Author Topic: Webber's high school career tainted  (Read 3313 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Webber's high school career tainted
« on: March 01, 2004, 01:52:10 PM »
Is this really fair to the school?  It's not their fault Webber is a cheater/criminal.  Then again he should not have been playing at all.  Tough spot for the school.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/bask...r.ap/index.html

Report: Webber was ineligible in high school

Posted: Monday March 1, 2004 9:03AM; Updated: Monday March 1, 2004 9:03AM

DETROIT (AP) -- Chris Webber was ineligible when he played basketball in high school because of his relationship with booster Ed Martin, the Detroit Free Press reported Monday.

The Michigan High School Athletic Association made the ruling Sunday, saying Webber was ineligible during the time he played at Birmingham Detroit Country Day, the newspaper reported. The association's executive director also urged the school to forfeit the three state championships it won with Webber.

Martin, who died Feb. 14, 2003, said he gave Webber and his family $280,000 from 1988-93, a period extending from his freshman year of high school through his sophomore season at the University of Michigan. Webber left for the NBA after helping the Wolverines reach the NCAA title game in both of his college seasons.

Webber, who now plays for the Sacramento Kings, was sentenced to community service last summer after pleading guilty to criminal contempt for lying to a grand jury about his dealings with Martin.

Jack Roberts, executive director of the MHSAA, said he found overwhelming evidence that the Webbers -- Chris; his father, Mayce Webber Jr.; and an aunt, Charlene Johnson -- received gifts and money that violated Webber's amateur standing, making him ineligible to compete in high school athletics.

"I think they should do it [forfeit the titles]," Roberts told the newspaper. "I've said it at the first, second and third meetings with them that they should voluntarily forfeit the contests and return the team championships and get it over."

Kurt Keener, Country Day's basketball coach and athletic director, said the school's headmaster would hold a news conference Monday or Tuesday to explain the situation.

Keener said he spoke with Webber's parents, who denied receiving gifts that would violate their son's amateur standing. Keener said he also spoke to Webber's attorney, who said his amateur standing had not been violated.

Martin gave $616,000 in illicit benefits to Webber, Robert Traylor, Maurice Taylor and Louis Bullock -- who all starred at Michigan.

Officials from Detroit Murray-Wright, where Traylor played high school basketball, voluntarily forfeited every game won during Traylor's senior season.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 02:06:53 PM »
:o  = my surprised face!

I don't even think that Kings fans are surprised anymore.  What I will be surprised about?  If the High School gives back the trophies voluntarily.  And of course the family doesn't think that they took any money -- but they already convicted CWebb's father of lying too, didn't they?

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 02:14:07 PM »
It happens. In fact, I heard that Kobe Bryant took illegal payments ALL THROUGH COLLEGE!
Paul

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 02:36:25 PM »
Seriously, why is Chris Webber the focus of this manhunt?  Going back to his high school days? I'm sure there were others, hell, didn't Lebron get a new Hummer during high school?
Paul

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 03:44:13 PM »
Now it just looks like they are being vindictive. It just makes the whole lot of them look petty.

Besides, it no longer affects Webber. He has been sanctioned, suspended, lost salary, and has been labelled a liar. Are we now supposed to react to this?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 05:55:13 PM »
Nope, it's obvious -- we don't care whether you lie, cheat, steal, rape people, etc., etc., etc. as long as you can play basketball.  If you can play ball, all will be forgiven -- if you can't, of course, we are going to lock you up and throw away the key.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 06:07:10 PM »
No one has been 'forgiven'. Kobe has a trial to get through. Webber was convicted, suspended, lost salary, not to mention credibility, and his sentence, besides community service, has yet to be determined.

Where has the forgiveness exactly come into it yet?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 06:18:58 PM »
Don't you actually admit you were wrong and apologize before getting forgiveness?  It's the way it works around here.  It's not that hard, is it?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 06:26:13 PM »
Don't you actually admit you were wrong and apologize before getting forgiveness?  It's the way it works around here.  It's not that hard, is it?
Actually, that's not the Webber family mantra.  They're more into deny, deny and if all else fails, deny.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2004, 08:03:57 PM »
Actually, that's not the Webber family mantra. They're more into deny, deny and if all else fails, deny.

Actually it does seem that way. Webber must be saving his comments until the national media start insisting he answer some questions about all of this. He has avoided saying anything at all locally, and only spoke to some local media when Petrie insisted he do so just prior to being activated and suspended.

But hey, he's back and all of that will be forgiven once the King's fans give him a standing ovation tomorrow night, right?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2004, 09:55:54 PM »
All in all, I don't see why you can pay kids, or "sponser" kids in boxing and not in other sports.

Not that boxing is all that honest, but at least they're honest in that regard.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2004, 12:55:28 AM »
Actually, that's not the Webber family mantra. They're more into deny, deny and if all else fails, call a timeout

that sounds more like it.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2004, 02:00:38 AM »
Who cares if his high school Career is tainted.  High School basketball is for high schoolers and fathers who couldn't play the game themselves at that age.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 02:01:06 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com