Author Topic: Lakers dodged a bullet  (Read 2369 times)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Lakers dodged a bullet
« on: December 02, 2005, 08:08:11 AM »
Kobe was clearly NOT fouled in what should have been the last play of regulation, which would have given the Jazz the win. Intsead he got the bogus call and the chance to tie and force overtime after Harpring's miss at the line on the other end.

The Lakers gave up a 14 point lead playing very sloppy basketball, they didn't deserve this win. (But I'll take it  :D )
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Lakers dodged a bullet
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 09:45:54 AM »
From espn,
Amount of class displayed by Kobme/level he willingly sinks to:

"'Bryant said Brown got him in the legs.

"You never call it with the game on the line, but that was pretty blatant," Bryant said.'

jn

Lakers dodged a bullet
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 09:46:59 AM »
Hey Dan, good to hear from you.

That phantom foul call was incredible.  Honestly, it's now among the top 5 worst calls I have ever seen.  

Did anyone else expect Sloan to finally cross the final barrier and actually murder the ref?  

Did you hear the TNT analysts comparing Kobe's shot statistics to their own careers?  Kobe has now taken 30 or more shots 7 times THIS YEAR.  Barkley took 30 or more only 3 times in a 16 year career.  Reggie NEVER took 30 shots.  He took 29 one time and scored 57 that night.  

Nice work by that Eastern Euro for the Lakers to sink his free throws and the big 3 in crunch time.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Lakers dodged a bullet
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 10:49:43 AM »
The problem with the call was the ref turned his head before the shot was fully released and then blew the whistle based on the fact the shot was off, which is why the call was late.  He was clearly behind the line so I guess they had him shoot 2 to make up for the bad call??  Normally that would have been a foul for coming up under the shooter, you just dont call it at the end of the game like that.

However lets not act like Kobe was not fouled twice about 10 seconds before that...once on the drive to the rim, once when he got tripped while trying to get away after grabbing  the lose ball, and the tackle by AK was not called on Smush Parker either.  ONE of those should have been called game on the line or not.  His drive to the rim they could have swallowed the whistle for but how are you going to not call a foul when a player going for a loose ball in the closing seconds is tripped??  Or Smush being tackled (which is why he did not split the defenders).  That was two seperate times the Lakers had possesion (with timeouts available) and the ball came out of their possesion because of fouls.  One of those SHOULD have been called.

The game was horrible and the refs made ALOT of bad calls especially down the stretch.  I think by the end of the night there was over 100 FTs shot between the two teams.  I could go Reality-status and complain about the FTs or the fact that 4 of the 5 Laker starters had 5 or 6 fouls but I realize that it was a bad ref'd game as oppose to saying the Jazz were given every chance to win.  Now they both played some sloppy ball but not that sloppy.  Refs were whistle happy last night.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 11:10:00 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

Lakers dodged a bullet
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 11:19:53 AM »
Actually if you watch the shot from the vantage point of the camera on top of the basket you can clearly see one foot on the 3 pt line.  I thought it was a three until I saw that angle.  

Ummmm...I'm not sure which previous posession you are talking about but... If you are talking about the one where Kobe missed badly on a bank shot runner coming down the right side of the lane then no, he did not get foule.  When he missed that badly I thought he must have been hacked or pushed but nope, on the replay AK or Harping just stepped back as he took the shot.  I'm thinking he had the equivelant of pitchers "dead arm" from pitching too many innings.   B)

They never showed a replay of the Parker falling play but yeah, it looked like something could've/should've been called.

The thing is Brown did not come up under him.  Watch the replay again.  There is not ANY contact with the lower body at all.  Kobe twisted himself in midair and then with his follow through, basically grabbed Brown's arm well after the shot and off to the side.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Lakers dodged a bullet
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 11:38:50 AM »
Actually if you watch the shot from the vantage point of the camera on top of the basket you can clearly see one foot on the 3 pt line.  I thought it was a three until I saw that angle. 

Ummmm...I'm not sure which previous posession you are talking about but... If you are talking about the one where Kobe missed badly on a bank shot runner coming down the right side of the lane then no, he did not get foule.  When he missed that badly I thought he must have been hacked or pushed but nope, on the replay AK or Harping just stepped back as he took the shot.  I'm thinking he had the equivelant of pitchers "dead arm" from pitching too many innings.   B)

They never showed a replay of the Parker falling play but yeah, it looked like something could've/should've been called.

The thing is Brown did not come up under him.  Watch the replay again.  There is not ANY contact with the lower body at all.  Kobe twisted himself in midair and then with his follow through, basically grabbed Brown's arm well after the shot and off to the side.
Normally Kobe going up like that wouldnt have been a foul but just a few minutes prior a similar play happend and Odom was whistled for using his lower body to bump a player.  That is what happend with Kobe.  I agree normally it wouldnt be a foul but they were calling touch fouls all night and had just called a similar play a fe wminutes before in that way.

AK grabbed Parker and that I watched numerous times in slow motion.  As he was making his way to split the double team before he got the ball to the otherside of his body he was grabbed and that caused the ball to shoot out.  You can actually see AK extend two arms into the side of Parker.     However that Parker/AK play never should have happen as Kobe was tripped up while he had possesion of the ball from grabbing his own miss.  That call has to be made because he completely fell and lost control of the ball.  He was tripped in broad day light.  Parker grabbed the ball after Kobe lost it and then was tripped and lost the ball again.  You could not miss the 2nd Kobe foul.  In fact if you were a blind fan in the building you could have heard him slap the hardwood.

The end of the game call was bad but so was the reffing of the whole entire game.  The Lakers and Jazz did not play sloppy enough to warrant over 100 FTs.  ALOT of touch fouls were called through out the game so to see those last two plays where nothing was called and then they turn around and call a foul on Brown based off of a shot being missed instead of actual contact makes you want to shoot a ref honestly.  They were inconsistant the entire night, not just once in Kobes favor even though he did benefit for a moron ref.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 11:43:17 AM by westkoast »

jn

Lakers dodged a bullet
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 11:53:29 AM »
NBA Math.

Kris Mihm + Greg Ostertag + Luke Walton X Jason Collins X Mehmet Okur= FOULS!  :nonono:  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Lakers dodged a bullet
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 11:57:12 AM »
1. Actually if you watch the shot from the vantage point of the camera on top of the basket you can clearly see one foot on the 3 pt line.  

2. The thing is Brown did not come up under him.  Watch the replay again.  There is not ANY contact with the lower body at all.  Kobe twisted himself in midair and then with his follow through, basically grabbed Brown's arm well after the shot and off to the side.
westkoast.

Q. 1  Do you get jns point #1?

Q 2. ditto on point #2

Q. 3  Did you tivo the game?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Lakers dodged a bullet
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 12:02:19 PM »
NBA Math.

Kris Mihm + Greg Ostertag + Luke Walton X Jason Collins X Mehmet Okur= FOULS!  :nonono:
Kobe Bryan 6 fouls
Lamar Odom 5 fouls
Luke walton 6 Fouls
Brian Cook 5 Fouls
Chris Mihm 5 fouls
AK had 4 but should have fouled out
Devin Brown had 4 but should have had 2
Matt Harpring had 6 fouls
Ostertag had 6 fouls
Okur had 6

Jazz only average about 26 fouls a game yet had 39 last night.
Lakers only average about 25 fouls a game and had 38 last night.

Even with "NBA Math" both teams going 10-15 fouls over what they normally average says something.  Especially since between both teams they shot 90-something FTs.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 12:09:50 PM by westkoast »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Lakers dodged a bullet
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 12:07:25 PM »
1. Actually if you watch the shot from the vantage point of the camera on top of the basket you can clearly see one foot on the 3 pt line. 

2. The thing is Brown did not come up under him.  Watch the replay again.  There is not ANY contact with the lower body at all.  Kobe twisted himself in midair and then with his follow through, basically grabbed Brown's arm well after the shot and off to the side.
westkoast.

Q 2. ditto on point #2

#1 Was never given that view so I couldnt say otherwise

#2 Brown did come under his arm and kept going towards his body.  That is where the Ref assumed it was going to be a foul and moved his head to see if the shot was going to be off its mark.  When Kobe's shooting arm was extended it looked like Brown hit his elbow but after watching it in slow motion he did not touch him.  He did come under him but not enough to warrant any kind of foul.  You cannot properly defend a jump shooter if you cannot get up on him.

And yes I did Tivo the game last night and wouldnt mind if you wanted to go over a few things.  We can dead the Kobe last shot because it was BS.  The Ref made the call based on an assumption and a shot missing its mark instead of actual contact.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Lakers dodged a bullet
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 12:51:54 PM »

2. The thing is Brown did not come up under him.  Watch the replay again.  There is not ANY contact with the lower body at all.  Kobe twisted himself in midair and then with his follow through, basically grabbed Brown's arm well after the shot and off to the side.
westkoast.

Q 2. ditto on point #2

#2 Brown did come under his arm and kept going towards his body.  That is where the Ref assumed it was going to be a foul and moved his head to see if the shot was going to be off its mark.  When Kobe's shooting arm was extended it looked like Brown hit his elbow but after watching it in slow motion he did not touch him.  He did come under him but not enough to warrant any kind of foul.  You cannot properly defend a jump shooter if you cannot get up on him.

And yes I did Tivo the game last night and wouldnt mind if you wanted to go over a few things.  We can dead the Kobe last shot because it was BS.  The Ref made the call based on an assumption and a shot missing its mark instead of actual contact.
1.  TNT freeze framed the play, showing Kobes right foot well on the 3 pt line.  

2.  Repeating what TNT showed and what jn posted, Browns legs and lower body and for that matter entire body do not come in contact with Kobme AT ALL.  (sans the Kobme initiated arm grab)

Kobme releases the shot, his shooting arm followthru is going straight ahead and downward as a normal release does.  Kombe changes his arms path at a right angle and initiates contact with Brown, who simply had his own arms and entire body stright up.  Defenders are allowed to have the space above their body.  Brown does not "move under" Kobme in any way, shape or form.  Kobme has absolute space to land unimpeded.  The only contact is Kobme initiating his own right arm/hand into Browns straight up left elbow arm and then pulling on Browns elbow/forearm.

3  Kenny TNT did make the point like yours in that the ref was looking at Kobmes feet to see if he was on the line.  He then looks up as Kobme is making contact with Browns arm.  Very incorrect officiating as with 1 second on the clock the refs can simply use replay to accurately score 2 or 3 pter.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Lakers dodged a bullet
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 12:59:59 PM »

westkoast.

Q 2. ditto on point #2

1.  TNT freeze framed the play, showing Kobes right foot well on the 3 pt line.  

2.  Repeating what TNT showed and what jn posted, Browns legs and lower body and for that matter entire body do not come in contact with Kobme AT ALL.  (sans the Kobme initiated arm grab)

Kobme releases the shot, his shooting arm followthru is going straight ahead and downward as a normal release does.  Kombe changes his arms path at a right angle and initiates contact with Brown, who simply had his own arms and entire body stright up.  Defenders are allowed to have the space above their body.  Brown does not "move under" Kobme in any way, shape or form.  Kobme has absolute space to land unimpeded.  The only contact is Kobme initiating his own right arm/hand into Browns straight up left elbow arm and then pulling on Browns elbow/forearm.

3  Kenny TNT did make the point like yours in that the ref was looking at Kobmes feet to see if he was on the line.  He then looks up as Kobme is making contact with Browns arm.  Very incorrect officiating as with 1 second on the clock the refs can simply use replay to accurately score 2 or 3 pter.
#1 I didnt catch it on TNT, was watching KCAL 9 like usual

#2 He went under Kobe's extended arm and Kobe tried to make it seem like it caused him to twist his body to avoid nailing him.  Obviously it didnt.  My lower body foul comment was on a previous play when Kobe got into the paint.

#3 If you watch it again you will see the Ref look towards the basket before the shot is released and once the ball is obviously going off the mark the whistle is blown because the Ref assumed Brown went into Kobe and caused the shot to be off.  You can see the second the ref blew the whistle he was looking at the basket.

Not only was the last call bad last night but the refs were very inconsistant in making calls last night.   Its not like they were bad during the last 5 seconds of the game they were pretty bad the entire game.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Lakers dodged a bullet
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 01:45:34 PM »
The ending of the Spurs was good too.  
It didn't have Kobe, but it did have 7 lead changes in the last 2:30 and a very weird last 10 seconds.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Lakers dodged a bullet
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 11:31:47 AM »
Did the NBA playoffs from 1989 restart, or was this just a early season regular game played by two teams battling for a lottery spot?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."