has done a commendable job collecting his paychecks.

Phil Jackson, Lakers: A. It's not easy to coach Kobe Bryant, but all things considered, Jackson does it pretty well.

Byron Scott, Hornets: B. Most had the Hornets as Western Conference cellar dwellers. Instead, they're thinking playoffs.

Terry Stotts, Bucks: B. See? He wasn't nearly as bad as he looked with Atlanta.

Lawrence Frank, Nets: B-. The team leads the Atlantic Division, which is right where it should be.

C's

Larry Brown, Knicks: B+  Ha!  Lets see you, Phil Zen or anyone else have a better record with this roster.  Major roster changes coming or Larry will bail after next year.

Mike Brown, Cavaliers: D. The Cavs have been somewhat stagnant after their 9-2 start.

Dwane Casey, Timberwolves: C+. Something is missing in Minnesota, and we're not talking about Sam Cassell or Latrell Sprewell.

Avery Johnson, Mavericks: C+. Johnson gets docked one full grade for his part in lobbying to acquire center Erick Dampier.

Maurice Cheeks, 76ers: C. He had a distinguished career as a player, but his coaching career? Somewhat indistinguishable.

George Karl, Nuggets: B+. Losing Nene was huge.  Along with Camby and others for shorter times.

Sam Mitchell, Raptors: C.  dk

Mike Montgomery, Warriors: C.

Scott Skiles, Bulls: C. Squeezing 47 wins out of last season's far-from-perfect team increased expectations this season.

Jeff Van Gundy, Rockets: F. Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, Bob Sura and Derek Anderson have been hurt. What's Van Gundy supposed to do?  Win when they were all in.  He wasnt.

Bernie Bickerstaff, Bobcats: C-.

Brian Hill, Magic: C-.

Eddie Jordan, Wizards: C-. Like Skiles, Jordan has been a victim of his team's overachieving ways last season.  Either he has no offensive plan or Arenas is uncoachable.

Nate McMillan, Trail Blazers: D-. You chose to take money and this roster.

D's

Rick Adelman, Kings: D+. He hasn't had a season this bad since he coached the Warriors in the mid-1990s.

Doc Rivers, Celtics: D. His best coaching job remains guiding a woefully thin Magic team to a 41-41 record in 1999-2000.

Mike Woodson, Hawks: D. He's probably not as bad as he looks with Atlanta.

Incompletes

Bob Hill, SuperSonics:

Pat Riley, Heat: C- Announcing this would be his last year in midseason?  What was that.  They look out of gas and limp last night.  Concur its all good if he delivers a Finals appearance in June loss to Spurs.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 02:25:36 PM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Coaching Report Cards
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 02:45:31 PM »
I think Jerry Sloan deserves an A based on the performance of Utah in the last few weeks.  IMO his grade was damaged because of AK going down.  He is that important to the team yet they managed to at least play .500 ball with the defensive anchor and the best player giong down.  Now they are on the upswing and I believe in the #3 spot in the playoffs.  7 of their last 8 also I believe (correct me if I am wrong)

Flip, Pop, Dunleavy, D'Antoni  - A+  and I think there is really no need to explain for them.

Riles - C because they are treading water right now.  4-3 on their road trip, while that would be good for most teams this team is suppose to be a championship caliber team.  They lost to the Hornets and The Lakers...not exactly powerhouse teams and certainly not two teams who are going the distance in the playoffs.

Mo Cheeks - B- C+ because I think he is slowly pulling this team along but they still need time to gel and learn his coaching system.  I guess I would go as far to say as I would like to hold off on his grade until the end of this year.

Byron Scott - B especially over the past 2 weeks his team has given fits to teams like The Miami Heat and some of the other top teams in the league.

Larry Brown gets a B from you skand?  His team is 13-24.  Its not like he has NO talent on the team.  You can make a solid case for two of his players having talent, its just that the motivation and focus is lacking.  While its not all Brown's fault, thats his job is it not?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 04:04:31 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Coaching Report Cards
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 03:56:43 PM »
Larry Brown gets a B from you skand?

Actually I posted the article from the Yahoo site.  Don't remember the author now.  

I still haven't given my grades, yet, but I agree with you in that Larry Brown is getting a bit too much credit.

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Coaching Report Cards
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 04:14:29 PM »
My grades:

Pat Riley:  D
The Heat were expecting a boost from Riley.  He gets a D because his team needs to play more of it.

Bob Hill:  C-
I'm done defending Steve Francis.  He was supposed to be the leader and step up.  Hill's system gave him a chance to be the point guard he always promised to be - and Francis let me down again.  

Eddie Jordan:  B-
You can't replace Larry Hughes with a career back-up and expect anything.  Jordan has had to re-vamp his entire offensive scheme in losing Hughes and getting Butler.  Not an easy thing to do when you lost 3/4ths of your backcourt.

Mike Woodson:  D
It's not his fault he's got an awful team.  It's his fault that he took the job knowing how bad the team was.

Bernie Bickerstaff:  C-
Charlotte injuries have hurt the team almost as bad as Bernie's coaching.  When you have players doing studly things like Gerald Wallace, it's time to build chemistry - and you've got two point guards willing to do that.  Time for a coaching change.

Maurice Cheeks:  C+
Philadelphia is an inconsistent team, but *IS* becoming a team.  Give it time - but how much time do Webber and Iverson have left?

Doc Rivers:  C-
Where's Gerald Green?  Development league?  Why isn't he in Boston?  The team is going with a kiddie-corps plus Pierce and Davis:  if they're going to lose all these close games, why not lose Pierce and build the kiddie corps up together?

Lawrence Frank:  B-
Best thank that long win streak, Lawrence, because you were next on the ejector seat at the time.  But when you're winning a division - handily - you must be doing something right.

Larry Brown:  C
You've got to admit - New York looks a lot better after the turn of the year.  But don't worry - it's just a temporary thing.  Brown just is searching for which player is best to p*** off next.

Sam Mitchell:  F
Speaking of p***ing players off, how can we forget Mitchell?  Atilla the Hun would be more welcomed...and he'd definitely be a better leader.

Flip Saunders:  A
Here you go.  This is your coach of the year.  Might even be the best coach in basketball.  Maybe the problem in Minnesota *WAS* Cassell and Sprewell - you think?

Mike Brown:  B-
Brown's grade is slipping as his team is slipping.  If he doesn't start designating who is to have the ball late in games, his grade - and his team - is going to slip some more.

Rick Carlisle:  A
Okay - you lose your team leader to retirement, your best defender/second-best player to chronic stupidity, and your point guard to injury.  Your new point guard complains that US basketball is too individualistic, your GM agrees with him, and your team is in the thick of the chase in the toughest division in basketball.  You should ask for a raise:  1/10th of the Pacers income and 1/7th of their time in worship sounds about right.

Terry Stotts:  B+
Amazing how genius people become after getting out of Atlanta.  The guy could be a future star in the coaching profession.  Too bad no one will ever notice him in Milwaukee.

Scott Skiles:  D
Team cohesion went out the door with Eddy Curry and Antonio Davis.  Perhaps it was just the force of gravity that kept this team together last year.

Avery Johnson:  A-
There's defense in Dallas?  What?  Did they hire an ex-Spur to coach or something?  The Little General has really hit the ground running as a coach.  It's actually quite impressive.

Jeff Van Gundy:  F
The team stinks when Yao is out.  The team stinks when McGrady is out.  The team stinks when Yao is in.  The team stinks when McGrady is in.  Rocket fans wish Bobby Sura was back so that they could have real offensive execution.  The clubhouse needs some fresh air.

Gregg Popovich:  B-
You just added Finley and Van Exel.  The offense hasn't quite gotten together, and other teams are breathing down San An's neck, when they have a team that should be close to clinching the division by this time of the year.  Another sign that Popovich's coaching is overrated.

Mike Fratello:  B
Memphis looks like it hasn't missed a beat despite huge roster changes and losing their starting point guard to injury.  Should we credit Fratello - or West?  I say the latter, but I've got to tip my cap to the former for this job.

Byron Scott:  B
If you can win games with an old guy (P.J. Brown), a young guy (David West), and a rookie (Chris Paul) and whatever other crap is left over after Hurricane George, you're doing something.

