Author Topic: Still lurking about  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Still lurking about
« on: June 12, 2005, 11:10:55 AM »
Hey everyone!

Haven't had a chance to post but I have been lurking in the shadows and reading most of the "prose" that graces this board.  It's good to see that there has been more frequent postings by other board "nomads".

Many things have conspired to keep me from posting.  First my work installed a net monitor on our servers.  Big brother is watching so I can't surf from work anymore.    :cry:

Then as usual I was very busy through April 15 at work.  Long hours and very little time to spend online.  Not to mention the fact that I am too cheap to give up my dialup service and spring for high speed.

After April 15 I was kept busy with putting on my daughter's wedding.  Which turned out to be a week-long affair.  They were married 5/15 in a small ceremony with a dinner.  Then the following Saturday they had a good old fashioned Texas BBQ for their reception.  I had family invading my house for close to two weeks.

As far as basketball.  Basically the teams I thought would be in the finals are there.  My prediction all along has been SA in 6.  We will lose two in Detroit and win at home in game 6.  (Too bad Fisher screwed up our three-peat with that miracle BS last year.  :D  )

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

sf101

Still lurking about
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 04:26:21 PM »
Congrats!  I just started a new gig at USAA, and man, that company monitors EVERYTHING, so I haven't been on as much either. Think Detroit will win one in SA and 1 at home, but the Spurs should prevail in 6.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Still lurking about
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 10:14:04 PM »
Went to a bar near by to watch game on with some friends, i was gonna watch from home but i was so nervous i had to go out.  glad I did, nothing like being around other Spurs fans cheering as if we were at the game.  congrats to you and your fam.  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Still lurking about
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 08:58:19 AM »
Good to see you around, Lurker!

The network crackdown has come here as well.  I, however, am in a group excluded from such things.  Such is the benefit of being System Admin.  We have our own private VLANs here, for testing, plus a development network with access to the outside world.  As long as we go through SurfControl, which essentially blocks us from anything that could get the company in legal trouble, they're content to let us go other places - simply because they realize we could bypass ALL the outgoing security if we use our development network.  We've got some restrictions in place, though;  any downloads from all but approved sites have to go onto the development network, we've got to have virus software/ad-prevention software loaded at all times on the production network, etc., but nothing unreasonable.

I consider myself lucky to be where I'm at.  A great job with good pay, a reasonably good (but quickly declining) work environment, on an AWESOME team, with an AWESOME director.  I feel sorry for those of you who have to undergo bureaucratic monitoring and oversight.  Seems like someone would figure out that it does nothing other than damage morale.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Still lurking about
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 09:22:01 AM »
Add me to the "monitored" list.

My home is being renovated so I don't get on from home either.

No surprise in the Finals.  The Pistons were an accidental champ last year, they did not deserve the title and this year they are showing what pretenders they truely are.  IMO injuries got the Pistons back into the finals, just like last year, but unfortuneately for the Pistons injuries will not win them the ring like last year.

See you guys around.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Still lurking about
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 09:39:11 AM »
Welcome back.

Theme song from Kotter is playing.

We've had a good infusion this past month or so.  Skandery quit lurking and came in.   zig has been back and the intelligence level is up.   Now you're back.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 09:48:42 AM by Reality »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Still lurking about
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 10:55:16 AM »
Congrats!  I just started a new gig at USAA, and man, that company monitors EVERYTHING, so I haven't been on as much either. Think Detroit will win one in SA and 1 at home, but the Spurs should prevail in 6.
Sorry to hear that, sf101. My wife worked for USAA a while back until they drove her into a nervous breakdown. She had the gall to question why she was stepped over for a promotion to a training position she was ideally suited to do in favor of a guy who had zero training ability, but was, well, one of the inner circle.

Then she made the huge mistake of getting rear-ended by another USAA policy holder, requiring her to be taken by ambulance to the emergency room. Apparently, employees of USAA who have their auto insurance with the company had better not get into any accident with another USAA policy holder. The not so subtle suggestions that she settle the claim at greatly reduced amounts were ignored by us, resulting in a company policy of harassment and write-ups for made-up infractions. This after she repeatedly was the #1 claims adjuster for the Sacramento office for three straight years.

They also absolutely hate, and I mean completely hate, women employees, unless they play the golf hostess and serve the boys coffee and donuts before the big tournaments. Then you see them get all the promotions.

What finally broke her was when she had to take several months off for foot surgery. After initially saying it was okay, they then proceded to call her at home to harass her to come back to work or be docked. The first call came the day after she was operated on. This, at a time when she had to literally crawl on her hands and knees to the bathroom because it hurt so much to even use crutches to walk. I finally had to call her boss directly to tell her to stop the harassment and leave us alone, which they did. My wife then had already decided not to go back, so she took as long as she possibly could on her extended leave before quitting.

Anyway, good luck. Just sign on the dotted line of the burning contract and sell your soul. If you want to succeed with that company, forget about wasting any time doing a good job on your assigned work, just play the office games and become one of the good o' boys and you will go far.

As for you, Lurker - how's it really going? I hear weddings cost an average AN AVERAGE!! of $26,000 dollars these days. I could go to Europe six times for that kind of dough. From California.

