Author Topic: Whats Detroit to do  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Whats Detroit to do
« on: July 05, 2005, 08:48:35 PM »
"Uncertain" is the official word.  Wonder if you Sixers, Clippers, UCLA Bruins, Kansas etc have heard that before.

Larry Browns status is an official to be determined.

In the meantime Nate McMillian is available, but now the Sonics have said they want an answer in 10 days or so.  Ditto Flip Saunders, who is said to be lurking around for the Pistons job.  Can't blame any NBA coach, it's a great situation to step into.  Everyone back.  Surprised Phildo didn't consider it.

Its just ESPN and their usual pot stirring with no sources named, but:
"It's believed that Pistons owner Bill Davidson, before committing to bring Brown back for the third season on his original five-year contract, wants assurances from Brown that he's healthy enough to coach after missing 17 games last season -- and also that Brown truly wants to be in Detroit after a season of constant speculation that the 64-year-old was planning his exit.

Davidson is still said to be fuming after months of Brown links to the New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers, with the inference being that Brown didn't do enough to discourage such stories from becoming a distraction to his players."

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Whats Detroit to do
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 09:16:34 AM »
Davidson is right. If I were Davidson, I would can brown and bring in a veteran coach like PJ Carlisimo.
Paul

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Whats Detroit to do
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 08:25:35 PM »
Or Nate McMillian.

Today Brown says: "I just want to get well and coach the Pistons," Brown said Wednesday night in an interview with The Associated Press. "I've been saying that for a long time, but nobody seems to believe me. I don't know what else I can say."

"but nobody seems to believe me" :rofl:  Larry Larry Larry.....

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Whats Detroit to do
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 09:30:36 PM »
He has always said that if he's healthy, he wants to coach in detroit.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Whats Detroit to do
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 09:44:18 PM »
He has always said that if he's healthy, he wants to coach in detroit.
I know and I believe him.  What's funny is he acts as if his past has no bearing on why many would question his bolting or not.  Maybe once or twice in times past he has said he has no intention of leaving a city or team?

I myself don't hold it against him if he wants to bail.  Or wants to "bail" only because his health won't allow him to coach.  As Brown himself has said, altho he has made many a career stop, every single team got their worth out of him.  Philly included.  

Only coach to ever win a college and NBA title.

As if all his Finals and better then ever before college and pro teams advancements were not enough, he took the Donald Sterling Clippers to the playoffs.  Irrefutable evidence he is an awesome coach.

However from Detroits point of view, they want to keep this two Finals in a row steamroller going.  There is a window of opportunity to sign Nate Mc.  Its a finite window.  While I feel for Browns health, are the Pistons to wait until Nate is signed elsewhere, or even prolong Browns health question until the start of next season to get a new coach?  That could still work out fine for the 2006 Pistons playoffs.  But so might signing Nate now.  Tough position but most would agree it's also the #2 postion in the NBA head coaching arena to walk into.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 11:58:27 PM by Reality »