Dwane Casey:  B
A good job with a team that has some holes.  The guy is forced to rely on Michael Olowakandi, for goodness sakes!

George Karl:  B
A fantastic job after all the injuries, some rather silly suspensions, and a lot of noise that is hurting team cohesion.  Could have been better without some of the drama...and should have.

Jerry Sloan:  B+
Name one team without it's starting power forward out for the year that's leading its division.  Okay, other than Phoenix.  Typically Jerry Sloan.  And some really weird play patterns from young players and crusty veterans.  Like I said - typical Jerry Sloan.

Nate McMillan:  C
Would have been higher had he not caved to Ruben Patterson.  Still a team with a real need of clear direction.  A challenge for even the best leader.

Bob Hill:  inc.
He's changed the way the team is playing...just not the results.  Good?  Bad?  How would you know the difference?

Phil Jackson:  A
The Lakers are a playoff team made up of cast-offs.  This is easily Phil's best coaching job ever.  And, amazingly enough, he's not doing all that much of it in the press.

Mike Dunleavy:  C
After a nice start, the team has slipped - to the point of talking about bringing in Latrell Sprewell.  Flip Saunders is laughing in Detroit.  At least Dunleavy is having a better year than his son.

Mike Montgomery:  D+
The team started off with an easy schedule, and struggled through it, but has now slipped out of the playoffs.  Line-up changes haven't helped.  I think Montgomery's future is contingent upon a playoff appearance.

Mike D'Antoni:  A
If you lose your best post option and your top two swingmen what do you do?  You turn a career 2/3 into a 4/5, get additional scoring out of your bench, and take the division lead.

Rick Adelman:  C-
Let's see...Mike Bibby...Shareef Abdur-Rahim...a headcase (Wells)...a bunch of young nobodies...he's coaching the VANCOUVER GRIZZLIES!  Why on earth did you think they were going to win games?  Give the man a roster, for goodness sakes!

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Coaching Report Cards
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 04:37:42 PM »
Reality do you think its fair to wait until June to grade Riley?  They gave Stan the boot and Riley took his spot because he felt it would be an instant change in the right direction.  Right now, while they have improved (Shaq came back and the team started to do better hmmmm intresting :rolleyes: ), are still not playing at the level they should be considering the team consists of one of the best big men in the league and one of the best two guards in the league thrown in with some seasoned vets and a great, defensive minded coach.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 04:38:19 PM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Coaching Report Cards
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 04:57:32 PM »
I think its fair to grade him both now and in June.  

I think they look very incohesive.  What is Rileys offense?  When Lakers bricked and Heat pulled within 4 last night, the Heat had two straight O possessions that were clueless.  Also see a lot of standing around while Wade does his thing.  Which by the way what a sigh of relief for Heaters when he got up from last nights fall after clutching his left shin and foot.  

Riley has time to turn that around.  He looks old and out of gas and passion.  The announcement that this is his last year. :unsure:   Wonder if he thought he could roll the ball out to Shaq and Wade and all would be well.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Coaching Report Cards
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 05:40:54 PM »
I think its fair to grade him both now and in June.  

I think they look very incohesive.  What is Rileys offense?  When Lakers bricked and Heat pulled within 4 last night, the Heat had two straight O possessions that were clueless.  Also see a lot of standing around while Wade does his thing.  Which by the way what a sigh of relief for Heaters when he got up from last nights fall after clutching his left shin and foot.  

Riley has time to turn that around.  He looks old and out of gas and passion.  The announcement that this is his last year. :unsure:   Wonder if he thought he could roll the ball out to Shaq and Wade and all would be well.
IMO the reason why Wade did his thing because no one else seemed like they wanted to do it.  I think the long road trip had something to do with them looking flat for the entire game except that stretch you were talking about where Wade strapped the team on his back.  Normally they don't look that sluggish and certainly dont go down 19 to a team that is not a championship contender by anymeans.  You are right tho, they do not look cohesive.  Its toss the ball to Shaq, toss it to Wade, occasionally Payton will make a runner and Walker will just up a three off one foot 4 seconds into the shot clock.

Joe, You are right about the Bucs coach not getting any attention because I will even admit he has not crossed my mind as one of the coaches getting alot out of the players they have.  Bucs are not a top team but certainly solid and playing better than they have since Cassell was still there.