Being monitored at work is the coming thing, isn't it? But what really bugs me is that I have to monitor a unit email account. Over a typical weekend, I have about 120 emails in it that have nothing to do with the work of my unit, but rather bogus banking warnings that my account has been corrupted, or erectal solutions or that I have won this 'secret' lottery for millions, or another Nigerian has this account he can't access without my help. Every week or so, an actual real email appears in it that I can deal with.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 10:57:10 AM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Still lurking about
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 11:21:38 AM »
Congrats!  I just started a new gig at USAA, and man, that company monitors EVERYTHING, so I haven't been on as much either. Think Detroit will win one in SA and 1 at home, but the Spurs should prevail in 6.
Sorry to hear that, sf101. My wife worked for USAA a while back until they drove her into a nervous breakdown. She had the gall to question why she was stepped over for a promotion to a training position she was ideally suited to do in favor of a guy who had zero training ability, but was, well, one of the inner circle.

Then she made the huge mistake of getting rear-ended by another USAA policy holder, requiring her to be taken by ambulance to the emergency room. Apparently, employees of USAA who have their auto insurance with the company had better not get into any accident with another USAA policy holder. The not so subtle suggestions that she settle the claim at greatly reduced amounts were ignored by us, resulting in a company policy of harassment and write-ups for made-up infractions. This after she repeatedly was the #1 claims adjuster for the Sacramento office for three straight years.

They also absolutely hate, and I mean completely hate, women employees, unless they play the golf hostess and serve the boys coffee and donuts before the big tournaments. Then you see them get all the promotions.

What finally broke her was when she had to take several months off for foot surgery. After initially saying it was okay, they then proceded to call her at home to harass her to come back to work or be docked. The first call came the day after she was operated on. This, at a time when she had to literally crawl on her hands and knees to the bathroom because it hurt so much to even use crutches to walk. I finally had to call her boss directly to tell her to stop the harassment and leave us alone, which they did. My wife then had already decided not to go back, so she took as long as she possibly could on her extended leave before quitting.

Anyway, good luck. Just sign on the dotted line of the burning contract and sell your soul. If you want to succeed with that company, forget about wasting any time doing a good job on your assigned work, just play the office games and become one of the good o' boys and you will go far.

As for you, Lurker - how's it really going? I hear weddings cost an average AN AVERAGE!! of $26,000 dollars these days. I could go to Europe six times for that kind of dough. From California.

Being monitored at work is the coming thing, isn't it? But what really bugs me is that I have to monitor a unit email account. Over a typical weekend, I have about 120 emails in it that have nothing to do with the work of my unit, but rather bogus banking warnings that my account has been corrupted, or erectal solutions or that I have won this 'secret' lottery for millions, or another Nigerian has this account he can't access without my help. Every week or so, an actual real email appears in it that I can deal with.
man i hate it when I press the "report" link rather  than the "qoute" link.

Anyway, JoMal 101 was well informed of USAA before going there, amazingly, and sadly enough, my wife ALSO had a nervous breakdown from working there.  she has been suffering since and has not been able to return to work, mind you it's been two years - that's how damaging it was for her to go through all that.  She is just now getting back to close to normal, hopefully she will make it back into the work force.  It's amazing that you being in Cali know about USAA and the damage that working there can cause people you love.  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Still lurking about
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 11:43:07 AM »
Anyway, JoMal 101 was well informed of USAA before going there, amazingly, and sadly enough, my wife ALSO had a nervous breakdown from working there.  she has been suffering since and has not been able to return to work, mind you it's been two years - that's how damaging it was for her to go through all that.  She is just now getting back to close to normal, hopefully she will make it back into the work force.  It's amazing that you being in Cali know about USAA and the damage that working there can cause people you love.
USAA has a huge office here in Sacramento. A self-contained world with its own exercise facility and softball field.

This all happened to my wife about 15 years ago and she has NEVER been able go back into an office environment without getting sick. She tried once, about 7 years ago and the first time she got reviewed, after being there six months, her manager told her people had complained that she had been washing off her plastic utenzils and plastic plate after eating her lunch, then (GASP!) not throwing them away, but storing them for future use!

She quit the same day. She just could not take the stress of it. and it all goes back to having worked for USAA. She now works as a travel agent from our home.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Still lurking about
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 01:18:13 PM »
Lurker!?!  THERE YOU ARE!!  I WANT VINCE CARTER BACK, I WANT MY VINCE CARTER BACK!!!

Alright I've gotten ahold of myself.  

Congratulations to your daughter.  I jumped off that cliff.....errr....joined my wife in holy matrimony last year.  

I think its interesting that while most of you guys are griping about work keeping you from posting.  It took me getting a 40 hour job in a desk to get me to post on any kind of regular basis.  Hope I don't jinx myself.        
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Still lurking about
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 02:25:59 PM »

Congratulations to your daughter.  I jumped off that cliff.....errr....joined my wife in holy matrimony last year.  

I've been happily married now for ten years, which isn't too bad out of a 28 year union.

Yep....married the missus back in 1977. Married the hell out of her.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Still lurking about
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 02:44:24 PM »
Yep....married the missus back in 1977. Married the hell out of her.

Raunchy!! :couch:

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Still lurking about
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 04:12:31 PM »
....joined my wife in holy matrimony last year.

Don't believe him!  I was at the bachelor party!  I know better!

Alright I've gotten ahold of myself.

I thought your wife was taking care of that for you now....

Actually, in all seriousness, buddy, congrats coming up to you and Shannyn on Sunday...one year.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

jn

Still lurking about
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 12:41:14 PM »
Hey Lurker.  Good to hear from you.   :cheers: Here's hoping you can sneak on more often.  Congrats to you and your family! A wedding and championship.  I'm jealous!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Still lurking about
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 02:53:33 PM »
yo Lurker LTNS!  I hope you are seeing the Spurs just pummel the Pistons.  So much for the East being so strong and the title staying out there for a while.

Congrads to your family!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com