Author Topic: Should SacTown resign Cutino Mobley...  (Read 1061 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Should SacTown resign Cutino Mobley...
« on: July 05, 2005, 11:03:42 AM »
This is the latest idea being suggested by columists on the Sacramento Bee. So as not to lose out completely on the Christie for Mobley trade last season, it was suggested that the Kings bite the bullet and resign the 'Cat', then package him in a trade for need. Odd thing to consider, since no one with the Kings sees any future with Mobley, so they could only consider this if they find a buyer for Mobley at an inflated salary. This just does not seem to be an optimal choice, but I have been wrong before about trying to predict what Petrie will do.  

Only problem is that the Maloofs are still forcing Petrie to keep the salaries on the Kings within reason of the salary cap so no potential luxury tax issues arise. So I do not see how resigning Mobley and trading him for value would do that, as the Kings are already salary cap challenged without Mobley signed.

It also means that any action like this would not necessarily mean a trade for some other shooting guard, as that has not been talked about at all. The Kings may break tradition and actually consider starting a rookie. Francisco Garcia has impressed everyone with the Kings, but I can't remember Adelman ever starting a rookie other then Jason Williams.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 11:08:08 AM »
Sacramento should ABSOLUTELY keep Cuttino Mobley.  2-guards with point guard skills are RARE.  No one knows this better than a Jazz fan, because Sloan's system needs a 2-guard with point guard skills.  

Obviously, the guy I most want is Ray Allen...but if we can't get him, I'd LOVE to get Mobley.  Talk to us.

But, no, we're not taking Ostertag back.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 01:22:09 PM »
But, no, we're not taking Ostertag back.
Dang it, Joe. Greg clearly is pining to return to the nurturing caresses of Jerry Sloan. How could you deny you too would not get caught up in the emotional euphoria bound to result from such a reuniting?

As for Mobley, I honestly have to quetion your assessment of the 'Cat' possessing point guard skills from the two-guard position. There is absolutely no team in the NBA that prefers those skills from their two-guard more then the Kings; and Mobley was not inclined to provide them, if, in fact, he COULD have provided them. last season.

Perhaps if given the opportunity to run through a solid pre-season with the King's coaches he could develop those abilities that the Kings covet from their two-guard and thereby fit seamlessly into the Sacramento offense. But Mobley was a bit too inclined to jack up shots early in transition rather then do the extra pass that tended to work the offense better from a King's point of view.

My perspective of Mobley? When things were clicking and the offense was moving, Cutino was as good a player as we had on the floor. When things got bogged down and we needed some patience to get back into games, Mobley tended to shoot us completely out of the contests.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 10:15:04 PM »
As for Mobley, I honestly have to quetion your assessment of the 'Cat' possessing point guard skills from the two-guard position. There is absolutely no team in the NBA that prefers those skills from their two-guard more then the Kings; and Mobley was not inclined to provide them, if, in fact, he COULD have provided them. last season.

If Cat on the Kings...lets say 2 seasons ago.... didnt have a career high in assists that year he would deserve to have his passing skills questioned.   Only problem is the whole consistant fluid offense the Kings once had has not returned since C-Webb came back from that big injury a while back.  Maybe if Peja cut a little more maybe Cat would have more assits per game  :D

He throws damn good lobs but who is a jumper on this team?  Cat and Francis use to throw 7-8 lobs per game for dunks on a regular night to guys like Mo Taylor and Nooble (spelling?)

I say keep him and start him.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 10:18:21 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com