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
Coaching Report Cards
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 05:52:18 PM »
I still say the best Miami Heat team I've seen on the court this year is Payton at point, Wade at the 2, Jason Kapono at the small forward, Udonis Haslem at the big forward, and Mourning at center.  That team looks awesome - championship caliber, even.  The other combinations range from, "they're okay" to "this is the worst team I've ever seen."

Joe

-----------

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Coaching Report Cards
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 12:56:58 PM »
I still say the best Miami Heat team I've seen on the court this year is Payton at point, Wade at the 2, Jason Kapono at the small forward, Udonis Haslem at the big forward, and Mourning at center.  That team looks awesome - championship caliber, even.  The other combinations range from, "they're okay" to "this is the worst team I've ever seen."
Mourning is on a defensive tear in the post this year.  The question is do you give up Shaq's ability to create space for shooters and his work on the offensive end in the paint for Mourning's defense?  Thats a fine line that Riles has to walk across.  IMO it wouldnt make much sense to have them both on the floor at the same time because then that leaves Dudley backing Shaq up when he goes to the pine.

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
Coaching Report Cards
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 02:25:05 PM »
*YES*, I give up Shaq's ability to create space.  Space can be created either from the inside, or from the outside.  Kapono creates SOME space from the outside, and Mourning creates SOME space from the inside.  That's enough space for Wade and Payton to play drive-and-dish.  Shaq creates space only for outside shooters...which collapses defense to the lane.  I'd rather have Payton and Wade driving than having them show off their respective outside shooting ability.

Joe

-----------

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Coaching Report Cards
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 02:28:54 PM »
*YES*, I give up Shaq's ability to create space.  Space can be created either from the inside, or from the outside.  Kapono creates SOME space from the outside, and Mourning creates SOME space from the inside.  That's enough space for Wade and Payton to play drive-and-dish.  Shaq creates space only for outside shooters...which collapses defense to the lane.  I'd rather have Payton and Wade driving than having them show off their respective outside shooting ability.
I'd say that you would also be giving up Shaq's intimidation factor in the paint but if you've watched enough Heat basketball this year you will see that Zo actually is patrolling better than Shaq.  O'Neal will give up on a play and Zo could have 17 opposing players  trying to go for a rebound yet he will still battle to get it.

There is also one thing that Mourning brings on every play that Shaq has not and that is fire.  He is always very pumped up to play.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 02:29:34 PM by westkoast »

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
Coaching Report Cards
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »
Oh, I agree - Shaq needs to start playing with more passion.  I simply wonder if benching him in favor of Mourning would fire up some of that passion.

How would Shaq react if Mourning were the starter, started off well, and Pat Riley said to Shaq as he was going in, "Okay, Shaq - see if you can keep what Mourning is doing going."  You might see a VERY passionate Shaquille O'Neal.

Come on - think about it.  Riley has nothing to lose by doing it - at least if he plans on turning over the coaching reins next year, anyway.

No one has ever had the resources to challenge Shaq this way before.  Now someone does.  They should use them.

Joe

-----------

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Coaching Report Cards
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 12:21:10 PM »
Oh, I agree - Shaq needs to start playing with more passion.  I simply wonder if benching him in favor of Mourning would fire up some of that passion.

How would Shaq react if Mourning were the starter, started off well, and Pat Riley said to Shaq as he was going in, "Okay, Shaq - see if you can keep what Mourning is doing going."  You might see a VERY passionate Shaquille O'Neal.

Come on - think about it.  Riley has nothing to lose by doing it - at least if he plans on turning over the coaching reins next year, anyway.

No one has ever had the resources to challenge Shaq this way before.  Now someone does.  They should use them.
From his career, it is pretty clear that Shaq only gets motivated on special occasions, including, on occasion at least, the playoffs. The regular season rarely has been cause to accelerate his motivational factor to any great degree. Riley probably got his motor running with the coaching change, but as soon as that dies down, Shaq will be the regular sign post in the paint he tends to be the last few years.

I really think he is only playing basketball now for the money and the media attention. Sitting him for Mourning, who he considers a friend, may not be sufficient to get him angry enough to perform or get in shape.    
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."