Author Topic: Spurs lose ugly to the Pistons  (Read 2110 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs lose ugly to the Pistons
« on: January 13, 2006, 10:29:16 AM »
You know at some point MY team will start figuring out that this is NOT pre-season and that these games really do count.  Nobody is really stepping up for us, It's like they are waiting for someone else to take over, or come off the bench and win the game.  I think it way past time for Pop to be patient with them.  They need to turn it around right now.  Not that the Pistons are bad or anything, because Flip has them playing some great basketball, but the Spurs SHOULD be able to step up and shut them down, we played horribly.   :nonono:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 10:29:28 AM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 11:02:58 AM »
Only got to catch the 3rd and 4th quarter.  I was expecting a treat last night, you know with seeing two of the best teams in the league fight it out for 48 minutes.  Problem is the Pistons seem to have the Spurs number this year.

The Pistons offense was just running on all cylanders last night.  Seemed like they just hit from every single spot on the floor...Sheed from the baseline and 3, Billups from deep, Rip moving well with out the ball in the mid-range, and Prince made some real nice plays to the hoop himself.

I thought it was very weird that the Spurs were trailing behind and Pop decided to bring in Flabs Obencho and Horry only to see his team give up a bunch of rebounds due to size.  I believe there was 3 on the offensive end 2 of which ended up leading to points.

How much credit should be given to Larry Brown for building up the team that is doing so wlel right now and how much credit should be going to Flip Saunders?  This team was already great before Flip got there but they seem to be on a mission tihs year.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 11:03:09 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 11:30:26 AM »
Note that Carlise also contributed to Pistons team.

Why is Rasho playing more time than Nazr? See the rebounds difference.

I don't remember if Pistons played Suns this year. It would be fun to watch these teams in the finals (of course with Amare at his best against Ben and Rasheed).

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 11:34:56 AM »
How insane is it that the Pistons have NO players set to start in the all-star game?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 11:59:54 AM »
I know what I'm going to say may seem obvious due to his reputation, but just how UNBELIEVABLE a defender is Ben Wallace?  The guy is outstanding!

I watched the game last night and focused (somewhat) on him to see if I could pick up anything, and I came away in awe.  It's not just the blocks or steals, but the way he makes every single shot taken against him difficult.  And on top of that, he's a great help defender and weakside shot blocker.

Before last night's game, I wouldn't have been able to tell you - definitively - my third-favorite player in the league (behind TD and Amare), but it is now Big Ben.  What a special defender.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 12:09:22 PM »
Oh, come on, Wolverine.  You just admire him because he's got a better free-throw percentage than you do.

Same thing with Duncan and Amare.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 12:10:41 PM »
Oh, come on, Wolverine.  You just admire him because he's got a better free-throw percentage than you do.

Same thing with Duncan and Amare.
I'd like to think of a comeback for that, but there's no comeback for the truth.  :(
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 12:14:28 PM »
Wolvie,

You speak the truth my man, Ben Wallace is one gifted player on that end of the court.  The guy is simply amazing, I don't think there are enough superlatives.  

The one move that was a shocker to me was in Game 6 of the Finals last year.  Manu is so quick that you have no chance at stopping is first step.  Manu came around a Nazr screen, and Detroit switched.  Manu vs. BenWa 23 feet away from the goal.  Manu fakes right, crosses left going middle and the next thing you see is Ben Wallace flying backwards to the ground.  When you see the instant replay, Wallace switched, bothered the dribble, and still had time to shift-slide to the spot Manu wanted to go and beat him there to draw the charge, AT 6'9, 240 Ibs.  FREAKIN' AMAZING.  The ref's called it a blocking foul on Wallace because I think they couldn't fathom Ben Wallace being that quick.  The instant replay had Wallace beating Manu to the spot and was fully set.  

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 12:45:08 PM »
Missed it all.  W.O.W. when i made the temp insane comment to "head South while the gettins good" from WestWood at 3:30 pm, that was your clue to tell me to park it.

After an hour of swallowing smog and going, oh maybe 10 miles I packed it over to Mrs Rs relatives.  Lakers at that.  Spurs game being televised was not going to happen in favor of family visitation.  It's okay.  We can miss some games occasionally, right?

56-32 and 16-4 rebound advantage.  WT_ is going on?  

Also on O. I'm not looking for "a" scapegoat in a total team meltdown, but i will say Finley continues to brick launch yet took over Barrys spot. :nonono:  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 03:31:01 PM »
Just a wildassed Californian guess here, but I seem to recall that the Spurs tend to look a bit out of sorts for half the season before putting the pedal to the metal down the stretch every season.

I would be very wary if I were on the Pistons of beating the Spurs this early in the season and expect the same team to be playing against them if both make the finals.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 04:39:39 PM »
Just a wildassed Californian guess here, but I seem to recall that the Spurs tend to look a bit out of sorts for half the season before putting the pedal to the metal down the stretch every season.

I would be very wary if I were on the Pistons of beating the Spurs this early in the season and expect the same team to be playing against them if both make the finals.
Yes theydo this EVERY year, it doesn't make things easier as a Spurs fan though, they need to start showing some muscle.  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 08:42:30 PM »
IMO, it's NOT that the Pistons beat the Spurs but it's HOW they beat them.  It's the same as game #7 -- if TD allows Big Ben to play him one-on-one and keep him contained, I don't think the Spurs can win.  TD HAS to force the Pistons to double team him -- if the Pistons can play TD one-on-one, then I don't think the Spurs win that series.

Also, I think Nazr is a MUCH better rebounder and defender than Rasho -- Rasho played like 24 minutes and had what, 3 rebounds?  Somebody needs to slap Pop and wake him up on that one!  I can understand playing Horry more to guard Sheed -- he is the best choice to guard Sheed but playing Rasho 24 minutes over Nazr?   :crazy: