Author Topic: Sixers pick up Lee Nailon  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Sixers pick up Lee Nailon
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2005, 09:43:54 AM »
Lol.

Maybe that wasn't you.  I just assumed :P

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2005, 09:55:17 AM »
Lol.

Maybe that wasn't you.  I just assumed :P
Believe it was Laker Fan (Dan)...the Randy dead give away is --- when he does that  :D

Deke has been in the league forever and he still is making defensive stops and altering shots.  Not in the same fashion as say when he first suited up in a Nuggets uniform but still is doing in nonetheless.  Longevity is something very few players have.

Heres my question to everyone....if you were to sign someone to a one year deal because your team needs a defensive anchor who would you go after first?  Deke or Sam?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 09:57:05 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2005, 11:10:08 AM »
At this point Sam.  Deke's done, and is a liability against anyone with any kind of mobility or outside shot.  Has been for 3 years.

But Sam's not near the team defender and rebounder deke was even 5 years ago, much less his prime.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 11:10:29 AM by dbodner »

Guest_Randy

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2005, 11:13:10 AM »
dbods, I just hope that my feelings aren't hurt -- I'll let you know if I find them!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2005, 02:55:15 PM »
Having a player who isn't all that bright, and teaching him a move that requires deception to pull it off (like McHale's up-and-under) turns the player into a mechanical player, who simply goes through the mechanics and wonders why it isn't successful and everyone has read it.

That was so insightfull.

I've never been able to quite put my finger on why some post moves don't work for other players.  It's hard to teach stuff that just comes natural to me, when some asks me why fake left go right instead of vice versa I'll answer something like, I can just tell which way the player is favoring.  The next question is how do I know that, the next answer would be that I can feel where his weight is leaning.  And how do I know that?  After the fifth or sixth question I just give up, unless it's one of my kids asking.  

It is kinda amazing all the stuff you're acutally processing just playing a game.  That's also a good reason why it takes a while to get a "feel" for the game when you haven't played for a while.  When I think of b-ball smarts I think of reading defenses and matchups, not feeling which way your defender is leaning.  Never thought you needed brains to make a post move, thought you only needed footwork and coordination.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 06:05:11 PM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2005, 05:29:43 PM »
**laughing**

I guess I'm going to have to take the credit for my earlier post;  I was the "guest."  Didn't realize I hadn't signed in.

And, of course, no one knew it was me because the post wasn't 2 light-years long!

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2005, 05:35:56 PM »
**laughing**

I guess I'm going to have to take the credit for my earlier post;  I was the "guest."  Didn't realize I hadn't signed in.

And, of course, no one knew it was me because the post wasn't 2 light-years long!
Yes Stephen "Joe Vancil" King thats exactly why we didnt suspect it was you  :rofl:  
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

rickortreat

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2005, 11:03:08 AM »
Having a player who isn't all that bright, and teaching him a move that requires deception to pull it off (like McHale's up-and-under) turns the player into a mechanical player, who simply goes through the mechanics and wonders why it isn't successful and everyone has read it.

That was so insightfull.

I've never been able to quite put my finger on why some post moves don't work for other players. It's hard to teach stuff that just comes natural to me, when some asks me why fake left go right instead of vice versa I'll answer something like, I can just tell which way the player is favoring. The next question is how do I know that, the next answer would be that I can feel where his weight is leaning. And how do I know that? After the fifth or sixth question I just give up, unless it's one of my kids asking.

It is kinda amazing all the stuff you're acutally processing just playing a game. That's also a good reason why it takes a while to get a "feel" for the game when you haven't played for a while. When I think of b-ball smarts I think of reading defenses and matchups, not feeling which way your defender is leaning. Never thought you needed brains to make a post move, thought you only needed footwork and coordination.

It takes "feel" which comes from experience.  What does Sam lack?  Experience.  Give it time.  :nod:

Clearly there are players who a light-years ahead of Sam in their effectiveness on the court.  But none of them have a superior reach, quickness or athleticism.  What they do have is b-ball smarts, experience.  I don't necessarilly expect him to ever be the equal of a Duncan or Garnet or Stoudamire, but 70% of that will do very well for the Sixers.  :up:  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2005, 11:58:00 AM »
Rick,

You think a lot more of Sam than anyone else does.  Rebounding and shotblocking are going to be Sam's strengths -- he would actually be a BETTER player if he had more of a Mt. Mutombo point of view.  Deke didn't look for offense but Sam WANTS to shoot the ball!  Have you seen him do that?  Man, and you think Shaq's shot is ugly?

rickortreat

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2005, 04:32:59 PM »
No, Shaq does NOT have an ugly shot, except from the free throw stripe.  There are times that I'm quite impressed with his footwork.  My only problem with him is that he often just pushes players out of the way when they are in good defensive postion.  Frankly, it's the refs fault that he is permitted to commit offensive fouls.  He clearly has the ability to get around players when he tries.

His dunks are ferocious, he's pretty good at boxing out, and his short range shots are really pretty good.

Shaq is still the best center in the NBA, but he's not fast up and down the court.  The best way to beat him is to get a running game going, but since he rebounds so well that's tough to do.  The ultimate is to get him in foul trouble and you need guys who can really go at him and make him foul.

IMO, Sam is one of the players with the physical ability to give Shaq trouble, he's quicker by far. If they give him a pass at the top of the lane, and Shaq comes out to guard him, he can pump fake, and drive down the lane with ease.  Of course, to do that, he has to be able to shoot from there at a high enough percentage!

Between plays like that and beating Shaq up and down the floor, he could almost hold his own.

Face it Randy, there are very few 7 footers who are gracefull and smooth.  Kareem certainly was, but I can't think of any others. Duncan is very deliberate, and Garnett is quick.  Stoudamire is very powerfull and athletic and he's the one I expect to move up the ladder.

Sam's a long way from being with that group now.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2005, 08:35:09 PM »
No, Shaq does NOT have an ugly shot, except from the free throw stripe.  There are times that I'm quite impressed with his footwork.  My only problem with him is that he often just pushes players out of the way when they are in good defensive postion.  Frankly, it's the refs fault that he is permitted to commit offensive fouls.  He clearly has the ability to get around players when he tries.

His dunks are ferocious, he's pretty good at boxing out, and his short range shots are really pretty good.

Shaq is still the best center in the NBA, but he's not fast up and down the court.  The best way to beat him is to get a running game going, but since he rebounds so well that's tough to do.  The ultimate is to get him in foul trouble and you need guys who can really go at him and make him foul.

IMO, Sam is one of the players with the physical ability to give Shaq trouble, he's quicker by far. If they give him a pass at the top of the lane, and Shaq comes out to guard him, he can pump fake, and drive down the lane with ease.  Of course, to do that, he has to be able to shoot from there at a high enough percentage!

Between plays like that and beating Shaq up and down the floor, he could almost hold his own.

Face it Randy, there are very few 7 footers who are gracefull and smooth.  Kareem certainly was, but I can't think of any others. Duncan is very deliberate, and Garnett is quick.  Stoudamire is very powerfull and athletic and he's the one I expect to move up the ladder.

Sam's a long way from being with that group now.
Why would anyone even guard Sam beyond 3 feet from the basket.  Sam will NOT develope any range at the rate he's going.

Nobody in their right mind would play Shaq for an outside shot, they would be just as dumb to guard Sam.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"